Forum Index > Gear Talk > Tent Footprints
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostSun May 08, 2011 8:38 pm 
So I got a new tent, the Copper Spur UL 1 and being that it's an expensive tent, I want to take care of it. Now I don't now how a piece of nylon can cost $50. It's a piece of nylon! But that is the price of the footprint. Then I came across gofastlite.com/ and they sell footprints made out of Tyvek. It cost $28.95 and that is a big piece of chunk cheaper. Have any of you heard of them? Any opinions on gofastlite.com?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun May 08, 2011 8:49 pm 
Google "kite Tyvek". Less than 28, and that's what you want. Run it through the washer to soften it. Good stuff, nice and light. I use it with my floorless tent, because I see no need for a footprint. On that note, I have, over the years, asked a few tent designers why they do footprints, and they all say they do them to satisfy the market. Not once have I heard a designer say it was to protect the bottom of the tent.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun May 08, 2011 9:05 pm 
If money's tight, just use a garbage bag or 2 under the tent. Fold in the edges of the garbage bags so they're well under the tent and you're good. I have never bought a factory footprint for a tent. And, I only use any sort of ground cloth if the ground is particularly wet or rocky.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic

Downhill
Newlander
Recon

Newlander
Recon
PostSun May 08, 2011 9:18 pm 
polycro grounds cloths are really good, light as well

InFlight
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostSun May 08, 2011 9:23 pm 
Tent footprints=rip off. I've never bought/used one. If the ground is rocky, I just slide my ridgerest under the tent in my sleeping spot.

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/

Downhill
iron

iron
PostSun May 08, 2011 9:39 pm 
dicey wrote:
Tent footprints=rip off. I've never bought/used one. If the ground is rocky, I just slide my ridgerest under the tent in my sleeping spot.
ditto.gif

Downhill
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun May 08, 2011 9:40 pm 
I use 2 mil plastic sold as painter's dropcloth at the hardware store. You get enough to make 4 of them for about 5 bucks.

Downhill
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSun May 08, 2011 9:54 pm 
I sometimes use one (Tyvek), but only out of my neurotic need to keep the bottom of the tent somewhat clean if I expect muddy conditions.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun May 08, 2011 10:00 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I use 2 mil plastic sold as painter's dropcloth at the hardware store.
ditto.gif

KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostSun May 08, 2011 10:48 pm 
I hate footprints. What's the point? Has anyone not used a footprint and got the bottom of their tent ripped? Or, has anyone gotten their footprint ripped and was happy it wasn't their tent? Why didn't they just make the tent stronger in the first place. It doesn't make sense. I got one for my Marmot Aura when I bought it a couple years ago. I've used it without the footprint for a while now. I just don't see why they exist. I guess I'm just bitter because I paid for one of those overpriced things rant.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun May 08, 2011 11:30 pm 
When I bought a tent last year from REI, the footprint was on sale for $10. It attaches to the tent poles with little buckles, and covers the area under the vestibule. So, if I was going on an early-season trip, and maybe the ground might be wet or covered in snow, I would bring it, otherwise it would stay home. Most of the time I use nothing. My other tent I don't have a footprint for, and my third tent doesn't even have a floor. The tent I used for five years before last year never had a footprint, and it was used when I got it. If you feel you need something, because the tent is new and expensive so I get that, then get a thin sheet of plastic at the hardware store, and change it out when it gets beat up.

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostSun May 08, 2011 11:37 pm 
I think you all have overwhelmingly convinced me that there is no need for a footprint. If it would have been from a bunch of folks I didn't know I would have been hesitant to listen to them, but knowing how experienced all of you are, I'll be saving my cash agree.gif

trestle

trestle
PostMon May 09, 2011 6:24 am 
About the one good thing about factory footprints is many new ones are designed to be used with just the tent fly and poles for a light-weight option. Leave the tent body at home and you have a structured tarp-tent, thus giving designers and marketers a multiple-use product with implied versatility. As Slugman mentioned, they include grommets and are sized so the tent poles drop right into them and the fly drapes over the poles. Many of the flies have little ties to attach them to the poles. Not a bad option to have if you can find them on sale. Packed weight of your Copper Spur UL1 is listed as 2 pounds, 15 ounces but by using the footprint, poles, and fly the weight is only 1 pound, 15 ounces. A one-pound loss might be okay for calm weather. Manufacturers are calling this feature fast-pack or something similarly catchy.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon May 09, 2011 8:38 am 
KillerCharlie wrote:
Has anyone not used a footprint and got the bottom of their tent ripped?
Yes My footprint is disposable. My tent is not.

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostMon May 09, 2011 8:46 am 
KillerCharlie wrote:
I hate footprints. What's the point? Has anyone not used a footprint and got the bottom of their tent ripped? Or, has anyone gotten their footprint ripped and was happy it wasn't their tent? Why didn't they just make the tent stronger in the first place. It doesn't make sense.
floors on newer tents are much thinner than they used to be. footprints wouldn't be needed if the manufacturers put a heavier floor in the tent like they used to do in the past....