Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu May 20, 2010 10:28 am 
realityguy wrote:
Ozette's is pretty obvious where you have to park there..just follow the road past the ranger's station to the right over the small bridge and put your pass or your ONP pass on the dashboard..no charge.
Just to be clear: there is a $15 entrance fee to ONP at Ozette. There is no booth, though, so you pay it by putting cash or check into a receptacle. If you have the national park entry pass ($50 year), or the America the Beautiful pass, then displaying that takes care of it. But your ONP backcountry camping permit/fee does not cover entry to the park at a paid entry location. I did two such BP trips last year, had no annual pass, but still didn't have to pay, because both times I started my trip on a fee-free weekend, once by design, once by chance. biggrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ejain

ejain
PostThu May 20, 2010 10:38 am 
Slugman wrote:
If you have the national park entry pass ($50 year), or the America the Beautiful pass, then displaying that takes care of it.
I noticed that the payment envelope forms have a field to enter your pass number, so I wonder if you're supposed to fill one out even if you have a pass (and don't need to pay). I couldn't be bothered and just hung my pass...

HikeIntoTheSun

HikeIntoTheSun
PostThu May 20, 2010 3:58 pm 
Hello there...
Hello, 5 friends and I are backpacking from Rialto Beach to Ozette on Memorial Day weekend. When are you planning your trip? I'm also looking for shuttle options. We are coming from Portland, Oregon and would ideally like to take 1 vehicle.

realityguy

Location: 95% Lynnwood,5% Joyce..wish it was the other way around!
realityguy
PostThu May 20, 2010 4:39 pm 
I went about 2 weeks ago and walked into the ranger station next to the larger restrooms.The female ranger(want to say Lena..something starting with an 'L'..or you might get Al,who I walked a portion of the beach with) said just to place my pass(annual) on the dashboard but they do want your license plate number for the written BC permit.I think if you hit the ozette ranger station late in the afternoon(by the sound of it),they should be open and you can talk to them about what is necessary,beach/weather conditions,maps,etc..rather than using the drop box.If you get there later,use the drop box. I'm up there often enough that I just buy an annual pass and use that the entire year without any access problems anywhere.I show it and ID at park entrance kiosks and leave the pass on the dash when I hike. The rangers regulary walk the beaches(on their days off and while working) and can give you a pretty good idea of CURRENT conditions down there where you are going.With the current storm,I'd be more inclined to get an updated daily report or as late as possible.You may be camping amongst a lot of "moving logs"..one of the reasons why I went the other direction..and limitted spaces that were taken that sounded like they were pretty open to weather.(Talk to the janitor if you see him,full beard..he's pretty cool and up on conditions of what's where and what's happening down there..) I was going to camp at Seafield Creek..but they(the rangers) noticed some mountain bikers sneaking in and said they may have been headed there..so allowed me the option of hiking back and staying at the North Ozette campground if necessary to get away from them.At Seafield..I changed my mind and didn't camp at either and hiked back out,trying to get as much hiking in as possible in the ONP in a few days instead. The mountain bikers weren't there..probably went all the way to Shi-shi or camping in the woods.I had about 5 miles of sunburned beach to myself if I wanted it..and that was on a saturday. wink.gif

realityguy

Location: 95% Lynnwood,5% Joyce..wish it was the other way around!
realityguy
PostThu May 20, 2010 4:45 pm 
One more note..your Back Country Permit is supposed to be attached to your pack.Rangers on the beach or trail WILL check those permits and where you are supposed to be camping..make sure you take that portion with you on the beach!

nice_marmot

nice_marmot
PostFri May 21, 2010 1:57 pm 
Hi all, thanks for all the info! HikeIntoTheSun, we're heading out there this weekend. With 6 of you, the $150 shuttle splits up pretty cheap, get in touch with goallpoints, linked above. Probably best to book soon, for Memorial Day. Time to hit the road, long drive ahead!