Forum Index > Support & Feedback > We've made some changes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 10:10 pm 
OK, we've made a couple of improvements biggrin.gif 1) The "today" link has been replaced by a drop down box to the top right. Check it out... you'll be glad you did. Once you get used to using that box ask yourself why you ever wasted your time going back to the forum index page wink.gif. 2) For those with too much time on their hands suuure.gif, the forum index page now shows the topic title of the last post in each forum, back by popular demand. 3) We've replaced the orange titles with a presidential blue scheme. You might need to hit your refresh button to see the subtle color change.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jun 14, 2002 10:59 am 
looks great! thanks for putting the thread titles in!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jun 14, 2002 2:14 pm 
No problem, it was an easier modification than I thought. Also, we seem to have resolved the login issues that some people were having so I've removed that topic to minimize confusion going forward. Please let us know if you're still having login problems!

C Dog

C Dog
PostMon Jun 17, 2002 11:36 am 
Tom wrote:
1) The "today" link has been replaced by a drop down box to the top right. Check it out... you'll be glad you did. Once you get used to using that box ask yourself why you ever wasted your time going back to the forum index page wink.gif.
Don't mean to nitpick here, but in that drop down box there shouldn't be an apostrophe in "Yours". The dreaded faulty apostrophe is just a pet peeve of mine. tongue.gif Some of the examples I've seen around Seattle: "2 HAMBURGER AND FRY'S $2.00" "Voted Seattles Best Hot Dog's" (at least they knew an apostrophe was needed SOMEWHERE, they just stuck it in the wrong place!) "Thank's for your business!" There's even a name for that apostrophe! http://www.logophilia.com/WordSpy/greengrocersapostrophe.asp I really like the drop down box, though! smile.gif

// Chris Duval // WashingtonHikes.com //
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostMon Jun 17, 2002 3:18 pm 
Good point, C dog. That bugs me too.

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jun 18, 2002 12:16 pm 
He he, sorry about that. I thought I had the apostrophe thing down. Speaking of nits, nothing bugs me more than people who definatley don't know how to spell, or create links like thiswithout putting a space after them, or create links like this_ with an extra space at the end, or insert long links like this [note: long link removed as it was creating problems ] instead of using the "url" bbcode tag, or don't bother to preview their post to see if it looks presentable, or don't insert punctuation like a trailing period, or break their lines like this in the middle of a sentence or start a new paragraph like this without inserting a blank line or put lots of unnecessary spaces between paragraphs or repeat the same smile like this lol.gif lol.gif moon.gif, or don't vary the color of the smiles in their posts to make them look presentable, or use too many smiles paranoid.gif (guilty as charged), or attach a file to their post (unnecessarily wasting our server space) when the file already exists on the net instead of linking to it, or... Phew, I needed that! biggrin.gif

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 8:24 am 
Quote:
or attach a file to their post (unnecessarily wasting our server space) when the file already exists on the net instead of linking to it, or...
Tom, Is that addressed in the FAQs? I'm guilty of that I'm sure, but didn't realize your server space was so limited. I just followed the crowd... waah.gif apparently they didn't read the FAQs either!

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 1:09 pm 
Nope, I haven't had time to update the FAQ. Just to clarify, we have plenty of server space. The problem on the storage end, however, is that attachments hang around forever long after the topic has died (unless we "prune" which we'd rather not do). Sooner or later all these attachements add up. That's why I'm requesting that folks use discretion before attaching files, and to link to them if they're already on the net. Here's something to think about: In our short 6 months of existence, we've already accumulated 16MB of attachments, while the posts themselves only use up 4MB. Extrapolate into the future (including member growth) and you'll see why I'm starting to get nitpicky about attachments, particularly if they're already on the net. P.S. Feel free to upload avatars without guilt. It's the stuff that accumulates in the closet that I'm worried about.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 2:21 pm 
Don't worry, if we start getting close to my server space limit (which costs me $$ if we go over) I can fix it with one quick "rm -rf" command. wink.gif I've used 71% of my 400Mb allotment, but includes all my websites, including my photos. When I finally get around to updating my photos rolleyes.gif I may need some of that space back, but we're good until then. NWHikers currently uses 84Mb total, but that includes the old forum as well. I'll probably archive it off soon with Tom's approval.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 5:44 pm 
Seems like the last few days this thread, only, will not word wrap. Actually after Tom's Jun 18 12:16 pm post. No biggie tho. Sumptin change? Using NS 6.2 NN confused.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 5:57 pm 
NN, it probably had something to do with the long link I put in. I took it out. See if that fixes things. Then, go get a real browser!!! Netscape SUCKS!!! down.gif It's slow, buggy, and does nothing but frustrate web designers. Use Mozilla if you've got something against Microsoft (though quite frankly Internet Explorer is the way to go).

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 6:17 pm 
But that did the trick Sorry on the NS. I also use Opera and IE. Sometimes all 3 at the same time. Thanks, NN up.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jun 26, 2002 6:42 pm 
We made a few subtle changes today... 1) Got the apostrophe thing taken care of in the drop down 2) Posts with embedded pictures are now wrapping properly 3) Some minor skin changes to various screens 4) If you are logged out you will see a insead of the usual read/unread post indicators (this should make it clearer that post tracking is not functional if you're logged out)

C Dog

C Dog
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 3:10 pm 
Tom wrote:
Use Mozilla if you've got something against Microsoft (though quite frankly Internet Explorer is the way to go).
Why Mozilla has become my default browser: * Tabbed browsing -- you can open links in a new "tab" instead of a new window. You can also assign your mouse wheel button to open links in a new tab -- makes things like reading stories off a news site (or articles in these forums) really easy. I just click the mousewheel on the topics I want to see and each thread appears in its own tab. * Bookmark tabs as one site! When I get into work in the morning there are three or four websites I always check out. Bookmark the group and I have my four sites (one in each tab) with one click. * Includes an option where you can limit websites' ability to open "unrequested" windows -- in other words, I haven't seen an x10 or any other popup/popunder ad in months. up.gif * Miscellaneous other features/time-savers like being able to highlight text, right click and search for that text in Google (or wherever); built-in forms-manager, because I can never remember my password here. biggrin.gif Drawbacks (though, ones that I can deal with): - mozilla runs as a single process -- if one site crashes your browser, all your windows go bye-bye waah.gif - has problems with some fancy javascript animations, etc. (i.e., eyecandy that doesn't contribute to a site anyway) tongue.gif ...and I've had no problems with this site and Mozilla! wink.gif

// Chris Duval // WashingtonHikes.com //