Forum Index > Trip Reports > Three Volcanoes And A Rock
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Dec 17, 2010 6:54 pm 
Part of the deal I struck with my boss that enabled me to take time off for the Greece and Egypt trip this Spring was to work a promotional gig in Oregon in the middle of July. Bummer! During the height of mountaineering season, on one of the best weekends, I would be stuck working. But then I started thinking about the volcanoes. My counter offer to my boss was to get a company vehicle and a couple of extra days to get back to Washington after the work was done. He accepted.
Paulina Peak
Paulina Peak
USGS Marker
USGS Marker
Lakes Overlook
Lakes Overlook
Each day I worked I would stare at the three sisters which were visible from the parking lot. After getting off early from my position one afternoon I snuck over to check out Paulina Peak (7985) and Newberry Crater which has a couple lakes and a huge obsidian flow. It was really just a drive up to the rim of an old volcanic crater, but at least it got me over 7000 feet.
South Sister, South Ridge
South Sister, South Ridge
Mount Bachelor Seen From South Sister
Mount Bachelor Seen From South Sister
Broken Top
Broken Top
Small Lake Below The Lewis Glacier
Small Lake Below The Lewis Glacier
Lewis Glacier Runoff
Lewis Glacier Runoff
Then finally the weekend ended. My friend Robbin drove down from Washington to meet me that evening and we went to the trailhead for South Sister (10,358 feet) which is the highest in the Three Sisters Wilderness. We got an early start the next morning and made good time on the south ridge. Near the base of the Lewis Glacier we passed a small lake and from there it wasn't far to the summit. On top we had views of the other volcanoes to the north including Middle Sister, North Sister, Three Fingered Jack, Mount Jefferson, and Mount Hood. We descend quickly making good time even though I took us a little off route.
High On The South Ridge
High On The South Ridge
Near The Summit
Near The Summit
The Summit
The Summit
Happy Peakbaggers
Happy Peakbaggers
We had planned to do Mount Bachelor (9065 feet) the next day but there was plenty of daylight left and we were both feeling good so we decided to go for it. We followed the ski lifts on the north ridge and once again made good time getting to the summit although we were both feeling a little tired after 7600 feet of gain. On the summit we met a man from Florida that was also in town for business. His exuberance for being in such an amazing place was contagious. We felt sorry for him living in such a flat place.
Mount Bachelor
Mount Bachelor
Florida Man On Bachelor Summit
Florida Man On Bachelor Summit
I Count 7 Volcanoes
I Count 7 Volcanoes
We sat on the summit for about a half hour talking, laughing and just being happy to be alive. We bid our friend farewell and turned back to the north ridge. Snow conditions were perfect and I was able to do a standing glissade that lasted for (((2000 FEET))). As my friends know, I love standing glissades and this was the best one to date. We came down 2000 feet in about 18 minutes. Back at the car, there was still plenty of daylight left. I looked at Robbin and half-joking asked her which one we were going to do next. Even if we had wanted to, I was all out of beta so that would have to do.
On A Ledge
On A Ledge
Sawtooth Ridge
Sawtooth Ridge
Exposure
Exposure
High Rock Lookout
High Rock Lookout
We agreed to drive north and spend the night in the parking lot at the Mount Hood ski area, so we could admire an even bigger volcano. I've slept there before and even thought I pitched a tent, nobody bothered us. The next morning I was able to get reception on my internet phone so I looked up the information for High Rock (5685 feet). Got it, bingo! Time for one last hurrah before going home. The trail to High Rock was short and easy so I convinced Robbin not to carry her pack. We just put some snacks in our pockets and went up. High Rock is inside the triangle of big volcanoes. From the lookout we could see Mount Saint Helens, Mount Adams, and Mount Rainier. We were closest to Mount Rainier. The view of Washington's highest volcano, just a handful of hours after seeing Oregon's highest, was just as impressive if not more so.
High Rock Lookout and Rainier
High Rock Lookout and Rainier
Very Happy Peakbaggers
Very Happy Peakbaggers
Rainier Detail
Rainier Detail

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostFri Dec 17, 2010 7:44 pm 
I like these 'off-season' reports - Thanks for posting it up.gif

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Dec 17, 2010 9:31 pm 
Wow, still enough in the tank to do Bachelor in the same day. Doesn't sound too "gimpy" to me. up.gif South Sister has been a permanent fixture on my list. Every summer I do some messin' around on Hood when I visit family in Portland. Maybe this year I'll try and get down there. As David said, nice inspiring blue sky summer warmth report.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Dec 17, 2010 10:49 pm 
Volcano hogging! I love it. up.gif up.gif

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSat Dec 18, 2010 12:00 am 
Great report Gimp. There are a couple more peaks down there that ae on my list!!!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSun Dec 19, 2010 9:15 pm 
Greg, When you go back, let's go together. I had a permit for Middle Sister but Robbin had an upcoming job interview that held us back. So I too must return. Adam

Mopti Sévaré
Mopti Sévaré

Mopti Sévaré
Mopti Sévaré
PostTue Mar 07, 2023 5:23 pm 
Hey, just curious to know if you know of a route that goes down on the NW or West side of South Sister [along Lost Creek Glacier] in order to reach Chambers lakes. I am planning on scrambling South and Middle this summer and cannot seem to find any beta on that route...even though it looks feasible on maps and google earth. Cheers

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Mar 08, 2023 9:03 pm 
Hey, wish I had something useful I could pass along. Honestly, I don't know much about this area. Anyone else out there have any ideas?