Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Seattle Backpackers Meetup Group (meetup.com)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun May 01, 2011 12:08 am 
How funny...I just met someone who I believe I'm going to be hiking with for a long time now who just told me about this site. Of course she referred me to the Denver meetup group but I'll have to look at the Seattle one when I'm back there for the summer.

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun May 01, 2011 12:10 am 
You did read the entire thread, right? Meetup is very much a mixed bag. Never know what you'll get.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun May 01, 2011 12:17 am 
yes...I read most of it and from what I can see at least down here in Denver there are two "groups" of people using Meetup One group of people I've recently met will go climb up anything and have all the gear and experience to do it...winter or summer. Everyone I've talked to knows what they are talking about. The other group really only meets up in summer and fall and does simpler and easier trailed hikes and has your traditional outdoors noobs in it.

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
shadetree

shadetree
PostSun May 01, 2011 1:19 am 
I know someone who teaches 1rst aid cpr. I'll find out what the going rate is and let you know. But 65 does nt sound out of line to me.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun May 01, 2011 11:08 am 
Guess this means I'll get another call from Cameron complaining about public slander. I think he thinks I'm some kind of customer support line.

Lono

Lono
PostSun May 01, 2011 5:25 pm 
FWIW the American Red Cross teaches an ~8 hour Adult and Child CPR + First Aid for ~$92, Cameron's looks like an abbreviated (begins at 4pm, so 4 hours?) CPR + First Aid from the American Heart Association curriculum. The price from a certified AHA instructor sounds about right to me; I would quibble over teaching CPR + any meaningful FA in only 4 hours, I've had that from a couple refesher courses and they do not address any meaningful first aid principles except "apply pressure" and "keep it clean": if you were to take your first aid training from this kind of instruction you would be woefully lacking. I wouldn't blame Cameron for mixing FA with CPR in only 4 hours, that seems to be endemic to the FA/CPR industry. Also Infant CPR requires some separate instruction and practice, but both adult and Child can be done in 4 hours, especially the newer compression only CPR.

Carie Yawn
Not dead yet

Carie Yawn
Not dead yet
PostSun May 01, 2011 5:56 pm 
Well I guess it's good that he's trying to get more people in his meetup trained in CPR and First Aid. Interesting that he's not trying to make a buck here. I remember a few of the earlier stunts when it seemed like he was trying to monetize his little army of followers. He still does to some extent, charging a dollar for attendance to socials, but nothing as obvious as creating fake personas to promote and give glowing testimonials of his own hiking seminars.

Lono

Lono
PostSun May 01, 2011 6:23 pm 
I don't know if Cameron is making money on this, I'm just saying that the price of the curriculum is about right. You can contact the AHA and ask them their rates for an evening class, or compare to other AHA evening classes held at REI. I don't know if REI lets them use their space for free, or charges for it; or if Cameron might get comped for his own attendance fee by bringing in x number of CPR students. Really, I don't think anyone gets rich off of CPR classes, least of all the instructors.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun May 01, 2011 10:16 pm 
charging a token fee for attendance at socials and other events is a tool to ensure the people who RSVP actually show up.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun May 01, 2011 10:22 pm 
How does that actually change anything? Unless I get my money back when and if I attend, charging a fee is simply that. Besides, what kind of bullsh## is requiring someone to sign up and register to attend a free-form social event? Sounds like the best way to avoid the fee is to just show up and refuse to pay a buck to walk into the restaurant. Since I'm already there, there's no need to charge me the extortion fee to get me to arrive.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun May 01, 2011 10:28 pm 
The logic is that people aren't going to pay a buck or five bucks or whatever it is unless they're serious about showing up. I have seen that fee be refunded, or used to pay for food/drinks for the attendees in some groups. And, as you know, restaurants have limited capacities. Your idea about just showing up might work but it would be awful hard to plan a large event if everyone just did that. If you have to limit the size of the group due to the capacity of the venue then it sucks to have to tell people they can't come because the event is full then have people who don't show up.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Sep 22, 2011 10:08 pm 
Looks like it's time to bump this thread again. Cameron, Cameron, Cameron... shakehead.gif

like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostFri Jan 13, 2012 12:52 am 
Wow....

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostFri Jan 13, 2012 9:58 am 

Back to top Reply to topic
JimK

JimK
PostFri Jan 13, 2012 10:30 am 
You folks might want to steer clear of Rattlesnake Ledge and Cedar Butte on 1/29/12. So far Meet Up has 41 signed up with 4 spaces still available. I'd like to see all 45 on the summit of Cedar Butte. Imaging being on the lower ledge when 45 folks join you. Try passing that group on the trail. Still time to sign up!!