Forum Index > Gear Talk > Rain Pants Advice for the Hardcore? (Video by Critter)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostSat Sep 28, 2013 7:46 pm 
Now that I have a new jacket, the Arc'teryx Alpha SV (2013-2014). I'd like to upgrade my rain pants to a pair that can stand up to extreme weather. Some people say Gore-Tex is a failure but my experiences have shown otherwise. I have the Arc'teryx Alpha SV jacket and I would really like to find some pants that I can use in severe weather. I'm not sure I need the same extreme protection and durability that the Alpha SV provides, so I'm willing to go a less expensive route.
Here's the same link if you have trouble viewing my video.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Sep 28, 2013 8:06 pm 
Wouldn't the Arcteryx Alpha SV Bibs be the obvious choice?

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostSat Sep 28, 2013 8:12 pm 
Please don't make me spend that much. ---------- This post has been Critter approved. I feel this post is honest, helpful, and not hurtful.

soUthinkUcanCamp
meck

meck
PostSat Sep 28, 2013 8:18 pm 
Critter, one option I've considered trying out is the gaiters + rain skirt option (making sure that the rain skirt extends/overlaps with the gaiters). I've made and used superK-coated ripstop rain pants in the past but I usually worked up too much of a sweat when going uphill so I ended up as wet as if I had just let my trousers brush against all of the wet foliage anyways. I used a scrap piece of silnylon a couple of weeks ago while off-trailing up to Cunningham Pass from Tunnel Creek, it seemed to work reasonably well If you went the gaiter-rain skirt option I'd definitely be interested in how well it worked out for you. I have to imagine that a rain skirt would be less expensive to replace/easier to repair/fabricate than rain pants.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Sep 28, 2013 8:19 pm 
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostSat Sep 28, 2013 8:24 pm 
I saw a trail going off of Ellinor from the little area with a bench and a big rock on the lower trail. Maybe that was the trail you wanted.

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostSat Sep 28, 2013 8:35 pm 
Randy Hiker, I wonder if that's last years model. If so, it's 28% less beathable, but thanks I may go that route. Ranger, I know/saw the route I was looking for. ----------- This post has been Critter approved. I feel this sucker is honest, helpful, and not hurtful.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostSat Sep 28, 2013 8:38 pm 
Critter wrote:
Please don't make me spend that much.
You just bought the Ferrari of rain shells. You now have obligations.

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 8:02 pm 
I realize that to match the protection of my jacket I'd need to go with the Alpha SV Bib Pants but they look like a project to manage if I need to poop in severe weather, especially while wearing a harness. A guy on another post recommended some Filson Oil pants. I'm getting those for bushwhacking, but I feel they may not be adequate for the driving rain seen in the video. I'm now looking at lighter duty options from Arc'teryx, without suspenders.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 8:36 pm 
treeswarper's not a guy. Filson is good stuff. I own a tin cruiser. (no pants) probably should re-wax it... that's what makes for the "waterproof" on the Filson tin cloth stuff. definitely not "ultra light" gear, though. anything from Filson is going to be heavy, but bulletproof. maybe I'll go wax my coat and get back to you with a report. supposed to be 70 mph gusts on the coast tonight- might make for good beach pickings. smile.gif * and you can usually get a much better deal on Filson at a saw shop than through Filson directly. she was right about pricing: Sunbird has the best prices. you might check Swain's up in PA though.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 8:49 pm 
Critter's criteria: must withstand all-day bushwacking in a downpour and allow hassle-free pooping while on belay lol.gif It's been a while since we've seen real innovation from Gore-Tex...when will they release the long awaited waterproof/poopable membrane?!

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 8:51 pm 
Some years ago I bought a pair of PreCip rain pants and have never worn them. Never seen a need and now don't bring them along. In sustained rain, a good hard shell (Westcomb NeoShell) and good gaiters worn with softshell pants works well.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 9:03 pm 
Quote:
In sustained rain, a good hard shell (Westcomb NeoShell) and good gaiters worn with softshell pants works well.
Did you see that video? Rain was coming up to me from the ground. What about your crotch area and, most of all, the area above your knees? Do they really stay dry in extreme weather? I'm short (5'8") but I usually buy jackets that are sized "tall" for extra coverage. Still, I don't think they are long enough for my purposes. I don't think the jacket you suggested will help my pant's situation.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 9:16 pm 
The Westcomb jacket I suggested won't be any different than the Arc'Teryx jacket you just bought. The hard shell jacket/softshell pants/gaiters combo works well for me. Dry and warm enough with decent breathability, freedom of movement, and durability. Just don't see the need for rain pants. I'm not going to wear softshell pants and bring a pair of rain pants. Some will disagree. YMMV.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 9:20 pm 
Soft shell pants are only water resistant and not for extreme weather. I had on the best gaiters and rain shell top, in that video, still water ran down my legs. I was even wearing rain pants. You should see the video at 3:19.

soUthinkUcanCamp