Forum Index > Trail Talk > Patagonia catalog photo location oops
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jan 27, 2010 2:26 pm 
A photographer's exhuberance prompts an unfortunate choice in photo location. I have a pdf of the photo, but can’t figure out how to get it into a jpg for posting to flickr (if that’s possible). But – it’s on age 38, current Patagonia magazine - the photo was taken by an independent contractor. A Forest Service seasonal employee recognized the location of this photo of bikes on the PCT (Pickhandle Point is the green pointy mountain in the background). I understand the photographers and bicyclists each received tickets from the Forest Service, who also, as a good neighbor gesture, contacted Patagonia. Patagonia issued a gracious statement on their blog regarding the incident.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Jan 27, 2010 2:43 pm 
It was a gracious statement, but what kind of environmentally-conscious company (as Patagonia often proclaims) doesn't offer their magazine in some format other than dead trees?

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jan 27, 2010 2:46 pm 
I'm not prepared for a conversation of such magnitude. In other words..... I dunno.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Backpackapalooza

Backpackapalooza
PostWed Jan 27, 2010 3:38 pm 
you could take a screen shot of the pdf in jpeg format and then post it!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jan 27, 2010 5:32 pm 
I don't think it was so gracious. Take this quote: "We understand the contentiousness surrounding access issues, but we also respect the rules of Wilderness and the rights of hikers on the PCT" It appears they are saying "It's stupid that we can't ride our bikes on the PCT, but we'll obey the stupid rule anyway", even though of course they didn't obey it. Not until they got caught, that is. down.gif down.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jan 27, 2010 5:35 pm 
Slug, that's a good point about the opening phrase. They could have chosen better verbiage, but I don't have the same paranoia you do about their intent. The photo was taken by an independent contractor, not by Patagonia. Once they found out about the infraction, they posted the blog, and in a way that offends no particular user-group. Doing so would put a ding in business. I amended to original post to make it clear that the photo was not taken by a Patagonia employee, so the persons who "got caught" does not include Patagonia.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostWed Jan 27, 2010 5:38 pm 
well
Patagonia should recall all the catalogs, shred and reprint them, sans the offending photo.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 27, 2010 6:00 pm 
They should send a free soft shell to everyone who got a catalog (like me) as a means of atonement wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Jan 27, 2010 6:17 pm 
Quark wrote:
I have a pdf of the photo, but can’t figure out how to get it into a jpg for posting to flickr (if that’s possible).
Click in the picture and it will turn hashed-blue. Then right-click and select "save as", select the "jpg" format and location and hit the button.

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostWed Jan 27, 2010 11:03 pm 
I confess to once mtn biking a portion of the PCT. But I did feel (slightly) guilty and would probably get all bent out of shape now if I caught someone else doing it. I'm such a hypocrite. But it was a lovely ride. And the only people I encountered for the day were on the access trail (west fk methow) which is open to bikes.