Forum Index > Gear Talk > Kelty Cloud/Flight - Kelyt questions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Benjamin

Benjamin
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 8:16 pm 
Does anyone own or know someone who owns a Kelty Cloud backpack? I am tempted to sack up and get one, but for $600.00 if I did not like it I may become suicidal. Does anyone have any input that may save my life? How well would this pack carry 40-50 pounds? Are the numerous plastic clips durable enough for thrashing through webs of thick and tangling brush? The Kelty Flight can be obtained from Campmor for just over $100.00. I wonder what the extra $500.00 will get me in weight savings. If anyone can help, please respond.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 8:54 pm 
$600!!! For that price I'd hire a porter lol.gif paranoid.gif or rent a helicoptor

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 8:55 pm 
I've had good luck with Kelty gear, but don't know about the Cloud. Personally, not being a gear freak I'd buy the cheap one and spend the rest on other gear or a trip. I have a JanSport Alaska and it's the best pack I've ever owned. Overkill for a lot of folks, but I love the capacity and the price is right, under $200.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 9:16 pm 
You may want to check out the review over at thru-hiker.com. The other reviews I've seen are generally favorable too. Less than waterproof is one nit I've heard, in addition to some folks having problems getting the right fit. You may want to head over to REI and try one on for size before you buy. I also noticed that GI Joes stocks them in case REI is out. Not to rush your decision either, but I heard a rumor the Cloud has been discontinued. I was considering the Cloud (particularly because of the lightweight / modular capability) but decided the Mountainsmith Ghost would *force* me to go light.

Curt

Curt
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 9:42 pm 
I wrote a gear review of the Flight that has been pretty helpful for some people. You can find it at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group....iew.htm The difference in weights between the Cloud and the Flight is only 3 or 4 ounces and that's when it's totally rigged out, which you'll likely never have it. The Flight is modeled on the Cloud, so sizes and specs and features are IDENTICAL! The difference is in the pack fabric. The Cloud is 100% Spectra fabric - super tough, super light, and impossible to dye (that's why the pack is white). The Flight is nylon with Spectra fibers woven into it in a grid pattern (which is why it has white squares). There really is no reason to buy the Cloud unless you have money to burn. Many people will argue there's a durability difference, but you can buy 4 or 5 Flights for the price of one Cloud, so that's not much of an issue. I've had no problems with durability with my Flight, by the way. Hope this helps, -Curt

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 10, 2002 11:56 am 
Go to www.promountiansports.com Jim Nelson has one hanging on his wall that's used. Heck, maybe he'll let you try it out? Link

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln