Forum Index > Gear Talk > Rain Pants Advice for the Hardcore? (Video by Critter)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Oct 01, 2013 1:30 pm 
Critter wrote:
I've decided to go with the cheapest Gor-tex pants I can find.
Your antics are entertaning -- Spending $700 for the jacket while spending $40 on the pants is an interesting choice. I'm sure we will get many reports on how well each hold up.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 01, 2013 1:46 pm 
well, he could try Filson's new $400 River Bank Rain Pants but from my phone call to Filson yesterday they sound like high-priced Precip.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Oct 01, 2013 9:02 pm 
Well if you want to spend money on old-skool -- there is always waxed cotton -- the orignal waterproof / breathable material http://www.fjallraven.us/collections/mens

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 01, 2013 9:30 pm 
videos say it's 65% polyester / 35% cotton blend impregnated with an oil/wax, if I'm understanding correctly. looks like nice (and well-thought-out) stuff from the videos. and while it may be "old school", nobody has come up with anything that is more durable- not even close.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostSun Oct 06, 2013 8:56 am 
When I bought the Arc'teryx Alpha SV rain jacket, I bought the most capable rain jacket in the galaxy. As a result, I've realized that my previous rain gear was even more inadequate than I could have ever imagined. Unlike my other rain gear, my Arc'teryx Alpha SV has been keeping me dry in severe weather like I've never imagined possible. I really wanted to buy something less expensive but when I'm in a serious situation in the mountains I always think of the gear I wish I had. I almost got something less expensive but I believe there is no better choice. I didn't want the Alpha SV bib, 16.4 oz. I wanted the heavier 16.6 oz Arct'eryx Saber pants for durability, added warmth. I also feel the pants will be more manageable than the bib. I may be able to leave my merino base layer bottoms in my pack with the added warmth from the Arc'terx Saber pants. I went with Arc'teryx Sabre pants. $488.25

soUthinkUcanCamp
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostSun Oct 06, 2013 9:45 am 
Holy crap Critter.. I hope you stay nice and dry this winter. It makes me cringe when you rip the tags off your expensive pants and coat.

ScottP

ScottP
PostSun Oct 06, 2013 11:24 am 
Critter wrote:
Quote:
In sustained rain, a good hard shell (Westcomb NeoShell) and good gaiters worn with softshell pants works well.
I'm short (5'8") but I usually buy jackets that are sized "tall" for extra coverage. Still, I don't think they are long enough for my purposes. .
It sounds like you need a caguole.

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostSun Oct 06, 2013 8:59 pm 
I don't worry about buying tall now that I have this suit of armor. I'm not sure why you say I need a cagoule. I agree that everyone should carry something like that in the winter. I carry one or two neck gaiters. Don't get polyester to cover your mouth. Guys who are wearing polyester over their mouths are cutting holes to breath through. I don't worry about that with my merino wool.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Edgewood

Edgewood
PostMon Oct 07, 2013 9:10 am 
Critter your thinking of a balaclava. A cagoule is a rain coat that extends to the knees. It is named after a monks robe.

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostMon Oct 07, 2013 6:02 pm 
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought a cagoule was a hood like a balaclava. That's what bing showed, but then I saw some on Campmor after Edgewoods post.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 09, 2013 12:37 am 
RandyHiker, are there any Fjällräven retailers around here? Since someone asked via PM about something I mentioned in the rain jacket thread:
filson_wool_mackinaw_field_pants_01
filson_wool_mackinaw_field_pants_01
filson_wool_mackinaw_fiele_pants_02
filson_wool_mackinaw_fiele_pants_02
Filson model #89 wool Mackinaw Field Pants. (Old style- no little side pocket.) Heavy. Toasty. For most purposes too warm for here. Great in four feet of snow post-holing up to Blue Lake or standing in the wind on the beach at Ozette in February. (think: heavy wool Army blanket X 2)
mountain_sewn_rain_pants_01
mountain_sewn_rain_pants_01
mountain_sewn_rain_pants_02
mountain_sewn_rain_pants_02
mountain_sewn_rain_pants_03
mountain_sewn_rain_pants_03
mountain_sewn_rain_pants_04
mountain_sewn_rain_pants_04
"Mountain Sewn" brand made in White Salmon Washington. 100% nylon. Huge zippers down both outseams. Double fabric on knees, seat, and inside lower legs. Absolutely waterproof. No breathability in the fabric, but the side zippers allow venting. Drawstring waist. Super lightweight. No idea what happened to this company. I own a pair of their gaiters, and they're great- Well made stuff. Wish they were still around.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 09, 2013 8:56 am 
Ski wrote:
RandyHiker, are there any Fjällräven retailers around here?
The only retailer I've been to is in the SOHO district of Manhattan, a liitle ways from the coffee shop where my daugther slings expresso. Their store locator shows some stores in the Seattle area. I don't about the Seattle shops -- but the impression I got from the SOHO store was that most of the customers were making purchases as a fashon statement than for actual outdoor usage -- But I suppose that's true of REI, etc. Sierra Designs has added a collection of Vintage 60/40 jackets.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 09, 2013 1:39 pm 
no retailers in Seattle area carrying mens apparel items in stock, unfortunately. means online only. their people on the phone were very nice and very helpful. just ordered the "Keb" trousers online.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Oct 10, 2013 12:34 pm 
Ski wrote:
"Mountain Sewn" brand made in White Salmon Washington.
Wow, is Joan still making clothes?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 10, 2013 8:41 pm 
I have no idea. I've done many Google searches over the years, but just hit dead ends. If you know who made that stuff and if they're still in business, let me know. Those pants and the gaiters were both incredibly well-designed and constructed. I've had both for almost 20 years and they're both still in great shape. I saw another pair of pants they'd made one day in a shop up on the Hoh Road and am still kicking myself for not having bought them!