Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cardinal and Emerald Peaks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
smokeydon

smokeydon
PostSun Jul 14, 2002 8:40 pm 
The N Fork Entiat trail is melted out all the way to the meadows at 6,600 ft. From there some large patches of snow are encountered but it is still possible to make it all the way to Saska Pass, mostly snowfree. Athough Cardinal and Emerald are Basically walk-ups, more technical routes can be had. I took the west rib/ south chute route up Cardinal which was mostly class2 and some 3 (moderate exposure) From there I traversed the N W ridge towards Emerald where I decided on a eastern route up the summit. I traversed the snowfield north under the summit crags and then headed up a snow finger to the base of the summit rocks. What started out class 2 and 3 quickly turned into 4 and 5. After searching around a while for an easier route I should have turned back but instead went for the summit. I new there was an easier route down on the N W side and the exposure wasn`t that great, so I pushed it. Great views, fun climbs, almost no bugs and a few early afternoon thundershowers made this a memorable trip. cool.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message