Forum Index > Food & Grub > Coffee on the trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 4:59 pm 
Ooh, I must try those. I buy the Asian ones from packitgormet, but they are 50 cents or 60 cents each, depending on the type. But it's the shipping costs, and the waiting, that are the issues, as much as price. Right now I am out, and I don't need any other backpacking food, so ordering more from packit just doesn't make sense.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Luc

Luc
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 7:38 pm 
if the TJ's stuff end up being funky, then remember that you can pickup the asian stuff at asian markets.

GNGSTR
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 9:17 pm 
I like their Cafe Pajaro beans. I need to hit the store before the weekend, will check out their instant.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 10:13 pm 
I have to say, if TJ's sells it, I pretty much like it. Not 100%, but close. Asian markets, sheesh, why didn't I think of that. doh.gif We have a few of those here in Lynnwood. hmmm.gif

ericande

ericande
PostThu Dec 22, 2011 3:05 pm 
Another vote for Sbux Vias. I've found Italian roast to be best and all the flavored ones are pretty gross. They have a few new flavors that should be in stores in the next few months that I've heard good things about.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostThu Dec 22, 2011 3:14 pm 
and what is "the asian stuff"? I am hitting Ranch99 for crabs this saturday

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Dec 22, 2011 3:46 pm 
I get little packets of pre-mixed instant coffee, one is mocha, another is "white coffee cappuccino", that have the sugar and creamer already in them, and they have some Asian markings on the packaging. I'm not able to say what Asian country the markings are from. OK, a little internet searching, and we have an answer. packitgourmet's breakfast drink page The company is called Gold Choice. I'm sure there are others, these are the two that I have tried. They are both quite tasty, and it is convenient to not have to bring separate creamer and sugar on a BP trip. Read the description of the Malaysian cappuccino. I find that blurb to be "pretty darn" accurate. "If you're looking for a delicious foamy and rich tasting cappuccino in the wilderness, this Malaysian blend is probably about as close as you're going to get. Surprisingly good - - this instant pack produces a nice cappuccino-like "foam," atop a good medium-dark roast flavor. Pretty darn good!"

renegadepilgrim

renegadepilgrim
PostFri Dec 23, 2011 1:12 am 
I just posted on PortlandHikers about the TJ's coffee packs. Bought some today and I think they taste better than the asian ones I got at Fubonn in Portland. They are also considerably cheaper. I am planning to buy more for backpacking this coming year.

_____________________________ Travel Blog: http://renegadepilgrim.com Trail Reports: http://wenthiking.com/renegadepilgrim Instagram: renegadepilgrim
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostSat Dec 24, 2011 5:07 pm 
I picked up some TJs while over getting beans. I am not a great fan of white coffee powder, but when you are packing things like this, it will do nicely. I got two packages of Via as gifts as well so I am set for my road trips/vacation this year.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Dec 24, 2011 5:53 pm 
I may have posted this upthread, but I like 1 via plus half a pack of any of the 3 in 1 Asian coffees. Will have to try the Trader Joe.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
renegadepilgrim

renegadepilgrim
PostSun Dec 25, 2011 12:40 am 
My current assessment is the TJs are a little weak. I might try adding a Via to the pack and see how that goes...I feel like 8oz of water is the max, where with the asian coffees, I find them too sweet and have to water them down a bit. I've been drinking them at work on the night shift at the hospital I work at since our drip coffee sucks.

_____________________________ Travel Blog: http://renegadepilgrim.com Trail Reports: http://wenthiking.com/renegadepilgrim Instagram: renegadepilgrim
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostSun Dec 25, 2011 8:35 am 
ried a TJ last night the coffee flavor is to the weak side and the packet only makes 4 - 6 oz. the mouth feel ( cream) is fine and for my taste a bit too sweet. There is a slight hint of "cocoa" taste which is fine It will make a good mixer for a Via, and be a good source of the cream and sugar. I like the Via just fine, but again, for me a cup of coffee is 12oz, no less.

realityguy

Location: 95% Lynnwood,5% Joyce..wish it was the other way around!
realityguy
PostSun Jan 15, 2012 9:21 am 
I've made some water boilers out of the "press" style coffee cups for the trail.They use a standard plastic lid that has a press and drink hole in them,no meltdown problems at all while heating/ cooking.By cutting off all the exterior second layer of stainless steel (at the groove under the lip and hack 95% of the handle off leaving a nub to grab and not melt) except for the top 3/4" lip,the weight drop is to about 5 ounces(for a 12oz cup pot) and 7ounces(for a 16oz) for use as a cooking pot and coffee press using the original lid that can be disassembled and stored inside along with the alcohol stove,windscreen, and small bottle of heat fuel(small bottle for dayhikes otherwise out of the pack in a larger bottle. I grind fresh beans the night before and vacuum pack them in a smaller bag and also make another small bag of flavored coffee syrup and nonfat dry milk that I can knead to mix before opening. For a "cozy" for the hot cup,I slip a sock( I carry extras in case they get wet,chaffing,or for "instant gloves"..second pair for over the first )on it and have toasty hands and hot coffee for quite a while on the trail or on those cold mornings.The mug does fit inside my insulated ziploc container "kitchen kit" if I need to make a meal before coffee. The cups normally run about $28..but I've found my three at thrift stores for $2 or so( with a lot of searching!)..A plastic "coffee" container is stored in the original mug's bottom end if you need something that will hold creamer or coffee,pour out and share a 3oz cup,or ?.

ScoutmasterJ

ScoutmasterJ
PostSun Jan 15, 2012 11:04 pm 
I like to use my small GSI french press when car camping.... the other adults like it to. wink.gif However, I have been using Via the last couple of years for backpacking. One less thing to pack. Occasionally I will make a "poor man's mocha" (Via & Swiss Miss). It took a few tries to get the ratio just right for my taste, but it's not bad.

Luc

Luc
PostTue Feb 07, 2012 10:10 pm 
ditto on the TJ's reviews. flavor is good. a little weak. and a bit sweet. add some via or other coffee crystals and should be a lot better. much cheaper no doubt.

GNGSTR