Forum Index > Trail Talk > Steelhead
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Damian

Damian
PostSat Jan 05, 2002 8:55 pm 
Never seen this topic discussed but this is turning out to be a great season. I'm hearing lots of success stories for a change after many years of tough luck. In the past week I've caught 2 seven pounders (hens) at my secret hole on the upper Skykomish. Anyone else share this passion?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostSat Jan 05, 2002 9:00 pm 
Damian, I've been a steelheader for about 13 years now. I used to fish the Sky quite a bit, but these past few years I find myself up on the NF Stilly more than anywhere else. I really prefer fly fishing to steelhead, although I'm no snob and enjoy gear fishing, too. I am the worlds worst steelheader and have caught very few fish the past several years. I guess I'm probably more of a trout fisherman than a steelheader. But I've paid my dues by wading icy streams in the winter! Salish

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Damian

Damian
PostSat Jan 05, 2002 9:09 pm 
Actually Salish, fly fisherman outfish bait-slingers on a normal day of steelheading. I think the natural presentation is a winner as steelhead are mighty easily spooked by hardware and jerky motion. Having said that, I have yet to try fly fishing for them. My dad would frequently haul my butt out to the icy rivers of the NW each winter and the memory of him standing out in the river and routinely bringing home two is firmly engrained. I usually just got cold. I still do!

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostSat Jan 05, 2002 9:34 pm 
I used to love to steelhead-but I've gotten out of the 'habit' now for a long time. Back when I was in HS, my brother and I spent days down on the Klickitat at a time--an old timer named Harold shared with us his secret fly/grasshopper set up called 'lunch.' Harold also had the best hole on the river behind his house which he graciously allowed us to use. My brother lives in Hermiston and he says this is the best year ever for steelhead on the Columbia. He's got some set up where he's using planers trolling some kind of wiggle wart thing just under the surface-going real slow to avoid spooking the fish-some nights out he's hooking between 15 and 20 fish. He's not landing all of them, and even fewer are hatchery fish that he can keep-but he's having a blast.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Jan 05, 2002 9:52 pm 
I have shared this passion for about 45 years, I landed my first at about 6 yrs. old in front of our cabin below Deer Creek on the Nfk Stilly, and have been fishing them ever since catching them on bait, wet fly and dry fly. Also, I was president of the Steelhead Trout Club of Washington 5 times, 4 consecutive, and I have been the Steelhead Trout Smolt Pond chairman since 1990 on the Nfk Sky. The passion and my roots run deep, dad held the world record on a fly from 1955 to 1962...29 lbs. 2. oz. And he and my grandfather both developed the Scientific Anglers "Wet Cell" fly line as well as many St Croix fishing rods. Both, created the Skykomish Sunrise, Purple Peril, and Ugly series fly patterns. I also wrote a column for The Reel News for 6 years, primarily about steelhead and issues, as well as having several published articles in Salmon Trout Steelheader magazine. Lastly, "steelheading is one of the Northwests great outdoor sports."

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
salish

salish
PostSat Jan 05, 2002 10:38 pm 
Damian - I've caught more summer run on spinners and spoons, but I prefer fly fishing. I think you're right about the natural presentation, though. I've got a brother in law who's been fishing the Hoh for over 40 years now, and he'd give you a big argument about bait chucking. Whatever works best. As for me, since I never catch steelhead, I might as well have as much fun as I can while I'm not catching them, and that means fly casting. Thanks. Dslayer - one of these days we'll have to meet. We share a lot of stuff in common. I plan to fish the Klickitat this year with a buddy I work with. He floats it in his raft and comes back with pictures of huge, dripping steelhead. I understand there are a lot of wild turkey down the Klickitat, too. I've fished the upper Klickitat on Yakama Tribal land on the slopes on Mt. Adams, but that was 29 years ago. By the way, I drove over to the Yak this morning and hunted chukar up in that canyon I was telling you about, up in the mountains east of milepost 13. We moved a covey of about 25 birds. They flushed way out. We didn't see any goats but a couple of hikers say they spotted 4 mountain goats up there just before we hiked up. McPilchuck: I'll be darned. I know who you are, and who your dad was. Not in person, but by reputation. Absolutely legendary in northwest fishing circles, but I suppose you've heard that before. I first fished the North Fork back in 1969 or so, with my dad's old Heddon bamboo fly rod, then I fell away from fly fishing for many years. In 1986 I had an apartment in Eastlake and Jimmy LeMert set me up with a rod & reel and I've been fly fishing ever since. Tom Darling helped me out quite a bit at his shop, too. Were you, by any chance, at the Trailblazers meeting the other night? I thought I heard the name "McPilchuck" mentioned. If so, I was the "visitor" for the evening (the only one). Regards, Salish

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Benjamin

Benjamin
PostSat Jan 05, 2002 11:22 pm 
I did not realize that "Salish" was the visitor at the Trailblazers meeting. As for McPilchuck, I do beleive he was present. He was the excessively loud and obnoxious, inordinate, goofey looking one sitting near the back!!!

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Jan 06, 2002 12:10 am 
"Excessively loud and obnoxious, inordinate and goofy" would pretty well describe most of the folks at a typical Trail Blazer meeting. smile.gif

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostSun Jan 06, 2002 9:35 pm 
If excessively loud, obnoxius and goofy are the criterion for joining this organization I have all those qualities in abundance. Brian-my fishing reports will be in the mail tomorrow-I just remembered them today, I start out with the best of intentions but I got into hunting season then my wife cleaned up and hid them-I think I have your home address here somewhere and if I don't I'll let you know. Salish-I'd love to head down the Klickitat again-I've been told the river changed dramatically since the '96 flood and many of the old holes are gone plus my man Harold had to sell his house so I can't fish there anymore. I haven't fished it since '94....back in 90 I think, we had a long strike in Mukilteo and I fished about everyday in September. The river was perfect-it was just cool enough to keep the river clear. On some days I hooked 7-8 fish. I was rather chagrined to see the strike end.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 12:39 am 
Yes Salish, I was there at the Trail Blazers meeting, have been for 23 years, and the mold is starting to grow on my back. You should have told us your handle or should I say code name? Ben Quote: I did not realize that "Salish" was the visitor at the Trailblazers meeting. As for McPilchuck, I do beleive he was present. He was the excessively loud and obnoxious, inordinate, goofey looking one sitting near the back!!! Careful Ben, I'll tell Henry and Mike to gang up on you the next time you go up into Iceberg for such slander! I have some pull ya know with those two being one the North Cascdes BEAT Revivalists. Besides, if you want to ever know where the Really Big Fish are, you will have to enter my zone, or at least see McPils slide show <g>. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
salish

salish
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 6:57 am 
Sorry guys, I probably should have introduced myself with my handle, as well as my name. This is the "wired" generation, after all. I was wondering what they were talking about with all the old "mossbacks". Dslayer - I have similar stories about those umpromtu "vacations" (mine was a layoff from Boeing in 95') when I fished 57 days out of 4 months. It was heaven. We'll have to chat about the Klicitat. I love it over there. I'd trade 10 Seattles for one Goldendale. Salish