Forum Index > Gear Talk > Razor Sharp
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Aug 09, 2002 2:40 pm 
The last few years I've lost my touch sharpening knives. I used to be able to get a razor edge and keep it for some time. Now I find that when I have a keen edge, the next morning it has lost some of its bite. I've used course to fine wet & oil stones and have finished with an Arkansas followed by a strop. All is fine when done. I put it away and then the next day.... What's your procedure? PS... No, they haven't been in moon light. NN confused.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostSat Aug 10, 2002 11:15 am 
First, read this book. You can buy it at http://www.razoredgesystems.com/ or borrow my copy. You need a coarse stone and an ultra fine stone. 1. Grind the edge at 10 to 13 degrees on one side until you can feel a burr along the whole edge. Turn the blade over and grind the other side until you feel a burr for an inclusive angle of 20 to 25 degrees. At this point technique doesn't matter much. (That's what the book says. I actually alternate sides before I feel the burr and keep grinding and switching until I feel the burr--that keeps the width of the bevel on each side of the blade more consistent.) 2. Move to the fine stone. Increase the angle a little bit and slowly and carefully remove the burr and polish the edge. Here technique does matter. Pretend you are slicing a postage stamp off the stone with the edge. You always want the edge to be moving forward on the stone. With practice, you'll be able to shave the hair off your arm after step 2. For an even better edge, or to maintain your edge, burnish it with a smooth steel. If you steel your edge after each use your blade will stay sharp longer, you won't have to sharpen as often and your knife will last longer. Let me know if you want to borrow the book. P.S. The author of the book says not to use oil. I had my doubts, but I got some new stones and tried it and it works great. I'f you've used oil on your stones in the past you'll need new ones. I bought them through the link above, but you can get good stones cheaper through woodworking supply houses. P.P.S. If you are getting a seemingly sharp edge and then losing it quickly, you might be getting a "wire edge." In short you might not be completely removing the burr, but only straightening it. The burr is sharp, but not strong, and can "roll" leaving your edge dull.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Aug 12, 2002 6:23 pm 
Have both the dry and the spoiled? oil stones. Arkansas stone is prettttty fine. I may be getting a rolled burr but kinda doubt it. Saw a small diamond stone somewhere that looked like it could be decent. You know anything about? Haven't tried burnishing with steel. I'll give that a try and see how that works. Just funny how my technique used to work and now doesn't Thanks, NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Dante

Dante
PostMon Aug 12, 2002 10:03 pm 
http://www.handamerican.com/ makes a great steel for $27. If you don't already have one you can get a smooth steel from F. Dick or Forschner for less. The Hand Americal steel is fatter and longer than most of the other smooth steels I've seen. Good luck smile.gif