Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > PCT Trail Maintenance - S of Stampede Pass, Sat, Sept 25
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 3:31 pm 
There is an opportunity for volunteers to help the PCT south of Stampede Pass this coming Saturday, September 25th. This stretch of the trail is in dire need of brushing. The Forest Service has identified at least 2 miles of trail they would like brushed. Both the WTA and PCTA have been asked by the Forest Service to help out. [The WTA will be working this same general area from the 28th of September to the 1st of October]. The work party this coming weekend is a PCTA sanctioned event. Us volunteers have been out to this particular area on the 4th and again this last Saturday (as well as up near Ollalie Meadows on the 14th-15th, 22nd of August and again on Sept 3rd). In addition, a group of PCTA volunteers will be out in this area on the 22nd. This call for volunteers is for this coming Saturday, the 25th. We'll be employing (assuming sufficient numbers) a combination of the PCTA's brush saw (yes, power tools) and loppers to cut back the significant volume of encroaching brush on this stretch of trail. All who are capable of safely operating and willing to do so will have an opportunity to use the saw. No prior trail maintenance experience is required. All tools and hard hats are provided. Requirements: A commitment to be safe, long pants and sleeves, boots (no running shoes, sandals, etc.), work gloves (some loaners available), a day pack with water, snacks, lunch and other weather appropriate clothing (rain gear, warm layer, etc). If you're interested or have questions, let me know no later than Thursday evening at tokencivilian AT yahoo DOT com Exact details of the meeting time location will be forwarded to those that are interested. Tentative plans are about 8:30 am meeting time and probably just off of Exit 62, I-90, with a convoy of 20-30 minutes from there to the work zone about 3 miles south of Stampede Pass. The hike in from the road crossing is only a few minutes. We'll call it a day around 2:30 or 3:00, or earlier if the weather is especially nasty. I've also cross posted this request for volunteers to the PCT-L, where you'll note I've posted several in the past month for the above noted previous events. Thanks for your consideration. Barry AKA Token Civilian PCT '06

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Sep 21, 2010 9:11 pm 
You mentioned another work party on Oct 3rd; I'm interested in that. For some odd reason, I like the PCT south of Snoqualmie Pass. Glad to know the PCTA now has a local office/representative. up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Bigfoot Jim

Bigfoot Jim
PostTue Sep 21, 2010 9:35 pm 
Quark, come out and join us. I'll be there.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Sep 21, 2010 9:41 pm 
Jim, I may be able to join WTA for a day or so during the week. That would be cool. up.gif I want to help PCTA out as well; same work, of course, but a show of live bodies under their flag can be a good boost to them.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Bigfoot Jim

Bigfoot Jim
PostTue Sep 21, 2010 9:44 pm 
I'm coming out on the 3rd with PCTA Can't make the WTA trips..Holden Village calls

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Sep 21, 2010 9:45 pm 
Oct 3rd it is, then. up.gif

Bigfoot Jim

Bigfoot Jim
PostTue Sep 21, 2010 9:47 pm 
good. Great crew leader too

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostTue Sep 21, 2010 9:48 pm 
Watch for a post with info for the October 3rd work. If you'd like, I can PM it to you as well. Suzanne Wilson is the PCTA rep for the north cascades region. She opened the Seattle office in January. She came up from the So Cal office. I got hold of her earlier this year and volunteered to help maintain the trail. She set me (and another guy, an ACL with the WTA) with all the paperwork and permissions from the FS to put together sanctioned but informal work parties. Expect to do a few minutes of paperwork the first time out. The area we will be working is one that the FS identified as being in dire need of help. In talking with thru hikers this last weekend, they say the area in need of brushing extends for miles. With the PCTA's brush saw a crew of three can clear about 500' of trail to spec width in a modest day. With more people, we would put loppers to work and get even more done. In the ollalie meadows area, we cleared about 1500' in August and early September. On the stampede pass south project, we've done about 630' so far (one day with the saw and since we were below minimum crew size, we resorted to loppers on Saturday).

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostTue Sep 21, 2010 9:52 pm 
Jim is the other guy that Suzanne set up to lead / organize. Wuhoo...already have critical mass for the 3rd.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Sep 21, 2010 9:55 pm 
I met Suzanne at the families outdoors thingy earlier this summer, and at WTA's office. Glad to see there will be lots of good things coming from PCTA in our area. Welcome, welcome. up.gif

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostThu Sep 23, 2010 8:45 am 
I heard from Jim last night via e-mail on their accomplishments for the day: They brushed 450' to standard and roughed out another 150' on top of that. We're still looking for folks for this coming Saturday. Weather is supposed to be pretty good - Weather.com has Snoqualmie Pass as Partly Cloudy, 65 for the high and 0% on the precip. PM me here or e-mail ASAP to tokencivilian at yahoo dot com if you're interested in joining up.

Bigfoot Jim

Bigfoot Jim
PostThu Sep 23, 2010 9:09 pm 
Barry needs some folks this Saturday. Come on out and cut some brush. AND The berries are ripe!

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostSat Sep 25, 2010 6:39 pm 
We cleared 360' to standard from scratch and another 150' that had been partially done by Jim's crew on Wednesday. So far, that makes 1,590 feet of the trail that the PCTA volunteers have cleared to standard in the stampede pass south project area. Other crews have also cleared 1,070 feet of trail in this project area. The WTA will be working this area Tuesday through Friday. The PCTA will be back out again on Sunday October 3rd. Look for a fresh announcement for that volunteer opportunity, or join one of the WTA crews this coming week and help out the PCT in Washington.