Forum Index > Partners > Denali NP and Southern Alaska, June 6- July 6, 2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
willemspie

willemspie
PostWed Mar 31, 2010 1:59 am 
I'll be hiking/backcountry camping in Denali National Park and in Southern Alaska (Anchorage/Seward) between June 6 and July 6, 2010. I'm Belgian, 53, very experienced hiker but 1st timer in Alaska. Do you want to join me ? Pierre (only for good hikers able to carry a 22-kg backpack for several days)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Mar 31, 2010 8:38 am 
eek.gif this sound like a great adventure, if two of yu can git along, I would like 3-4 on a trip like this, so the group could split up, but permits probably prevent this,.... are you getting dropped off by the train?...or shuttle bus....you should look up some reports from hikers here... I have heard that the terrain is so huge you can't plan a 15-20 mile day, just take it easy and relaxed... is there a loop or through hike (road to train, ) where ya can get picked up? I remember some-one here talking with a ranger and getting great info on a remote area, something like 20m. one way and then back out the same way..... ANYBODY???? I hope to go someday! EDIT: J ust found some great info. like staying at wonder lake get's you an advantage for gittin a permitt 1-2 days ahead of others...right?

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed Mar 31, 2010 10:30 am 
I would love to! If there was any state I've wanted to visit for many years, its Alaska! We should go for some pre-trips if I can tag along on this.

ChrisSJI

ChrisSJI
PostWed Mar 31, 2010 10:35 am 
I grew up in Alaska but have never done a backcountry trip in Denali. I never really have had the desire to play the permit game when there are so many other awesome places to go in the state. Denali's great and you won't regret it but I think there are other places worth checkin out. I give a big up.gif up.gif for Wrangle-St. Elias. Sure it's a further drive from Anchorage and to do it right you should fly in but it is an incredible place. I guarantee you you won't find see another soul. And if the weather is looking crappy, the pilots at McCarthy Air or Wrangle Mountain Air can fly you out to another equally sweet area. Other super awesome destinations would be up in the Brooks Range (Gates of the Arctic NP is still a top destination for me), or Lake Clark NP, get there before they build the Pebble Mine nearby and wreck the place. Oh, and Gnomee, there is no place on this entire planet with a higher mosquito concentration than Wonder Lake. Especially at that time of year.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Mar 31, 2010 8:29 pm 
GET A HEAD NET....OR YOUR GONNA DIE!!~!~!!!!!!

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed Mar 31, 2010 9:21 pm 
forest gnome wrote:
GET A HEAD NET....OR YOUR GONNA DIE!!~!~!!!!!!
I'll keep that in mind, I acually did not consider that until that, perhaps that just make my trip a little less epic. wink.gif

EJ

EJ
PostWed Mar 31, 2010 9:52 pm 
ditto.gif on the head net! While I didn't do any backpacking in Denali, I did spend 4 nights at Wonder Lake and mosquitoes just about drove me crazy. This view, however, did help with my sanity:
A picture of Mt McKinley taken at about 4 am from my campsite at Wonder Lake, Denali National Park.
A picture of Mt McKinley taken at about 4 am from my campsite at Wonder Lake, Denali National Park.

willemspie

willemspie
PostThu Apr 01, 2010 1:10 am 
The trip to Denali NP will be from June 8 to June 17, 2 first nights camping at Riley C (park entrance), then one night at Wonder Lake, then 6 nights in the backcountry.