Forum Index > Gear Talk > Grizzly Bear Proof Suit
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Jul 09, 2002 10:09 pm 
Here's one to chuckle (or not) about, a Grizzly Bear Proof Suit. A new addition to the hikers wardrobe? http://www.cosmiverse.com/science12110103.html

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostTue Jul 09, 2002 10:51 pm 
I'm sure BPJ already has one!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 09, 2002 11:19 pm 
Ok just call me the Rodney Dangerfield of the site! No I do NOT have a suit like that. I prefer a more hands on approach. Here is my Grizz spray!!! Wild West arms Alaskan Co-Pilot! .457 WW Magnum! More stopping power than a .458 Winchester Magnum! Tom B

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostWed Jul 10, 2002 7:30 am 
Hey BPJ. I'm impressed. One question.....Do you have to pack a fencepost with you to lean that cannon on? BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Ridiculous

Ridiculous
PostWed Jul 10, 2002 11:38 am 
I just carry an AR-15 equipped with one of these: http://www.teppojutsu.com/toppage1.htm and loaded with these: http://www.teppojutsu.com/prod01.htm it's all part of my ultralight philosopy clown.gif I'm just not willing to lug one of these: http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifles_82A1.html

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Jul 10, 2002 6:47 pm 
Yikes, whatever happened to plain 'ol these http://www.slingshots.net/ The lost art of bagging grizzlies waah.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 10, 2002 7:45 pm 
P-bear, those people DIED! I wish I knew who Mr. Ridiculous was, because I'd congradulate him on some great internet research! Those .458 conversions are really cool! Let's face it, as I have read BOTH books; Alaskan Bear Tales, and its brother, I am in the know.... However armed you are, the average Joe (that's me) barely gets off ONE (1) round before the the very LARGE bear attacks! These animals are just to damn FAST! I was in Army aviation in my youth. I was stationed on an Air Force base that happened to have a Pacific Coast (Coast gaurd) strike team stationed on it. A friend told me that as he was stationed on Kodiak Island for five years, and he knows something about BROWN (bears that eat coastal fish) bears. He told me that they would chase the bears in their Sikorski helicopters at ground level thru the fields, at 60 miles and hour!!!!!!! Nobody is OUT-running a large bear! Best thing is to just NOT be there! From a guy who has SEEN a grizzley in the Alpine lakes! Tom B

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 10, 2002 9:03 pm 
Ive read all that. Checkout "Alaskan Bear tales". Either a very large (.454 Cassull)(.475 Linebaugh) or a large rifle (.375 H&H or above) will do. I imagine that a good auto loading 12 gauge (I've got a Benneli super 90) also would do well. Although Garrett of Washington state makes great super hard cast .45-70 loads that better .458 winchester mag rounds! Tom B

polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Jul 10, 2002 9:37 pm 
If we're reading about grizzlies, let's not forget the classic Night of the Grizzlies by Jack Olsen. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0943972485/qid=1026362177/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-6869536-6380608

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 10, 2002 9:43 pm 
Hey, have you ever shot a .454 or .475 Linebaugh? Have you ever shot a .375 Holland and Holland magnum? They are NOT difficult to control. They hurt, but they are easitly controlable. One must PRACTICE! Tom B

Dante

Dante
PostThu Jul 11, 2002 10:14 am 
The M203 is no good for Grizzly defense . . .
The M203 is no good for Grizzly defense. Sure the M433 40mm High-explosive dual purpose (HEDP) round will penetrate 2 inches of steel armor and cause casualties within a 5-meter radius, but it arms between 14 and 27 meters--what if the bear is closer? Besides, the M203 is too heavy--take it from someone who carried one for three years. I've never hiked in Alaska, Northern BC or the Yukon Territory and probably never will. In the lower 48 I'll (a) make lots of noise and use a big kitchen-food storage-sleeping triangle in bear country or (b) hike with Backpacker Joe.