Forum Index > Partners > Redmond Vertical World Thursdays@6 or 6:30am???
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostTue Mar 16, 2010 9:54 am 
Not really hiking but…. I’m thinking about training at the Redmond Vertical World at 6 or 6:30am on Thursdays (I have to look at what traffics like….). I’m pretty new to this whole gym climbing thing but I’m hoping it will increase my strength and technique for real rock. I’m down for bouldering problems and top roping (I don’t know if you have to pass some test at VW for leading). If you’re interested, post up! -Collin

North by Northwest
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostTue Mar 16, 2010 1:03 pm 
Hey Collin I'm interested! Although I don't have a membership, I hear there is such a thing as your first time free or something like that... is that true?

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Mar 16, 2010 1:15 pm 
Vertical World members can bring a guest in for free if it is the guest's first time at the gym (though if you don't have harness or shoes you still have to rent them). You do have to pass a lead test to lead at VW. You have to pass a belay test to belay on top rope as well.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostTue Mar 16, 2010 4:48 pm 
Flow wrote:
Hey Collin I'm interested! Although I don't have a membership, I hear there is such a thing as your first time free or something like that... is that true?
Yeah Josh, for sure. I think its free the first time, like Yana said... What time do you start school?
Yana wrote:
Vertical World members can bring a guest in for free if it is the guest's first time at the gym (though if you don't have harness or shoes you still have to rent them). You do have to pass a lead test to lead at VW. You have to pass a belay test to belay on top rope as well.
Thanks Yana! I did the belay check and im sure the lead test wont be any harder.

North by Northwest
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostTue Mar 16, 2010 8:48 pm 
RokIzGud wrote:
Flow wrote:
Yeah Josh, for sure. I think its free the first time, like Yana said... What time do you start school?
Well I start school at 7:20 a.m. but I would think you would rather know when I get out. wink.gif Which is at 2:20 p.m. I have my own rock shoes and such, or else why would I try to be climbing this year! biggrin.gif

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Mar 16, 2010 10:40 pm 
Are you a member, Collin? It's only free the first time if as a first time guest you are going with a member of Vertical World. Also, the lead test has requirements, and it is harder, and they can't always do it right on the spot, either. You have to either have taken their lead class OR have a certain amount of outdoor lead experience (it's been a while so I forget the specifics of what they want). And obviously the person belaying you has to be lead checked as well. Anyway, you two have fun!

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostWed Mar 17, 2010 6:49 am 
Yana wrote:
Are you a member, Collin? It's only free the first time if as a first time guest you are going with a member of Vertical World. Also, the lead test has requirements, and it is harder, and they can't always do it right on the spot, either. You have to either have taken their lead class OR have a certain amount of outdoor lead experience (it's been a while so I forget the specifics of what they want). And obviously the person belaying you has to be lead checked as well. Anyway, you two have fun!
Im not quite sure how it works from yet.... The college Im going to pays an annual fee to let there outdoor club students climb there. I might not be able to hook Jush up but I am able to climb there whenever there open, take the belay and the lead test. I asked a buddy that works there and he said I could take it will in the evenin sometime. I have quite a bit of sport leading experiance so im feeling pretty confident. Josh, right now with the new quarter of class starting soon I dont know how often I will be able to climb in the evening but I will def. try and work something out.

North by Northwest