Forum Index > Gear Talk > Have We Talked Rain Pants Lately?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cc11

cc11
PostWed Sep 28, 2011 3:31 pm 
Check out these guys. Local Seattle Company http://www.exofficio.com/...they have some really cool outdoor clothes...they arent cheap but you get what you pay for. The convertible cargo pants are sweet and dry really quick

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Sep 28, 2011 4:49 pm 
tcvd112 wrote:
is it just venting??
Yes

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Sep 30, 2011 7:25 pm 
iron wrote:
RAB. love 'em.
ditto up.gif up.gif Might be the best piece of gear I have. Side zips long enough to get over my size 12 boots and good zippers for venting. Even eVent needs SOME venting IMHO. Legs are roomy, HIPS are snug. I only wish they had a fly for comfort stops....

friluftsliv
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostSat Oct 01, 2011 9:20 am 
Precip and Montbell rain gear were saunas for me, though others had no problems with those brands. Same with REI Elements rain gear. I've had much better luck with event fabric, but there seems to be no inexpensive event garment. I have the REI Shuksan event parka and have no complaints. REI also has Shuksan event pants with full side-zips, but they're not cheap at $239 and they are not ultralight at 26.8 ounces. Part of the weight comes from beefy fabric on the inside of the lower legs to protect against crampon-punctures or rips, a problem I've had with other rain pants. REI Shuksan event pants

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSun Oct 02, 2011 10:53 am 
Chainsaw, you do some wild and crazy stuff so sometimes the pocket book has to go with the adventures, having said that there is often room for compromise, perhaps this offering from Outdoor Research. Foray Paclite Pants

kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostThu Dec 01, 2011 4:01 pm 
I have had a pair of black, Red Ridge,I got some time back,94'-95' somthing like that.$35.00 from Campmoor catalog.I am still using them and will be using them this January in the Smokies on a 3 day trip,but I ned to re-apply DWR coating they have been my go to rain/wind pant for all my outdoor activities,by the way,they are EXCELENT wind pants.and for $35 beans,cant beat them.Oh,they ar full side zipp. krait.

currently looking for backpacking partners for next may for a week in the trinity alps,asnd some other trips and help on a book that will involve tons of camping
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostFri Dec 02, 2011 1:30 pm 
I can't believe that so far no one has mentioned the too high waist issue, as in, way too long between waist & crotch so they wind up doing double duty as pants & a bra. shakehead.gif That's what I noticed w/the Marmot pre-cip as well as every other brand I found--waist to crotch ratio was WAY too long & thus really uncomfortable. down.gif I never did find ones that really worked, so good luck!! Thankfully these days I no longer have to worry about rain pants. If it happens to be raining on Saturday & I want to hike, I'll wait & chances are that Sunday it won't be. cool.gif hockeygrin.gif up.gif up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Dec 02, 2011 4:58 pm 
Any suggestions of rain pants that allow movement? I tried some eVent pants at REI and they all seemed more designed for skiing/winter activities. I got very little upward movement when I tried to step up onto a bench.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jan 11, 2012 9:15 pm 
Not sure if this is what any of you are looking for, but: A few weeks ago, I got a pair of Eddie Bauer "Stormchek" pants. They were on a close-out sale for one dollar. The waist size was too large, and they had to be radically altered to bring the waist size down. (The flaps on the back pockets had to be removed and the back pockets are now sewn shut. That's okay- I don't carry anything in my pockets in the field.) I called Eddie Bauer on the phone. This particular model has been replaced with their "Nisqually" pants. The lady on the phone assured me they are made with exactly the same materials: 100% nylon outer shell, 100% nylon tricot lining. Crashing around in wet armpit-deep salal and evergreen huckleberry down at Pt. Defiance was no problem. They're a little noisy, but I stayed dry and they didn't snag on the brush. With lightweight Capilene underneath, they were toasty, but I wasn't broiling. Yesterday I walked around Sams Loop Trail with them. I did a fair amount of crashing around through sword fern and vine maple- all of it soaking wet- trying to get a better shot of those critters. They got a bit muddy, but I didn't get wet. They're a bit on the heavy and bulky side. Probably not something I'd want to try to stuff into a pack. They could be quiet, but I guess that's just the nature of nylon. My Filsons are quiet, but they'd have to be dry cleaned now, and they'd have been shredded after what I did to these. They don't zip all the way up the outseam. I've got a pair like that (made by "Mountain Sewn" in White Salmon, Washington), but they're like climbing into a sauna: they're airtight and don't breathe. As to whether or not I'd be willing to part with $80 for these (actually $90 for me in the "tall" size) remains a question. I was seriously considering a pair of Filson tin pants or bibs until these happened along. I've got a mess of wood laying in waist-high salal that needs cutting. When I get to it, I'll report the results.
stormchek_pants_011112
stormchek_pants_011112

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jan 11, 2012 9:21 pm 
Dude! Nice price!

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jan 11, 2012 9:31 pm 
well... they're not the most perfect fit in the world, considering they were a 34 and had to come down about 4 inches in the waist (requiring disassembling them almost entirely)... but they do seem to serve the purpose. I might nail some bachelor buttons to the waistband and dig out my big red suspenders. I think elastic waistbands are for the birds.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."