Forum Index > Gear Talk > Rain Pants Advice for the Hardcore? (Video by Critter)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Oct 11, 2013 2:43 pm 
I used to order from her back in the 80s but have not for decades now. I called her old number but no go... She did only small production runs and was mostly known locally. I suspect she is out of it entirely now...retired or moved. You might ask the shop in Hood River if she is still around since they are pretty "local".

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 16, 2013 1:09 pm 
okay... FedEx showed up yesterday with a package, and here's my initial assessment on the Fjällräven "Keb" trousers:
fjallraven_keb_trouser_01_101513_01
fjallraven_keb_trouser_01_101513_01
fjallraven_keb_trouser_02_101513
fjallraven_keb_trouser_02_101513
fjallraven_keb_trouser_03_101513
fjallraven_keb_trouser_03_101513
fjallraven_keb_trouser_04_101513
fjallraven_keb_trouser_04_101513
It appears a good deal of thought and planning went into these, as well as excellent workmanship. They appear to be very well made. The top (and crotch) are a stretchy material- so there shouldn't be an issue with binding. The dark portions are their "G1000" cloth - 65% polyester / 35% cotton, impregnated with a little bit of their "Greenland Wax" (paraffin and beeswax). (Recipe for cooking up your own wax on YouTube) Knees have a pocket under them allowing insertion of standard-issue US Army BDU knee pads (same as the ones I have in my work pants.) The Swedish sizing was a puzzle. I ordered size 50 (34" waist/35" inseam) so I could get the longer inseam, even though my waist size is only about a 32. They seem okay with a belt, but if they're still too sloppy I can get the waist taken in for $25 here locally. Side zippers allow venting along the thigh, and along the calf. They do NOT break open at the bottom hem. I went over to REI yesterday and looked at all their pants again. They have nothing comparable to these when it comes to abrasion resistance until you get into the $200 heavy lined ski pants. Everything I looked at that would be considered "lightweight" would get torn to shreds wading through Evergreen huckleberry, Salmonberry, Salal, and Devils Club. Out of the box, these are advertised as coming in at 17.8 ounces. A good waxing might add a little bit, but the difference is going to be negligible. I got prompt replies to my email inquiries regarding care and maintenance (see below) Machine wash/gentle cycle/cool water/"NikWax" "TechWash" (or equivalent) is best. Line Dry. Wax is applied by end user as desired. Can be melted into cloth with iron, hair dryer, or heat gun. (Or isobutane camping stove, as shown in their video.) Waiting for some trails to reopen so I can go out and get 'em all dirty. Will follow up with a report on results later. ---- edit 13:32 PDT email response from Fjallraven regarding garment care: "Fine to use nikwax. I like to use gentle cycle and hang dry, but you could use regular. Yes, washing will remove the wax. The whole point is that you can wax them for wind/waterproof protection then wash it out so it's more breathable. It won't clog up your washing machine as the wax will wash away with the water. The garment does have some wax infused in the fabric upon arrival. More wax=more water resistance Heat gun is the best way to do it, but you have to be careful because you can obviously hurt the garment." did I mention the people on the phone were super nice and helpful? I dealt directly with Fjallraven, not one of their online retailers. they have no retail distributors in this area. more information and videos on their website.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
cairn builder

cairn builder
PostWed Oct 16, 2013 4:19 pm 
Critter wrote:
Now that I have a new jacket, the Arc'teryx Alpha SV (2013-2014). I'd like to upgrade my rain pants to a pair that can stand up to extreme weather. Some people say Gore-Tex is a failure but my experiences have shown otherwise. I have the Arc'teryx Alpha SV jacket and I would really like to find some pants that I can use in severe weather. I'm not sure I need the same extreme protection and durability that the Alpha SV provides, so I'm willing to go a less expensive route.
Here's the same link if you have trouble viewing my video.
Which jacket did you get again? wink.gif

hikerbiker
mhlSilverdale

mhlSilverdale
PostFri Oct 25, 2013 8:20 am 
Good Video Marcus...

While some people seem preoccupied with the path, I've come to the conclusion I'm already there. It's just not perfect and it doesn't last an eternity... -author
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 24, 2022 9:10 am 
searching titles for "rain pants", this looks to have been the most active thread, and the one with the most recent post, so here we go: anybody heard of or tried this product line? Blaklader ? site says 60% cotton / 40% polyester ripstop fabric on the pants. wondering if they might be suitable. also wondering if it's possible to treat them with wax (like the Fjallravens) to make them water repellent. I've sent an inquiry to the company asking them that question. thought I'd run it by the group here and see if anybody's heard of or used it. BK

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Route Loser

Route Loser
PostTue Nov 15, 2022 7:30 pm 
Blaklader is pretty popular on construction sites these days. They seem to hold up at least as well, probably better than the various tactical pants (5.11 Tactical, etc) that enthusiasts of pockets are wearing for work. Maybe a notch below Fjallraven. I've found anything with at least 20% cotton takes the Greenland wax or Filson oil wax pretty well. Doesn't seem to take on full synthetics.

Ski