Forum Index > Photography Talk > Calendar 2012 (the individual version)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Nov 06, 2011 9:10 pm 
Looks like the NWHikers' 2012 calendar is starting to take shape. up.gif I've managed to get mine just about sorted out:
January
January
February
February
March
March
April
April
May
May
June
June
July
July
August
August
September
September
October
October
November
November
December
December
I know others also prepare their own versions, so here's your chance to share...

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Nov 06, 2011 9:26 pm 
Nice work to be sure Gali. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Nov 07, 2011 9:19 pm 
An excellent photo year for you GW! up.gif But geez, I don't even start on my calendar til after Thanksgiving. Thanks for the incentive to get going on it! winksmile.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Nov 07, 2011 9:42 pm 
Thanks guys. smile.gif Zachster, I usually set the thing up once October (and fall hiking) is over, so that I can have my initial draft done by mid-November. Usually, quite a few friends order copies, sometimes as gifts for their friends/relatives; I'd rather they get these by early December, so that they have enough time to have them shipped.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Gil

Gil
PostMon Nov 07, 2011 10:13 pm 
Can I buy one?

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 12:04 am 
March makes me want to drink some chocolate milk.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 12:12 am 
I just love July. I could stare at that lake, and the little clouds, for hours. What are the locations (general, nothing sekrit please) for each month of your calendar? Glorious work GaliWalker !!

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 7:52 am 
Thanks guys, I think this one's a little better than the two I did last year. smile.gif
Gil wrote:
Can I buy one?
Of course. I usually add $5 to the cost of printing/shipping; PM me if you're interested. aywolfpac, for a while that's the name I'd given the March photo.
seawallrunner wrote:
What are the locations (general, nothing sekrit please) for each month of your calendar??
seawallrunner, I've added captions to each of the photos now. Here are some more details: January: A cold morning (10F), spent atop the Mt Washington overlook, which sports the iconic view of downtown Pittsburgh. In the shot are the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers, flowing together to form the Ohio. February: Driving back from a hike in Hells Hollow, Western Pennsylvania. March: Just downstream from the Great Falls of Tinkers Creek, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Ohio. I chose this photo to depict the spring snow-melt and showers that we have here, which result in swollen rivers and streams. April: Trillium Trails, Pittsburgh. This is a gem of a spot, very close to the middle of the city! It's a woodsy area, which sports the best trillium show I've ever seen - the entire hillsides are covered with them. May: Red Creek, Dolly Sods, West Virginia. June: Nanga Parbat basecamp, Pakistan. Trip Report link. July: Lake Saif-ul-Maluk, Kaghan Valley, Pakistan. Trip report link. August: Heading back down Miranjani's summit ridge, Pakistan. Trip report link. September: Nanga Parbat, from Fairy Meadows, Pakistan. (Same trip report as for June.) October: North Fork Mountain, as viewed from Chimney Top, West Virginia. My favorite autumn viewpoint in the mid-Atlantic. November: "The Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania", central PA. December: Niagara Falls.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 1:03 pm 
Great shots, I love the swirls in March, but Sept. is my fav. up.gif

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Nov 14, 2011 6:24 pm 
I'm feeling lazy at the moment - would someone indulge me and let me in on where the best place to get calendars printed is? I think I'd like to do one of my own this year for family & friends if it's not too expensive.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Nov 15, 2011 10:14 am 
Chainsaw, I just use Costco. I know there are better outlets out there, but the one time I tried, there wasn't a difference in printing quality, unless you pay quite a bit more, which I'm not ready to do. One of the problems with Costco are the few customization options available. e.g. You can't add captions below the photos, which is why I've stamped the photos above with the location. However, the price can't be beat: - 11x17in "premium" calendar, printed on laminated premium cardstock paper, which costs $17.99 - 8.5x11in "classic" calendar, printed on non-laminated cardstock paper, which costs $9.99 I usually get a few of the premium and a few of the classic.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Nov 15, 2011 11:46 am 
Thanks Gali. I searched on this site for mention of calendar printing - I thought Tom had mentioned who printed the NWHikers calendar somewhere but couldn't find it. One thing I'm concerned about with the Costco calendars is it looks like the picture ends up being significantly smaller than the top half of the page. I'd like to find someone who will print them with the pics full bleed (no border), or at least with a very small border.

Gil

Gil
PostWed Nov 16, 2011 6:18 pm 
OK, here's my personal calendar:
January
January
February
February
March
March
April
April
May
May
June
June
July
July
August
August
September
September
October
October
November
November
December
December

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Nov 16, 2011 6:19 pm 
Umm, why didn't you enter yawning marmot in the NWH calendar? Love it!

Gil

Gil
PostWed Nov 16, 2011 6:26 pm 
I didn't think it was really a hiking photo. Plus we used it in Animal Tracks.