Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Small dams on wilderness lake outlets
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Sep 25, 2014 12:09 pm 
There's supposed to be one at Sunset lake in the wild sky, but I didn't notice it when I visited. The Square lake setup is similar to the Snow lake one, a big tunnel cut into the hill well below lake level.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostThu Sep 25, 2014 2:23 pm 
There is one below Sunset Lake. It is a bit below the lake and was apparently built for mining purposes. The first time I was in Sunset Lake, many years ago, I hiked in via the road that went past the Sunset mines. It is now long overgrown and is not the way to go into that area. The other times I have hiked into the lake have been different routes and have not seen the dam since my first time in. It's there you just have to follow the outlet down a bit.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Sep 29, 2014 10:55 am 
Ah, no wonder I didn't see it. I did poke around the outlet but right near the water, I didn't go downstream at all. I have fond memories of that lake even thought I spent a grand total of about 2 hours there. My partner in crime was having a tough go on this trip, when I said it was all XC I don't think he quite understood what this really meant, he was a new aquaintance who thought it all sounded so exciting, and he'd done a bit of on trail hiking. So by the time we got within striking range of Sunset, he was already shot. I had to content myself with a dash to the lake, yay here's the lake, some fishing, and then back out to Simms for the up n over.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
CHECKTHISOUT

CHECKTHISOUT
PostMon Oct 06, 2014 9:28 am 
Lots of different reasons. Usually it's left over from old mining operations that would divert the water for sluicing and to raise the lake level for rafting crap. The ones up in ALW are definitely not for irrigation. I suggest poking around the area for signs of old mining trails/adits/equipment and perhaps even get yourself an old claims map. There are lots of books on the old mines up in the cascades. They are neat as hell to find.

touron

touron
PostMon Oct 06, 2014 6:56 pm 
But as the OP puzzlr wondered, why does the Chair Peak Snow Lake appear to have a dam on it? The Middle Fork valley never runs out of water. Maybe the owner of the cabin wanted to raise the lake level so he could fish from his window like at the Edgewater? uhh.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
mgd

mgd
PostMon Oct 06, 2014 7:22 pm 
Touron, I think you are right. In fact the Beatles fished out of that cabin window one evening, and they wrote Hard Day's Night after catching nothing.

contour5

contour5
PostMon Oct 06, 2014 8:01 pm 
What a relief to finally solve the great mudshark controversy! The dam at Snow Lake, it seems, was actually part of an irrigation scheme, according to material found on the Alpental History pages.
Quote:
This trail was built in 1909-10 by H.A. Noble, probably to get to the private property up there, or in an attempt at irrigating the east slopes of the pass. The plan was to build a drainage all the way down the valley and east over the pass. You can still see a remnant of the drainage on the Pacific Crest Trail just north of the pass where it crosses the old logging road.

snoqpass

snoqpass
PostMon Oct 06, 2014 9:19 pm 
contour5 wrote:
What a relief to finally solve the great mudshark controversy! The dam at Snow Lake, it seems, was actually part of an irrigation scheme, according to material found on the Alpental History pages.
Quote:
This trail was built in 1909-10 by H.A. Noble, probably to get to the private property up there, or in an attempt at irrigating the east slopes of the pass. The plan was to build a drainage all the way down the valley and east over the pass. You can still see a remnant of the drainage on the Pacific Crest Trail just north of the pass where it crosses the old logging road.
Except Snow Lake drains into the Middle Fork, draining into the Alpental side would be a major feat of engineering

EonW

EonW
PostSun Oct 12, 2014 7:42 pm 
there is also remnants of a dam at libby lake, i am pretty sure it was created for irrigation reasons but i have not really looked into it, that is just what i was told.

pianodirt

pianodirt
PostTue Oct 19, 2021 10:44 am 
I seem to be the reviver of old threads today! I had no idea about the giant tunnel for Snow Lake in the Enchantments. I found some more resources, not sure if these been posted before: Brief pictorial history of the tunnel/dam in the Enchantments: https://www.fws.gov/leavenworthfisheriescomplex/LeavenworthNFH/AlpineLakes.cfm 2017 Environmental Assessment: https://usbr.gov/pn/programs/ea/wash/snowlake/snowlakedraftea2.pdf TBH, I've never ventured into the higher Enchantments beyond Asgaard Pass. Too many people for my taste. Anyone know if the proposed 15 helicopter flights in the above EA came to fruition?