Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ingalls Creek - unusual hiker alert
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
T Mary

T Mary
PostMon May 24, 2010 9:12 am 
We had a great backpack trip to Falls Creek camp this weekend--fine weather until our final 15 minutes out to the trailhead, when it dumped rain and hail on us. Great wildflowers; the balsam root was past prime, but still lots of trillium, paintbrush, lupine and all the other usual suspects. When we hiked out on Sunday afternoon we encounted encountered an unusual man about a mile from the trailhead. He was dragging an enormous canvas duffle bag, a suitcase on wheels and an empty water container--probably held 25 gallons. It's a wonder he made it in as far as he did with this unlikely gear, but reading the signs he left behind on the trail, it looked like he had camped somewhere closer to the trailhead on Saturday night and started hiking again on Sunday. He was wearing jeans and a flannel shirt when we saw him, smelled a little like alcohol and claimed to be hiking to Snoqualmie Pass, the PCT and Pyramid Peak. There was no incident and he was polite when we talked with him, but be forewarned that an odd individual is out there right now.

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon May 24, 2010 9:13 am 
Please report this to the ranger station!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
T Mary

T Mary
PostMon May 24, 2010 9:14 am 
Already reported!

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RichP

RichP
PostMon May 24, 2010 9:22 am 
Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostMon May 24, 2010 9:24 am 
I saw that guy also..weirdo! I was coming back from my camp at Cascade Creek yesterday afternoon. I marveled at the drag marks lefrt by his giant suitcase and wondered at his water jug. I kept looking back behind me the rest of the way to the trailhead paranoid.gif Edit: I just saw the picture of "Robert"---yeah, it's the same guy.

"Make it your Friend" -John Bull
Mikey

Mikey
PostMon May 24, 2010 1:14 pm 
On Sat May 22nd at about 4:30pm as we departed. we saw this chap dragging a suitcase on wheels up the road towards the Ingalls Creek Trailhead. He also had a dufflebag, etc. It appeared he was moving his stuff towards the trailhead parking area and it was too much for him to carry or drag so he was going back and forth.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon May 24, 2010 2:59 pm 
Sounds like Robert. Not a big deal...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
soreyes

soreyes
PostMon May 24, 2010 3:20 pm 
I read through some 'Robert threads' last year. Once you get the vision of that guy inn your head, it's hard to forget. A seemingly heavy backpack get's a lot lighter when thinking of the trunk. What seems like a long trail isn't after imagining retracing steps to schlep the trunk.

rebooting
T Mary

T Mary
PostMon May 24, 2010 8:21 pm 
You know, I'm really glad I posted this and learned about Robert. I'll never forget this trip because I met him on the trail. But an encounter with Robert on the trail IS a big deal, if you haven't ever heard about him. I wished him good luck when we parted, and I hope he makes it to Snoqualmie Pass. Reading the other trip reports from previous years, I have no doubt that he'll get there eventually.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon May 24, 2010 9:32 pm 
wow go robert GO !!!!!