Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Old Glacier - Camp Heliotrope Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Sep 29, 2004 1:09 pm 
On my week long waterfall pillgramage with my friend from Vermont last week, we went after a long forgotten waterfall on Lookout Creek near the Heliotrope trailhead. The falls are a measely 1/5 mile above the Glacier Creek Road, but not really visible from the road. As we were climbing upstream, we came across evidence of a trail tread. Not necessarily like an animal path, this was a good 3 feet wide, and relatively level, paralleling the road's course. Where we encountered it, it was between two channels of Lookout Creek, and where the tread appeared to cross the streams, there were either waterfalls or steep banks, so we didn't bother exploring any further, but after examining an old map, I believe this was part of the old Glacier - Mount Baker trail that climbed to the old cabin at Camp Heliotrope. This would also explain why the falls, which are quite significant, were marked on the map back then, but have essentially been forgotten now. Anyone ever found any other segments of the original trail?
map
map

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message