Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Snider (B.C.) 11/10/2012
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Nov 13, 2012 11:21 am 
I like doing peaks in areas I am not familiar with. Grant M. suggested this one so I joined him, Dave C., Sam H., Franklin B., and Don B. for this outing. 6680' high with 1004' of prominence. Elevation gain I think was 4400 feet. We took exit 192 off of the Coquihalla River Highway and drove almost exactly 5 miles up the Sowaqua Creek road to just before a stream crossing. 23 degrees when we got out of the car. Up into the forest we went. What type of forest? Tight small trees...although they did not have their branches out most of our heighth so it wasn't terrible...but at times challenging...we reached a good forest about 1000 feet higher...then back to the small trees and then to a boulder field while trying to attain the NW ridgeline. Back to some more small trees, and then we hit the meadows covered in fresh snow staying just below the ridgeline in the open areas until just below the summit. Then an easy scramble directly up to the summit. 4 hours up. The summit was cold. Very cold. No wind. Man it was cold. We moved around while looking at somewhat of the views partially obscured by clouds. The summit sported two volunteer service pins placed by somebody else. Fascinating to look at. We did not stay too long. We came down gingerly due to the frozen duff and light layers of snow on the rocks/meadows/covered duff. What a great time!

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostTue Nov 13, 2012 11:52 am 
up.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Nov 13, 2012 1:24 pm 
Nice looking peaks in the summit views. Of all the possibilities across the border, what made Snider the choice?

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Nov 13, 2012 2:31 pm 
up.gif up.gif up.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Nov 13, 2012 4:52 pm 
Stefan wrote:
Here is some information about the medal on the left. http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group04/cvsm

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Nov 13, 2012 5:00 pm 
Cool. up.gif

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Nov 13, 2012 5:05 pm 
Stefan wrote:
Here is some information about the medal on the right (the reverse side is King George VI shown in the other photo). http://www.mod.uk/defenceinternet/defencefor/veterans/medals/defencemedal.htm

LadyÆsa
Surefooted Spitfire

LadyÆsa
Surefooted Spitfire
PostTue Nov 13, 2012 5:12 pm 
I was wondering about the medals... Thanks for the info!

"We have one chance, one chance, to get everything right. We have one chance, one chance, and if we're lucky we might." One Chance, Modest Mouse
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostTue Nov 13, 2012 5:29 pm 
That reminds me to get a passport soon so I can enjoy BC in the winter. Nice pictures and great report.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Nov 13, 2012 5:31 pm 
Mt Snider was named after First Officer Lloyd Snider. He was born July 6, 1912 and died August 2, 1944 in a routine flying exercise in England. His brother, Andy Snider, climbed Mt. Snider in 1986. Andy Snider was in his early 60s when he ascended the peak. A cross and photos were placed during the ascent with Neil Grainger. Neil Grainger has published a book entitled, The Mountain Project, to honour servicemen killed in WW2. Sixty-seven crosses have been placed on various mountains in SW British Columbia to honour the lost. You can obtain the book here http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=3883112228&searchurl=an%3Dneil%2Bgrainger%26sts%3Dt Information about the departed men is provided by the book as well as stories about the climbs made to deliver the crosses. Here is more of Officer Snider's life to those who would like to learn more about the man who gave his all for us. Scroll down to his name. http://www.chilliwackmuseum.ca/WW2_S_names.html

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Nov 13, 2012 6:06 pm 
Stefan wrote:
I like doing peaks in areas I am not familiar with.
Mt Snider is described in Bivouac as "Probably one of the most obscure summits in SW BC." http://bivouac.com/MtnPg.asp?MtnId=1130

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Nov 14, 2012 11:32 am 
puzzlr wrote:
...what made Snider the choice?
None of had done this. Grant has done many in the area... Thanks Mike for all the information. Fascinating stories.

Art is an adventure.