Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Olympic trail shelters
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RodF

RodF
PostMon Feb 06, 2012 4:38 pm 
Thanks, HH and RP for sharing your wonderful photos! Here's the only photo I've seen of Camp Marion on the Dosewallips Trail
Camp Marion
Camp Marion
It is undated (guess late 1930s or early 1940s?); source is Rooney "Frontier Legacy" p. 11.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RPBrown

RPBrown
PostMon Feb 06, 2012 5:19 pm 
The Camp Marian cabin was built by Fay Bunnell and Jerry Neyhart about 1922 for Frank Vincent. Frank was a famous packer (of the time) and used the cabin as a base camp. It was named for Frank's stepdaughter Marian Taylor. Fay is a shirt tail relative of mine, great, great uncle once removed or some such thing. Lousy scans but better than nothing.
MarianEdit
MarianEdit
MarianEdit1
MarianEdit1

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Feb 06, 2012 5:25 pm 
I would have loved to have seen the Bogachiel Ranger Station and barn. And I had no idea there was a shelter at Mosquito Creek that recently. What happened to it and when? Rumi PS: Camp Marion photos are very coo. When we stopped there the firdt time we had no idea about it, but it was obvious to us the place had some sort of building at one time.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
tinman

tinman
PostMon Feb 06, 2012 6:38 pm 
Rumi, I'm pretty sure the Mosquito Crk. shelter was gone by '84. It was located on the south side of the creek on a flat just above high tide line. At one time the flat extented quite aways upstream and during WWII was the site of a small encampment of Coast Guard personnel as part of the beach patrol. The part of the flat that held the Coast Guard camp was gone by '79 that i can remember and kept eroding away until it took the shelter location too.

Wherever you go, there you are.......
elderbob

elderbob
PostWed Feb 15, 2012 11:31 pm 
elderbob wrote:
This is a report Fred W. Cleator make in 1929 with an additon in 1937.
This Web site has been updated. Faster loading. Also now has the 1937 map he made. http://windsox.us/Cleator_1929/Cleator_Report_1929.html Check out the O'Neil page also. http://windsox.us/ONeil/ONeil.html

www.windsox.us Bobs ONP site
elderbob

elderbob
PostTue Mar 13, 2012 3:44 pm 
Two new links regarding the park shelters. The first one it to the letter sent by FOOTS to the NPS regarding the Gold Creek Shelter. http://www.windsox.us/VISITOR/history_shelters.html#WS3 Scroll down and click on FOOTS proposal. The second one is a series of letters and court documents regarding the Home Sweet Home and Low Divide shelters. Rather dull reading, but gives a background on the legal battle over the two shelters. http://windsox.us/Shelter_Court_Documents/Shelter_Court_Documents.html Thanks again to RodF for sending me these files. No editing was required. Just copy and paste into a html file.

reststep

reststep
PostTue Mar 13, 2012 4:51 pm 
Thanks for posting that Elder Bob. Do you know the date for the letter about the Gold Creek Shelter?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
elderbob

elderbob
PostTue Mar 13, 2012 6:02 pm 
Hi HJT They are still all there. In fact I have added more that I got from RodF. Try this link: http://www.windsox.us/VISITOR/history_buildings.html It will take you to history of buildings and shelters. Some of the shelters are in the buildings sections. Let me know if it is not what you are looking for. Elder Bob

elderbob

elderbob
PostTue Mar 13, 2012 6:07 pm 
Hi Reststop, Closest I can guess is around November 5, 2011. RodF will have to step in and give the exact date. No date in the letter. I am going by date of file that RodF sent me. Elder Bob

elderbob

elderbob
PostWed Mar 14, 2012 7:18 am 
Hi HJT When I originally created my Elder Bob Website, I only had buildings and shelters from Gail Evans book on the Historic Buildings. I put them under my Histrory section on my Elder Bob's Website. Then I took over Cate DeShazer's web site. She had a few new shelter photos. At that time, I only had shelters that had a description on their history and condition. Then I found NWHikers and a wealth of new photos of different shelters. I added them to my Website with credit to the person who posted them. Some of hem had no additional information, so I put them on a page just for shelters. All of my shelter photos can be accessed from either my Elder Bob's or Windsox.us web sites. I give credit to those who posted the photos on NWHikers.net. Sometimes those photos were originally posted by another person, but I had no way of telling who originally posted them. Elder Bob

RodF

RodF
PostSat Mar 17, 2012 1:26 pm 
Lyle Cowles, while leading Olympic National Park trail crews, authored a series of "Trail Notes" for the Forks Forum and Peninsula Daily News in the early 1970s. These were collected into a short book, "Letters from Olympus - A Trailman's Almanac" in 1976, which includes these photos of a few of the many historic structures we've since lost from the Park.
Bob Creek Shelter, Queets River (Lyle Cowles)
Bob Creek Shelter, Queets River (Lyle Cowles)
O'Neil Shelter, East Fork Quinault River (Lyle Cowles)
O'Neil Shelter, East Fork Quinault River (Lyle Cowles)
Bogachiel Shelter (Lyle Cowles)
Bogachiel Shelter (Lyle Cowles)
Bogachiel Guard Station (Lyle Cowles)
Bogachiel Guard Station (Lyle Cowles)
Graves Creek Campground, East Fork Quinault River (Lyle Cowles)
Graves Creek Campground, East Fork Quinault River (Lyle Cowles)

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
elderbob

elderbob
PostSat Mar 17, 2012 8:00 pm 
Hi Reststop Just heard from RodF. He got it on Halloween, 2011 As close as we can get.

Lotus54

Lotus54
PostSun Mar 18, 2012 7:17 pm 
My recollection is Lyle Cowles is the only ONP trail crew person killed on the job. Working on the old High Hoh Bridge. I worked with his brother (or was it cousin?) on roads about '84. MarkI

Lotus54

Lotus54
PostSun Mar 18, 2012 9:27 pm 
I've been doing more scanning ( eek.gif ) Here is one of Elkhorn RS from 1971. I chose white pants, since they look so sharp after walking 11.5 miles in the mud...

Lotus54

Lotus54
PostMon Mar 19, 2012 9:33 pm 
Falls Creek Shelter 1970 (Beach)