Forum Index > Gear Talk > Mountainsmith Ghost
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jul 19, 2002 1:01 am 
I carry around 25# on overnight trips. Not light enough to qualify as part of the elite, but certainly light enough. I still run into pack capacity problems, and I never want to deal with flimsy pack straps or waistbelts no matter what the load is. I'm dealing with this problem more in practice than in theory at this point. Pack sheets are still an issue with me, especially if I'm going to carry the pack partially filled, where this becomes more of a consideration. Steve (R-legs et al) is talking about another level of lightweight packing in this thread, a lot closer to the "Ray Way", and most of us I'm thinking, than I'll be going. Under 20# gets to a way of thinking that doesn't come easily for most. NN, in the Cascades you can have your coffee water and drink it too, if you know where the water is. I almost never carry more than a Q at a time, which is what I can drink if I'm really thirsty.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostFri Jul 19, 2002 6:43 am 
Our packs were 30-40 lbs, not 20. We had some technical gear and were testing tents, taking lots of photos.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jul 19, 2002 9:32 am 
So you guys had 30-40# in those kinds of packs? Were they tolerable, or did it suck?

rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostFri Jul 19, 2002 3:30 pm 
Depends, Allison, on one's whininess quotient waah.gif , one's attitude for outdoor enjoyment up.gif , and one's propensity for risk paranoid.gif . I didn't hear any complaining from Andy and he keeps using that pack (and he has numerous packs). Oh goodie, I got to use some emoticons! clown.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jul 19, 2002 4:18 pm 
Listen, if a pack's not comfortable, it's not comfortable. Whether or not one whines about it has nothing to do with this fact. A straighforward answer will do just fine. I got bruises from a test pack recently. It didn't get along with me, but that doesn't mean the WaahMbulance had to be called.

rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostFri Jul 19, 2002 10:28 pm 
Oops! Let's be straightforward and business like, and answer the question: Tolerable. lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif BpTW, I used a Dana Bridger pack on pthat Ptarmigan ptrip. 5.5 lbs bupt ultra comfy. pTooptaloo...

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Aug 12, 2002 2:07 pm 
I finally got around to carrying an overnight load with my MS Ghost. Total weight (including pack) was a whopping 25 lbs. Hmm, I might be a lightweight poser myself wink.gif. Absolutely no complaints at all up.gif.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Aug 12, 2002 6:17 pm 
Ok Tom, I gotta ask. What was ya carryin'? Ten essentials? Hammock? or Tent? 30* down bag? Stove and Fuel? Food? Water? or filter? I know you had the camera and gps Spare batteries? What am I leavin' out? 25-30 would be a nice range Even 30-35 for now So what was your gear list for an overnight? NN rolleyes.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Aug 12, 2002 7:22 pm 
Ten essentials? Of course wink.gif Hammock? or Tent? Hammock + 2 windshield reflectors for insulation 30* down bag? WM Megalite Stove and Fuel? Snow Peak Giga Auto Ignition and small cannister Food? 1 sandwich, 1 banana, 5 energy bars, 3 vending machine size trail mix, misc candy (in sandwich size bag), 2 freeze dried meals, tuna fish (the new flexible package stuff), 3 bagels, 3 hot chocolate Water? or filter? 2 liters of water + filter (weighs a lot less than another quart of water) I know you had the camera and gps Yep, and didn't take even one pic on this trip frown.gif Spare batteries? Yep, negligible What am I leavin' out? Clothes (add the most weight), 1.3L pot, and a few luxuries like a soap, towel, water carrier... 25-30 would be a nice range Even 30-35 for now So what was your gear list for an overnight? I was creating a list and weighing everything the night before but it was taking way too much time. At around 1AM I gave up and just shoved everything in the pack. I plan to create a spreadsheet with all my gear, clothing, food, etc. along with weights. Then I can just check off the items I plan to bring and have it calc. the weight - that's the only way I think I'll be able to get to my goal of 20 lbs.

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostTue Aug 13, 2002 4:55 pm 
I've use the Go-Lite Gust for day hikes, overnighters and for a four day plus trip and I really like it. The key, as Rubberlegs has already suggested is using your sleeping bag as the 'cylinder.' I've taken a lot of the advice from folks here on this site and really tried to lighten my load, but using a better and lightweight pack is the most essential thing I've done. (I have actually sawed a toothbrush in half) I didn't weigh my pack, but it hardly feels like it's there, I'm guessing around 25 lbs or so. This week could be an interesting challenge when I take my 11 year old nephew on a trip because I'll necessarily have to carry more so I'm interested in seeing how the Go-Lite performs.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Aug 13, 2002 5:31 pm 
A 20# load for overnight is absolutely an attainable goal, even solo. I just did sub 30# for 5 days with some climbing gear without any heartbreak. Tom, what was that scale called you have? I want to get a digital, preferably one that goes to 30#.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 13, 2002 8:57 pm 
My digital scale is a 6 lb scale. Since I don't have any gear that weighs more than 6 lbs it does the trick. This ebay store sells them for $30 (scroll down to the bottom of the page). For another $5 you can get a 13 lb scale. I used my bathroom scale to weigh my 25 lb pack since I wasn't necessarily interested in weighing it down to the gram.