Forum Index > Trail Talk > MFK Road
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 6:55 pm 
TB - How tall is the lift on your Cherokee? And how much did it cost you? I've contemplated putting one on my Jeep, but aside from the costs, I am afraid that it wouldn't drive nearly as well on the road, and that's part of why I love it so much. It doesn't drive so much like a truck; it drives like a station wagon. Mine's a 93 Grand Cherokee with 235/75/R15 Cooper Discoverer A/Ts. Hardly ever have problems getting to where I want to go (that is, unless I run into a LOCKED GATE!!! rant.gif ) I carry a full-sized spare, but not innertubes or patches or onboard air or anything. By the way, what do you use innertubes for? Also, I have a concern. All I have is my stock, cheapy bottle jack. It works if I'm on pavement, but I'd hesitate to use it if I was on the side of a hill on a dirt road. I know I should get a good floor jack or something, but I wonder about the extra weight and gas mileage. (Then again, I guess a little less gas mileage is worth not getting stuck out in the middle of nowhere because I didn't bring a good jack.) Any good suggestions on what type of jack/where I could get a good deal on one?

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Airhead

Airhead
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 7:09 pm 
Also, some advice on an onboard compressor would be appreciated.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 8:33 pm 
Roger that people. First off the grand is a great rig. I have a NORMAL (read cheaper) cherokee. Here is a pic of it: 6 inch offroad general store lift. 33" bfg's, ARB air lockers, 4.56 gears, dana 44 rear end with disks breaks, 32 gallon northwest metal products fuel tank, ARB front bumper with PIAA lights and a Warn XD9000 winch. 4 litre with auto, roof rack with a HIGHLIFT (48") jack and a forest products multi tool. The lift was 2,000 installed! They arent cheap. But know this, quality lifts DO NOT UPSET THE RIDE OR HANDLING OF YOUR RIG! Get a highlift 48" jack (40.00) I'd get a roof rack to carry it on too. If not then put it inside. If we go together I'll take care of your vehicle needs, if need be. I use my ARB compressor to air up my tires. BUT, I have two quick air two compressors as spares. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 8:57 pm 
TB - You forgot to mention the snorkel. WHAT IN THE HECK ARE YOU GOING TO USE A SNORKEL FOR? Do you take it swimming too? lol.gif So you've got your rig quite pimped out. And just what are you going to do with a 32 gallon gas tank? Number one, how did you fit it under there? And number two, where are you going to go that will require 32 gallons of gas between gas stations???? Oh, one more thing. You know how I was mentioning that I had hooks in the front but not in the back? You got any suggestions on what I might do to inexpensively, but with quality, remedy that problem?

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 9:13 pm 
Had water over the hood twice! The tank ROCKS! I can make a full trip around the north cascades sans gas station! I drove to phoenix once no ONE fill up! Hey, the only time you have to much gas on board is when you're on fire! Tuff part about the hooks business is that your rig has a UNIBODY! No frame. The only REAL way to get your hooks is thru a trailer tow package, (use the uniframe mount) or thru an after market rear bumper! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dante

Dante
PostFri Jun 14, 2002 7:57 am 
So when is this work party?
I've got a stock 2000 Volkswagen Golf diesel with 4 1/2" of ground clearance, but I can drive to TBs and ride up in one of his monster trucks. If I can make it, I'd be happy to provide labor, supervision and/or company smile.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jun 20, 2002 10:33 am 
good news. They are planning on clearing the road and their repair assessor is headed up there early next week to determine how large a crew will be needed to move the logs and regrade that 50 stretch. Desk lady said it would probably be open by the 4th.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Hiker Bill

Hiker Bill
PostThu Jun 20, 2002 11:37 am 
Roger that Mr. Goat. Thanks for the info. I guess our party will have to have some other (better) motivation..... Thomas B. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster