Forum Index > Gear Talk > Overnight boot drying ??
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 7:12 pm 
Wadded up newspaper balls are my favorite boot drying method. Never thought about taking newspaper backpacking, but might be worth it for a shorter trip where there was a high probability your boots might get wet. I've also stuffed towels into boots to dry them. For backpacking one could try pack towels.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jared_j

jared_j
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 7:26 pm 
Serious answer: I just deal. As long as you're taking boots off at night you're unlikely to get trench foot. Taking any doodads in your pack (newspaper or battery operated dryers) sounds like more of a hassle than damp boots (to me) for the typical 1-2 night trip.

iron

iron
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 7:47 pm 
jared_j wrote:
Serious answer: I just deal. As long as you're taking boots off at night you're unlikely to get trench foot. Taking any doodads in your pack (newspaper or battery operated dryers) sounds like more of a hassle than damp boots (to me) for the typical 1-2 night trip.
i'm thinking in terms of something longer - like multiple weeks.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 7:49 pm 
I generally agree with the don't worry about it school of thought. I tend to think of my boots like a wet suit. They don't need to be dry for normal hiking. With a wool sock inside they keep me warm and comfortable even when wet. I carry an extra pair in case I have to stop moving. I know climbers like Uli Steck are starting to use battery heated boots on Everest so even in very difficult terrain some are finding it worthwhile to carry batteries for this purpose. I don't know how this effects dryness. Even if it's cold in Washington, my boots tend to get damp from the inside. Iron, are you looking for an in the field solution for comfort or safety reasons? I just read the multiple weeks specification. How did the polar explorers deal with dank clothing? That might be your answer.

iron

iron
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 9:00 pm 
i'm worried mostly about getting soaked one day, then having really wet boots for 2 more days during which blisters could develop and problems would linger.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 9:12 pm 
I would say the prudently used match is the best technology to dry boots on an exceptional basis while on a long trek. Build a fire with some kind of heat reflector to bake the boots at a moderately low temperature.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 10:08 pm 
iron wrote:
i'm worried mostly about getting soaked one day, then having really wet boots for 2 more days during which blisters could develop and problems would linger.
My standard creek-crossing method used to be to wear my boots across without socks, then put dry socks back on. Of course this soaked the boots, but it always worked fine; my dry socks and feet stayed dry enough in the wet boots until the boots dried. So unless your boots retain lots more water than my all-leather boots, I doubt that the wet boots would be a problem, as long as you have dry socks.

iron

iron
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 10:48 pm 
i'm thinking of a soaking more from rain and brush - endless brush.

trestle

trestle
PostSat Jan 03, 2015 9:31 am 
If wearing light weight shoes, is it possible to take two similar pairs and rotate them? Considering you're going to be out for multiple days and likely to carry some sort of camp shoe, why not just a second pair of ultra-light trail shoes? Just an attempt at a new thought. I also assume you've considered wearing plastic bags over your socks but that doesn't help the issue with boots drying over night. As noted, the key to drying is air flow so pop out the insoles, flex out the tongues so the opening is as large as possible, and if possible set them into the wind at your campsite during the evening and night. When you get up to pee in the early dawn, retrieve them to your sleeping bag to warm up for a bit. But I bet you know all this and have tried it. Best of luck and enjoy your trip.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Dante

Dante
PostSat Jan 03, 2015 11:45 am 
I used to be a crumpled newspaper guy, but now I own a Peet Boot Dryer. The heat is very low, and the unit is recommended by a lot of custom bootmakers like Russell Moccasin and White's Boots. It doesn't help on the trail, though... Faster drying time is also why I prefer un-lined leather boots. You can separate the insulation and water resistance functions by choosing the socks you need and treating the boots or using Gore-Tex socks.

tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Jan 03, 2015 3:31 pm 
Dante wrote:
I used to be a crumpled newspaper guy, but now I own a Peet Boot Dryer. The heat is very low, and the unit is recommended by a lot of custom bootmakers like Russell Moccasin and White's Boots. It doesn't help on the trail, though...
Dont think you'd want to carry that on a multiple week trip in the back country though.. Not to mention where would you plug it in.... huh.gif

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostSat Jan 03, 2015 5:12 pm 
Scrooge wrote:
my boots are still wet
Try running shoes.

Dante

Dante
PostSat Jan 03, 2015 5:13 pm 
tigermn wrote:
Dante wrote:
I used to be a crumpled newspaper guy, but now I own a Peet Boot Dryer. The heat is very low, and the unit is recommended by a lot of custom bootmakers like Russell Moccasin and White's Boots. It doesn't help on the trail, though...
Dont think you'd want to carry that on a multiple week trip in the back country though.. Not to mention where would you plug it in.... huh.gif
Scrooge's original post didn't say it had to be packable. I don't hike with sheets of newspaper, either wink.gif

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Feb 11, 2022 7:19 pm 
Not an endorsement. Just something new to me. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/mittnboot-dryer-inventor-1.6346274

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 11, 2022 8:12 pm 
Another endorsement for the Peet. Yeah it is slow and big but I never have it damage a boot

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn