Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Stewardship
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Damian

Damian
PostWed Aug 25, 2004 12:36 pm 
Quark wrote:
You have the media promoting nifty-keeno ideas about campfires to people who may not even know to consider burn bans. Joe Schmoe could read the article, think it's a great way to spend the weekend, run out to Bartell's and buy a tent and other camping gear and head out to camp for the first time in his life, along the side of a FS road, utilizing the ideas in the newspaper. He and his wife, who don't normally drink, get schnokered on martini's and the fire rages unchecked. Afterall, if it's in the paper, it must be O.K.
Quark you've been studying too hard or drinking too much coffee again. Your brain picks up so much momentum you can't stop it sometimes from careening off in some crazy direction taking innocent women and children out along the way. And what's wrong with shopping at Bartells? Remember that guy wearing his pajamas and slippers doing the PCT we ran into a couple years ago? I'm sure he got that tent at Bartells. And I've never seen a hiker more content.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Aug 25, 2004 1:46 pm 
uhhh-huhh....You durn fool. He was content 'cause he was smokin dope. But mostly I think he was content 'cause he was sitting on the side of the most beautiful part of the PCT while wearing stripped flannel pajamas and fleece-lined slippers. But I wonder if he remained content with that Bartell's pup tent after 3 days of rain that set in that night. If he had dug a moat around it, he'd have been ok. (there was the remains of an old moat around my tent site at Mica Lake, and there are several moat remains at Sauk Pass and near Stilletto Pk as well).

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Aug 25, 2004 3:28 pm 
I think ol' Quarkie has a point. I remember one of my first times backpacking and wondering if I needed to get out and dig a moat around my tent when I heard a few raindrops hitting the tent. All because I'd "read it somewhere".

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Damian

Damian
PostWed Aug 25, 2004 3:41 pm 
She does not have a point. Don't listen to Quark. She likes the rain. She ain't happy if she isn't all soggy and wet. Sometimes she jumps into creeks complete with all her gear simply for this reason.

D'Airy Queen

D'Airy Queen
PostWed Aug 25, 2004 7:12 pm 
Moats are ok, but not everyone should have one. It should be deep enough to drown a knave, and wide enough for 10 alligators to swim abreast. I camped once at Lake Laura, and since there was no moat, I began digging one but grew tired when I was about halfway finished. The remains are still there to see for those who explore its southern side.

Ta ta, time to feed the alligators.
hopalong
Tree Climber

hopalong
Tree Climber
PostWed Aug 25, 2004 7:12 pm 
here's an idea.. if you feel you need to dig a moat move your tent. Chances are your moat isn't going to change a darn thing. Depending apon the moat i guess.

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostWed Aug 25, 2004 7:38 pm 
I thought the moat was to keep the besieging slug army from storming your tent. You can't man the cauldrons of boiling salt all night.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostWed Aug 25, 2004 10:26 pm 
I actually ran into a couple backpackers in the Sierras in the late 70s that were digging a moat. It was close to timberline in a grassy-gravelly area. This one guy was digging hard trying to break through the sod and gravel. We chatted with them for little bit and found out that they were from OHIO.

Let me stand next to your fire
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Aug 25, 2004 10:37 pm 
Lots of barbarians in Ohio. Moats are pretty common there. Gotta defend the peasants.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Aug 26, 2004 10:59 am 
Damian wrote:
She does not have a point. Don't listen to Quark. She likes the rain. She ain't happy if she isn't all soggy and wet. Sometimes she jumps into creeks complete with all her gear simply for this reason.
I can vouch for this. Sitting cross-legged in the middle of the creek, boots, clothes, and everything, just to filter some water. Why I hang out with crazies I will never understand....

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Aug 26, 2004 11:03 am 
When I started backpacking with my Dad (in the '70s) we always dug a moat around our tent. That's the way he was taught to make camp, and that's what he taught us kids. We always filled the moats in when we broke camp, but that used to be a very common practice. Note - I do not dig moats now! I haven't done that since I started college and learned better.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic