Forum Index > Trail Talk > Canada-US Border Crossing
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
REJ

REJ
PostMon Jul 01, 2002 1:11 pm 
I am planning to spend some vacation time hiking in Canada this summer and was wondering what documentation I need to cross the Canada-US border? In the past (pre 9/11) I rarely had to produce anything other than a driver's license. I have heard that proof of citizenship such as passport, birth certificates, etc. are now mandatory. I don't have a copy of my birth certificate handy and my passport is expired. Any experience on what documentation they are asking for at the border would be appreciated!!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostMon Jul 01, 2002 1:31 pm 
Went to B.C 3 months ago. Had passport and had no problems. I think passport is best way to go. Good luck! BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
MounTAIN Woman

MounTAIN Woman
PostMon Jul 01, 2002 2:23 pm 
I would renew that passport ASAP. The passport is by far the easiest identification to use to cross the border. Otherwise, I have also used a birth certificate with driver's license, but that was pre-9/11 (it may still work). The problem with birth certificates is that they have to have a raised seal. Notarized copies are no good. You can always call the department of vital statistics in the county where you were born, and request a copy of your birth certificate. For a nominal fee they will mail you one.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Jul 01, 2002 5:31 pm 
Have crossed twice since 9/11. I used a DL and BC both times and my friend had passport both times. Absolutely no problems We just handed over the papers the second we stopped and that was it. Just the usual questions. They appreceated having things ready. Renew the passport or be gettin' the BC. I plan on being up there this weekend and will let you know how it goes. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 01, 2002 6:26 pm 
Go and see the Bugaboos! This area ROCKS, whether you're a climber or not! http://www.mountainscenes.com/index_bugaboo.htm

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Jul 01, 2002 7:30 pm 
dogs across the boarder
Looking to pot around SE BC and the adjacent boarder states next fall. Will probably plan to bump back and forth across the boarder several times, depending on how much trouble it is to be that casual about crossing with dog along. I know you have to have a current rabies certificate to take a dog across, at all, but does anyone know if there's a problem with the back and forth thing? confused.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
REJ

REJ
PostWed Jul 03, 2002 1:49 pm 
Thanks for the info. I will update my passport ASAP. My in-laws have crossed the border severals times with just a drivers license as ID since 9/11. Scooge: I never had a problem with crossing the border with my dog as long as you have a current rabies certificate.

Naffer
What's Up!

Naffer
What's Up!
PostSun Jul 07, 2002 6:43 pm 
I cross the boarder 4-5 times a week, A voter registration card will work also. wink.gif

"Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth." -Charles A. Dana (1819 - 1897)
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Jul 07, 2002 7:14 pm 
Crossed into BC @ Blaine truck crossing on evening of 7/3 with DL & BC for me and a passport for my friend. Where you from? Where you going? No problems. Crossed back into US yesterday at Osoyoos/Oroville SR97. DL, BC and a passport again. Piece of cake. How long have you been in Canada? Where did you go? Did you purchase anything that you are bringing back? Have a good day. This crossing is a 9-5. If you're sweatin' it and take a crossing like this then get there 10-15 min before closing time. They wanna go home and probably won't do anything further. We handed over the papers as soon as we stopped going both ways. I think they like it when you're ready. Happy crossing!! NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.