Forum Index > Trip Reports > East Crossing / Gold Creek, Dungeness (Olympic NF)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RodF

RodF
PostTue May 29, 2012 3:34 pm 
The "East Crossing way trail" (decommissioned FS2860 roadbed) has been cleared of a dozen windfall logs and hundreds of small alder, reopening it for hiking and mountain biking. (The few who've used it the last couple years know it had become badly overgrown with volunteer alder. We've now cleared a 6 to 8 foot wide trail corridor the entire 3.4 mile length.) The trailhead is on FS28, only 0.3 miles past the end of the paved Palo Alto Road, 7 miles from Hwy. 101, 3 miles east of Sequim. The first mile of trail descends gradually to Eddy Creek, site of the 1999 washout which led to the closure of the road. A short section of trail here, rebuilt by WTA several years ago, is steep (~20% grade) and can only be improved if USFS decides to denote this an official system trail. In another half mile, a fork leads into East Crossing camp, a beautiful hike-in camping area on the Dungeness River (site of an automobile campground decommissioned a decade ago). The trail then runs alongside the Dungeness River for a mile to the Gold Creek trailhead. It's just a short 0.3 miles uphill to the Lower Dungeness trailhead parking area. Using the East Crossing trailhead adds 6 miles to the 19-mile Lower Dungeness / Gold Creek trail loop, popular singletrack for hikers and mountain bikers. An updated description has been posted at Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance. USFS will be surveying this trail later this summer to make a decision on whether it might be denoted an official system trail. Please use it! If hikers and bikers would like to see this trail continue to exist and be improved, simply vote with your feet! The tread needs more use to become better established, and more likely to convince USFS that there's sufficient interest to make it worthy of being a system trail. The Lower Dungeness and Gold Creek trails have also been cleared of windfall. All area roads are open.
Dungeness River
Dungeness River
East Crossing camp
East Crossing camp
trail south of East Crossing
trail south of East Crossing
2001 USFS Map
2001 USFS Map

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NWtrax

NWtrax
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 9:41 pm 
TR - 1-10-14 Thanks for the tip on this hike Rod. I was just looking to get some exercise more than anything, turned out to be a fairly nice day to boot. Trail was clear to the ole E Crossing campsite, lovely spot.
Went and poked around both Gold Creek and Lower Dungeness trails. Took a little break near where they intersect by the bridge. Near certain I spotted a fisher working its way through the forest across the river. First time seeing one.
The initial portion of the L Dungy is a superb section of forest. Went as far as I cared to for the day and then dropped down stream side following game trails.
I came back and went out Gold Creek until the campsite. All portions of the trails in great shape. Rod's comments that the E Crossing portion needs more boots on the ground to become better established still remains true. Great winter leg stretch.
TH got a good cleanup at the end of the day.

meck

meck
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 11:29 pm 
Thanks for the update NWtrax, and the original TR RodF! That looks like some pleasant terrain to visit (the photos paint a great picture of what to look forward to). Based on the description it sounds like the TH should be fairly easy to access, but what's your guess/impression once snow starts accumulating in the Oly's? Is it still low enough that it might be accessible later in the winter? (I'm trying to put together my list of potential winter hikes..)

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
NWtrax

NWtrax
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 6:53 pm 
Hi meck - Yes I would think the TH would be accessible nearly year round. It's right there at the end of Palo Alto with no challenging terrain (driving) between.

reststep

reststep
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 10:03 pm 
Thanks NWtrax for bumping this report and thanks Rod for clearing the trail. Today I hiked into the old East Crossing Campground and up to the bridge from Forest Service Road 28. It looks like it is getting some use. It was a nice day to be out and it looks like there might be some good swimming holes in that stretch of river along side of the old road from the campground to the bridge. Also for some reason, which I don't know why, for a long time I have wanted to drive to that area by taking Woods Road and then Forest Service Road 2855 to where it intersects with Palo Alto Road. I finally did that today. I thought it was an interesting way to get there and the road is in good shape. Woods Road starts off of highway 101 just East of the Long House Market. Take Woods Road for about 3 miles and then turn right on to Forest Service Road 2855. Forest Service Road 2855 either is or becomes Johnny Come Lately Road and intersects with Palo Alto Road near the turnoff to the Forest Service Louella Cabin. Also in the same area someone has a ship's bollard in their yard. This would be on the left side of the road on the way in. Does anyone know the story behind it?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir