Forum Index > Photography Talk > Interesting program for DSLR users
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostTue May 11, 2004 6:49 pm 
http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/software/optics-pro.shtml Bummer that it only works with JPG's your camera produced. Will be awesome as soon as they get RAW files supported, and more lenses. Might not be of interest to a lot of people, but I think it looks neat!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 11, 2004 11:11 pm 
Looks pretty cool. I'm not sure why Reichmann was whining so much about lack of RAW support though...
Quote:
I must admit that the samples are not as extensive and descriptive as I would have wished. Two reasons — the first is that I don't shoot JPG. Over the past year I've shot probably 15,000 frames with some of the camera bodies and lenses that Optics Pro supports, but not a single one of them is anything other than RAW. So I have no decent JPG images to go back to.
Well unless I'm missing something he has 15,000 RAW files that he can convert to JPG any day of the week. doh.gif

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostTue May 11, 2004 11:35 pm 
Well, he was whining because as the program sits now it can only read jpg's that were written by the camera, not converted from raw. Or from a scan, etc for that matter. Will be waiting for his updated review when it does support raw. Another thought is when he uses his 10d, it can't shoot just raw, so there is/was a jpg generated when he took the raw.. hmm... have to look up his workflow to see what he does with those. Probably sets it to raw/small jpg, and doesn't extract/keep them. Wonder what percentage of those 15k were taken with the 10d.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 11, 2004 11:44 pm 
I can't see why that would be the case. The JPG coming out of the camera is created from a RAW file, so it shouldn't make any difference whether the camera produced the JPG or external RAW software created it.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed May 12, 2004 12:11 am 
Reichman seems to get irked by some odd things, and doesn't seem to be bothered by things that a lot of other people complain about (CA / PF on the Sony 828 for example). They don't necessarily have to write RAW support in, but TIF support would be greatly appreciated (for printing purposes).