Forum Index > Trip Reports > Anderson Lake (7/15/02)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 1:56 am 
I had far more ambitious plans for my first day of vacation but the night owl inside got the better of me on Sunday night and Monday became a morning to sleep in. Thumbing through my tattered old 100 hikes book I decided Anderson Lake would foot the bill for a quick day hike. Having hiked Bare Mtn a few years earlier I wasn't looking forward to the 20+ mile drive on dirt road but was pleasantly surprised to find the road in good condition all the way to the Bare Mtn trailhead. Not far from the Bare Mtn trailhead, however, a washout has added 1.5 miles each way to the Anderson Lake trail - no biggie as I was hoping for a little more exercise. The first part of the trail was a bit muddy, though not bad for this time of the year. As you climb up the side of Dog Mtn there are some nice views of Goat Mtn. At around 4100' snow covers the trail, but at this point the route is pretty straight forward - just follow the contour of Dog Mtn all the way to the snowfield and Anderson Pass - if in doubt, stay low. The snowfield traverse was quite pleasant and gentle enough that an ice axe was not needed. Continue on the snowfield just beyond the first sign of vegetation for an easy ascent to Anderson Pass. From Anderson Pass a boot beaten path leads right to navigate around a cliff and then descends sharply down a gully to the lake. An alternate and much easier route (IMHO) is to head straight down from the pass (bearing slightly left) and then scramble the boulderfield down to the lake (though you do miss a few views). The lake was 95% snow free and very picturesque, with nary a mosquito. Ahh the good life - I spent a good 2 hours soaking it all in. Hope you enjoy the pictures. 12+ miles - 4 hours in / 3 hours out

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
-lol-

-lol-
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 6:48 am 

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 9:51 am 
I've always been curious about the route to Anderson/Dog via the Taylor River. Head past Marten Creek a couple hundred feet and then shoot straight up the hill. There used to be an old trail (miners?), but I believe it's all but gone except for a stretch up higher near Anderson Lake. Someday, this will be the route I use to climb Dog Mountain.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 11:15 am 
2drx wrote:
I too saw that large area of 'destruction' when I was there and wondered about it. It looked like there is still a good amount of dead trees standing, maybe the result of disease or fire like you mention.
Yes, very strange. I can't imagine loggers would have left that much timber up there but can't think of another way all those trees could have been felled. Perhaps the slope was too steep to get the logs off. Attached is a digitally zoomed shot. Note the size of the logs - definitely not your typical clearcut.
2drx wrote:
This is a great 'secret' hike.
Shh, don't tell the mosquitos wink.gif. BTW, did you happen to see the miners cabin near the start of the hike? The 100 hikes book mentions it but I didn't see anything.

-lol-

-lol-
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 11:40 am 

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 12:25 pm 
Oops, now I feel a kinda silly. I totally missed your trip report from a few weeks earlier.