Forum Index > Trip Reports > 40 Years of Toleak 8/17 - 8/19 2012
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon Aug 20, 2012 3:52 pm 
On the drive over, it occurred to me that my first trip to Toleak Point was in 1972. Multiple visits later, I never tire of the familiar place. Left Leavenworth at 4:30 AM and made the 7:10 Edmonds ferry. Easy drive to P.A. to pay respect to ancestors and locales, and pick up the permit/bear can. Surprisingly, not that many cars at the TH for a summer weekend, and beyond Third Beach, just a scattering of souls. You know it's gonna' be a good trip when you start talking to yourself early on. dizzy.gif I had a pick of campsites between Strawberry and Toleak. The day had started out with sun breaks but soon fogged up. Not a problem. A Platy-full of Chilean wine had washed up the Pacific Coast, most likely from a Trader Joes shipment. eyes.gif Salami, cheese, sourdough and "Frampton Comes Alive" on the iPod. doof.gif
Cozy
Cozy
Steely
Steely
The next day was agenda-less. It started foggy and sprinkly (Irish & Celtic Music podcast between listening to the waves and eagles) and ended with the sun breaking through between the fogbank and the cloud deck.
Soft Lighting
Soft Lighting
Toleak
Toleak
Pastels
Pastels
Soft Sunset
Soft Sunset
Having a Time
Having a Time
The Evening Show
The Evening Show
Easy hike out the next day, except for that last endless mile and half of gravel trail to reach the car. confused.gif The therapy session was a success. up.gif up.gif up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Aug 20, 2012 4:52 pm 
Awesome report and pics. Hey, did anyone ever tell you that you look like a cross between Ivar Haglund and James Coburn? hmmm.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Aug 20, 2012 5:38 pm 
wow! blue eyes up.gif you beat me to the coast by a year....i made my first visit in 1973! looks like you had a great time....one is never alone! i claim to be with ME, MYSELF, and I, lots of company lol.gif cozy tent site up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon Aug 20, 2012 5:43 pm 
Hey Slug, I know it's one of your favorite places too. By the way, I think those guys had a lot more coverage on top of their head than I do. headrub.gif Appropriately, the wine that washed up from Chile was a "Found Object"!
Found Object
Found Object
Pretty good red for $7...... up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon Aug 20, 2012 5:45 pm 
Hey Bobbi, I half expected to see you while cruising through Sequim, that is if you weren't up trompin' the mountains somewhere. smile.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Aug 20, 2012 6:49 pm 
ahem..... no cruisin' sequim for this gal! cool.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Aug 21, 2012 11:54 am 
Get Out and Go wrote:
A Platy-full of Chilean wine had washed up the Pacific Coast,
Soothing photos. up.gif up.gif Didn't you mean to say, "you washed down a Platy full of Chilean wine"?

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Aug 21, 2012 11:58 am 
That wine should have been consumed at Chilean Memorial. hmmm.gif wink.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Aug 21, 2012 12:48 pm 
Really nice pictures. up.gif

Tomlike

Tomlike
PostTue Aug 21, 2012 12:55 pm 
It is a really great spot up.gif I've been out that way once each of the last two years, hard to think about going there in 2050 dizzy.gif

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostTue Aug 21, 2012 7:06 pm 
Hit the Trail, I savored the wine to make sure it lasted 2 nights....Perfect! smile.gif Tomlike, well, if you've gone back for a second visit, there must be something there to draw you back again....and again?....maybe even in 2050! uhh.gif winksmile.gif

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Aug 22, 2012 11:14 am 
I first went out to Shi shi beach in 1973 and have been going to the coast as often as possible. Toleak is such a primo spot. Maybe the nicest spot on the washington coast. very cool that you had it to yourself. Nice little mud slog this year when we were out there in July....