Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Site Moderation?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Nov 09, 2012 6:36 pm 
I think you guys do a pretty good job of moderation, particularly given that you're all volunteers. When you lock a thread, due to folks starting to get personal with each other, I wonder if it might be instructive to folks to explain the reasoning a bit more explicitly, or to edit out the insults, rather than just locking with a "time to lock this" statement, as I'm not convinced it's as obvious to all the players as we might hope. But, then, you are all volunteers and I know from a bit of personal experience how much time even paying attention to a thread and deciding whether to lock it can take, let alone drafting a reasonable explanation and dealing with the follow-on PMs and so forth. Tom makes a good point about the constructive nature of folks owning their posts, and sets an example in that regard by using his full name. I don't know how common the phenomenon of people creating alter-ego accounts is, but in the few cases where I've seen this happen, it seems to bring out the absolute worst in people. I suppose managing away such accounts is yet another burden on the volunteer staff, so it's just something that will happen now and again.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ree

ree
PostFri Nov 09, 2012 7:10 pm 
Things are much better these days. up.gif up.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Nov 09, 2012 10:25 pm 
Damian wrote:
Great idea Sluggo. In the meantime, for a buck a post I'll sanitize yours. Five bucks for the heavy duty jobs lol.gif
ykm.gif rotf.gif

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostFri Nov 09, 2012 10:31 pm 
I don't think the moderation is good or bad. I think it's hard to be a moderator and always be fair. Moderators are human after all. Sometimes bad calls are made just like sports officials make bad calls and sometimes the judgements are dead on. What makes the moderation work best is the team approach rather than just relying on one often subjective point of view. I believe this used to happen on NWH, not sure if it still does or not.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Nov 09, 2012 11:01 pm 
Tom wrote:
I would say that if anyone has issues with the moderation here, the best thing to do is contact the moderator team
Someday I will send a PM to one of the team. It has to do with what is and isn't censorship and a censor: (2 an official with the power to examine publications, movies, television programs etc., and to remove or prohibit anything considered obscene, libelous, politically objectionable, etc.).

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Nov 10, 2012 1:00 pm 
Is it censorship if a church asks you not to swear loudly during the services? Some apparently would think it was, even though they are free to leave and swear elsewhere.

touron

touron
PostSat Nov 10, 2012 1:17 pm 
Is it censorship for the Angry Hiker to ask someone not to talk on their cell phone while he is trying to enjoy a moment of solitude up on Mt. Si?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Nov 11, 2012 7:46 am 
touron wrote:
Is it censorship for the Angry Hiker to..
Cuss? Keeping in context this new media and that this forum may be a family site some censorship is reasonable. But look closely and you'll see that here on the subject of politics; it is allowed. Discuss of politics is allowed in the Stewardship forum. As of the other evening politics is also allowed on the night of an election. I assume that this is a model that was also used on the subject of 'guns'. These two subjects are allowed in context and therefore regulated. There is discussion about politics and guns. What about other area's including cussing where there is strict cencorship. How about some cussing only in Trip Reports? Not all trips go as planned. Some are complete disasters and deserve some angry venting, IMO.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Nov 12, 2012 10:58 am 
The no politics rule is great. The fact that the rule is clearly spelled out allows for self moderation. Someone who brings up politics is going to be informed of the no politics rule quickly with a scarey reference to the moderators! It would be great to have a no name calling rule. Name calling is probably the biggest toxin in our environment. It limits growth, poisons otherwise civil relationships, discourages participation and pretty much destroys threads. It's effective and maybe fun in the short-run, but long term it's extremely deleterious.

hiker1

hiker1
PostMon Sep 16, 2013 9:42 pm 
I agree with many of the above comments about less moderation and respectful behavior. Compared to ClubTread.com (mainly BC) I much prefer NWhikers.net. And the funny thing is that CT has a long page of rules and guidelines, which the moderators do not always enforce. But I can't even find a similar list of rules etc. for NWHikers.net. Maybe specific forums or subforums have some guidelines, like for Guns, but that seems to be it. ----------- At the moment I was wondering about nudity, because there's a funny nude orchestra video that I might post... or if nudity is not allowed, then the url with no hyperlink... Actually they play a movement from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite. A fair performance, considering they are playing nude in front of a live audience. Even the conductor is naked.

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Damian

Damian
PostTue Sep 17, 2013 5:50 pm 
Thx for the comments Hiker1. You've probably posted enough about the orchestra in that people can Google it if they wish to. Unless, of course, the orchestra is hiking.

hiker1

hiker1
PostWed Sep 18, 2013 11:41 am 
Damian wrote:
You've probably posted enough about the orchestra in that people can Google it if they wish to.
Actually in my post above I added more info like the composer and title of the piece, info that was not on the video. So it might be harder to find. But still, what about nudity? If you look at the recent infamous Miley Cyrus video, some of which is in this NWH post here, most people would say, whether or not she is naked, her "performance" is sexually suggestive, maybe very much so. But in the naked orchestra video, there's next to no suggestion of sex, just an orchestra playing as they would normally, except without clothing.

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostWed Sep 18, 2013 7:44 pm 
Hiking related nudity is fine. I believe I have seen a tuckas or two posted on here before. Non-hiking related nudity has no purpose on this site. BTW - Enough with the judgmentalism w/r/t nudity.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
hiker1

hiker1
PostWed Sep 18, 2013 9:56 pm 
David¹ wrote:
Non-hiking related nudity has no purpose on this site. BTW - Enough with the judgmentalism w/r/t nudity. Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm.
Sarcasm indeed. Why is there a Saloon forum here? And there is a big difference between highly sexualized dancing such as Miley's and say, artwork of nudes such as Rodin's The Thinker.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Sep 19, 2013 2:03 am 
You'd think after all these years we might have figured out a way to get along?!?!?!?!? moon.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln