Forum Index > Gear Talk > Rain Pants Advice for the Hardcore? (Video by Critter)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 9:26 pm 
Let me see, I wore tin pants at work. Here is a picture of one of the "Offices" on a nice day. Now, wade through this stuff on a rainy day and you've got bushwhacking. Actually, this is a well laid out area, wade through a helicopter unit, where the cutters don't seem to be concerned about the lay.
fellandbuck
fellandbuck
Wore them in snow too. That's not me in the blue pants.
I'm sold on them. They are heavy and they are cotton, so I guess they might kill you. They'll look like they are wet, but they aren't. I think I've tested them quite thoroughly.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 9:34 pm 
Critter wrote:
Soft shell pants are only water resistant and not for extreme weather.
I've worn that combo (hard shell, soft shell pants that have a very light and thin Merino Wool layer attached, and gaiters) in some pretty extreme weather -- albeit with different Merino Wool layers dependent upon the season and altitude. It's worked well. YMMV.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 10:30 pm 
Blue Dome, I'm not sure if that would really work for me. I'm trying to stay dry. You are, however, right in saying that merino wool is the best fabric in that situation(and most situations). I'm still thinking about the advicet treeswarper gave.(not because I just found out he's((she's)) a girl). I'm hoping I said all of that perfectly.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 10:59 pm 
I've never needed waterproof pants....if it's raining that hard in the alpine I'm bailing out or hunkering down. It seems Critter is more willing to head out into poor weather than I am...but if I can climb it in the rain it's not a hard enough climb for me (I'm rarely motivated for something that isn't pushing my limits, and storms aren't the place to do that). Bushwacking is a whole other kind of wet than rain, in my experience. Every plant you brush releases a highly concentrated torrent. I could see that overwhelming the DWR and fast-drying of a good softshell. But for most people in most situations BD's setup works great. If you get wet just keep moving...down probably better than up.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 11:03 pm 
Also, I have some heavy-duty eVent bibs for sale. If you think bibs are what you need you'd be hard pressed to find better.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Relax

Relax
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 12:19 am 
Dane wrote:
Critter's criteria: must withstand all-day bushwacking in a downpour and allow hassle-free pooping while on belay lol.gif It's been a while since we've seen real innovation from Gore-Tex...when will they release the long awaited waterproof/poopable membrane?!
Rubber coated canvas bibs. Cheapest way to go. Must be BIBS. NOT PANTS. Rubber pants will HOLD your sweat IN. BIBS will "pump" the air out as you move. IE your movement will cause the overlarge bibs to act like a bellows. Regulate this "pumping" via your BUTTONED down, uh hem, Buttoned down rubber coat. Can open the middle in other words. I have never seen a rubber coat with pit zips, though buy an XXXL and make your own pit zips. Not hard.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 1:42 am 
This is what you need in that kind of rain. Cabela's I own a set of the Extreme Guide parka and bibs that have been awesome. I've bushwacked in pouring rain, fished all day in wind and pouring rain out on the salt/river in Alaska and stay bone dry. You must not be able to wear contacts? I'd go nuts if I had to go back to wearing glasses while hiking. Fog up and get wet what a pain.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 11:43 am 
In a long sustained hard rain, yer just going to get wet. All you can do is mitigate the effects. Have a plan on how to sorta dry out. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
hiker1

hiker1
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 1:01 pm 
If the trip is not in extreme rain + serious and prolonged bushwhacking, I use an old pair of cheap rain chaps. Advantages: they breathe well (even though they are not goretex etc), and make toilet use easy, and are very lightweight. Normally use them with gaiters (OR) under them, or over if necessary.

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 2:59 pm 
Legs don't sweat as much as most of the rest of your body so that opens things up a bit. I have been happy with many shell pants, from el-cheapos to nice Gore tex. If I have a choice I will wear Gore tex every time though...

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 5:49 pm 
here you go, Critter. this is an old Filson tin Cruiser. about twenty years old. never waxed before. (first photo) second and third photos are after applying an entire can of Filson's Oil-Wax and melting in with a heat gun. (hair dryer was taking too long.) I'm guessing about four of five pounds. no way can you beat this for crashing through evergreen huckleberry and vine maple. I try to steer clear of devils club, myself.
filson_01
filson_01
filson_02
filson_02
filson_03
filson_03
*edit 100813 18:30 PDT - net weight after waxing 4.16 pounds (on Mike's scale up at Albertsons) *the jacket was actually darker after waxing. the first photo was taken under artificial light, the second two in sunlight.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 8:24 pm 
Accessories are important. The Filson Hat can be used to water a Used Dog. Unleashed, of course. biggrin.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 10:18 pm 
I've decided to go with the cheapest Gor-tex pants I can find. In the mean time (tonight) I'll probably get another $30 pair of Storm Venture rain pants from Campmor. That makes pair number four in 2 years. They don't last long with the abuse I put them through but they really work and they are excellent for the winter (except glissading).

soUthinkUcanCamp
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostTue Oct 01, 2013 12:15 am 
I"ve got REI brand light weight rain pants.. they seem pretty good..

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 01, 2013 12:43 pm 
Critter, see my earlier post here The Nisqually Rain Pants are on a clearance sale right now for $40. Looking at it again, that previous thread is worth reviewing.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."