Forum Index > Links > Went Hiking — a hiking trip statistics logging tool
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kylemeyer

kylemeyer
PostWed Apr 27, 2011 12:12 pm 
Hi folks, I made a free web app, Went Hiking, to keep track of hiking stats, reports, and photos for people that tend to do frequent short trips. I'm really interested in your feedback and feature requests that would make you want to use it. The website was initially created for my own personal use. I have a full-time job as a web designer & developer, but take every opportunity to get outside and backpack. Last year, I started keeping track of my trips in a spreadsheet to see what my cumulative statistics were, mostly for fun, and partly to satisfy my obsessive compulsiveness. Two months ago, I decided I could do better than a spreadsheet. I whipped up a really rough version of the site, and posted it to Portland Hikers to see if anyone else had interest in the tool. I've since made revisions based on their feedback, and while it's still not nearly complete, it is now a reliable tool for logging of trips and sharing them with others. I'd really welcome any feedback you have. Please sign up and feel free to use the site—there's a lot more to be done with the data being collected geospatially, and GPS integration is coming soon. Thanks! Kyle

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kylemeyer

kylemeyer
PostWed Apr 27, 2011 12:31 pm 
I should mention it's also useful for posting trip reports elsewhere like here, BackpackingLight, or PortlandHikers. Basically, any forum that takes either BBCode or HTML. After creating the hike on Went Hiking, uploading photos, and writing your trip report, there's a "Share on forum" link on your posts that sets up the trip report, complete with images and captions. Here's an example of a recent small trip I took as an example: ------------------------ 6.0 miles, 500' gained, 1 night(s) Went out to Gillette Lake Saturday night with my wife and four others. Caught two trout—a medium-sized brook and a tiny cutthroat(?)—and cooked them over the fire with asparagus and lemon. Great camp out and very different than all my previous snow-bound adventures. Looking for a lake available for backpacking before May? This is the one. Trail was muddy but there were lots of trail maintenance folks out Sunday and the clearcut across the PCT has been cleaned up and the trail made accessible.

ChrisM

ChrisM
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 9:48 pm 
I'm gonna give this a quick bump - more features since the last post, and now that all you Washington types have places to hike now lol.gif , maybe you can use it.

outdoorgrrl

outdoorgrrl
PostWed Oct 26, 2011 8:07 am 
Looks like an awesome site! Here's another one, I've been using and quite like: MovesCount.com. I like it because I can track my road biking, skiing, yoga, hiking, spin classes, weight lifting, climbing ... basically everything you do that is fitness related! It automatically summarizes your activities for the month or the year and you can sort by activity. Here, for example, is what my October hiking/scrambling totals look like:

Are you tired of eating mediocre, freeze-dried backpacking meals? Learn to create inexpensive, tasty meals for backpacking and climbing with the DIY Guide to Instant Backpacking Meals.
Julia

Julia
PostWed Nov 02, 2011 5:31 pm 
Cool site--thanks! smile.gif

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx