Forum Index > Trip Reports > curtis gilbert, ives peak, old snowy - 2012-07-21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostThu Jul 26, 2012 10:40 am 
hollywood, r3h, tom_sjolseth, modern and i hit up the goat rocks area - the only part of the state that the forecast showed chances of sun. our chauffeur picked us all up and we left seattle around 8pm friday night, looking for some car camping near the TH. we arrived at the chambers lake campsite and set up shop under a mist. incredibly clean outhouse with loads of TP up.gif the next morning, we drove to trail 96A (all of 3 minutes away) and started hiking through clouds that covered our path. it was beautiful.
soon, views of adams greeted us. nice to see some green in the hillsides too.
along the way, we picked up a straggler --- she was lost, but having fun. hollywood invited her along (as he does with most girls, but most have enough common sense to decline/run away fast hink.gif ) we crossed goat creek on some rocks. water was low enough for dry feet. and continued upward towards the saddle between ives and curtis gilbert.
we set up camp just under the saddle in some nice sandy spots. windy, but nice. running water and a flower show a few minutes away. territorial views of adams (and rainier if you walk up to the saddle).
from camp, we traversed towards cispus pass and around towards curtis gilbert. smelled like a zoo in some places (damn goats).
we picked our way up and across a series of gullies.
interesting rock in there. one description tom read said "rocks glued into the mud." yep. some "if you fall, you die" places, but never really that bad.
after a slip, fall, and tumble by our new friend (no injuries), we regrouped for the summit run. clear-as-day route once you're past the gullies. a memorial cross was affixed to the summit, though no register.
there was even a ghost along with us.
then came the descent. our new partner was shaken from her tumble, so it was a slow, tedious deproach. i basically walked 2ft away from her the entire time to prevent her death (she slipped 3 times that could've resulted in it too).
because of the slow descent, we got to see some nice colors start to form.
after taking our friend back across the traverse from camp, i did a 1000ft of boot glissades (linking turns and corn-farming) while modern did some laps on skinny skis. then, back to camp.
winds chilled the otherwise pleasant temps. morning brought hazy skies, but stable conditions. beats lightning. we alternated between ridge and snow to tag ives. from ives to old snowy, three of us walked the mccall glacier (open crevasses in spots) while hollywood took the slower west side. east is the way to go.
we enjoyed watching the clouds form off the ridge below us while we waited for hollywood.
tom found a toilet seat rock on the way down and tried it on for size.
r3h and wood fought for the summit of little snowy.
and we proceeded down snowgrass flats, which as this time is more snow than grass.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostThu Jul 26, 2012 11:04 am 
up.gif Thanks for the pics Iron.

silence

silence
PostThu Jul 26, 2012 11:04 am 
interesting and difficult approach .. i take it you love the extra challenge? .. most just start from upper conrad basin up the conrad glacier .. ... it's pretty ez from there .. still it looks awesome .. love the wildflowers! wahoo

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Jetlag

Jetlag
PostThu Jul 26, 2012 5:18 pm 
Your new friend certainly ran into the right group of mountaineers! Helpful pictures . . . from a destination I haven't visited in years. Chauffeur?

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostThu Jul 26, 2012 5:22 pm 
A good trip to a new area! I've seen the Goat Rocks from a distance for a while and thanks again Hollywood for suggesting this area. I was surprised to see that the small glaciers there are still active. A few crevasses and shrunds were visible on the glaciers. The shrund below the Goat Citadel prevented a shortcut back to camp from Curtis Gilbert. The winds were constant all night and in the morning, my tent went for lift off as I was in the middle of taking it down and eating breakfast. Thanks Tom for running after it!
Spires on the way to Curtis Gilbert
Spires on the way to Curtis Gilbert
Ives to Old Snowy
Ives to Old Snowy
Tom and Iron taking a look at Rainier
Tom and Iron taking a look at Rainier
Old Snowy and Rainier sunset
Old Snowy and Rainier sunset
Ives
Ives
clouds forming
clouds forming
Hollywood at Old Snowy
Hollywood at Old Snowy
avalanche lilies
avalanche lilies

Eric Eames
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 26, 2012 5:46 pm 
Great pics as usual Irun. Nice work you guys.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
iron

iron
PostThu Jul 26, 2012 7:00 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
Thanks Tom for running after it!
speaking of: i had a good save myself. tom's iPod went sliding down an iced over snowy slope en route to ives. both tom and i ran after it, but i won! saved it with a slide stop like stealing 2nd base hockeygrin.gif

Tomlike

Tomlike
PostThu Jul 26, 2012 8:34 pm 
The windiest night I've ever spent in the mountains was not far from there, on a knob above Cispus Pass, after a calm evening everything changed in an instant. Sweet pics and report up.gif up.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jul 26, 2012 8:42 pm 
iron wrote:
Gnarly looking ridgecrest there. Sweet!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jul 26, 2012 8:45 pm 
iron wrote:
interesting rock in there. one description tom read said "rocks glued into the mud." yep. some "if you fall, you die" places, but never really that bad.
Some of these pics remind me of eroded volcanoes in Oregon like Thielsen and Three Fingered Jack. The rock glued into mud description fits those as well.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostMon Jul 30, 2012 8:36 am 
Fun trip gentlemen. up.gif Iron, your photos came out great. Thanks for saving my iPhone. r3h.. any time!

Spotly

Spotly
PostMon Jul 30, 2012 1:00 pm 
Nice, descriptive TR. The glued rock is weird. Way to watch out for your new friend smile.gif

Brucester

Brucester
PostThu May 27, 2021 3:01 pm 
Something about your trip reports that bring a person with you on them! Was just looking at your old TR's.... Thanks for sharing these with us!

iron

iron
PostThu May 27, 2021 3:38 pm 
Brucester wrote:
Something about your trip reports that bring a person with you on them!
it's the lowercase letters. sentences run on together forever that way and you cannot escape. occasionally, i miss writing these TRs (and hiking), but my kids are pretty awesome too.