Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Great fee-demo article
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 11:21 am 
MtnGoat, I just meant the article goes well beyone snowmobiles. I originally attempted to respond to your point, but then decided this isn't the place. Maybe at a social smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 11:28 am 
Hey Dante, enjoy your trip tomarrow. Remember, we head lamped it for a few hours to allow us to get there by 10am. You may want to do the same, if you're going to go beyond that point. If not I dont suppose its necessary. If you want to borrow some rafts, just ask. Remember, those lakes are RIPE for rafting. I see the writing on the wall. All of us (whether we are in it for profit or not) have vested interests above and beyond that which non participants do in certain activities. Those activities will be pushed in positive terms by us. I try and keep as open a mind about it as I can. I dont particularly like horses on the trail, but I don want them banned. Etc, etc ,etc.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 11:55 am 
Quote:
What exploitation has occured in wilderness areas that the NP's have prevented? Other then logging, what so with national forests too?
I make a distinction between Wilderness Areas and National Forests. I was comparing NPs to NFs. Sorry if there was confusion. The way I see it, the level of protection of the three from highest to lowest are Wilderness Areas, National Parks, National Forests. National Parks are mostly wilderness (~95% for MRNP), which ranks them well above the surrounding NFs. Logging is a considerable human impact and I don't see how NFs can compare to NPs for protection because of it. Wilderness Areas are a different beast. I still fail to see how NPs are lost because they are controlled by the government, as you say, and Wilderness Areas are not, since they are both controlled ultimately by the same entity. Particularly since the NPs are mostly wilderness anyway.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 4:51 pm 
The size and scope of the federal government has nothing to do with the number of people that work for it! That is a commonly misunderstood proposition. The TRUE definition, or understanding of a huge intrussive federal government is the number of, and or level of federal regulations that exsist and curtail/control your every day life! There are to many bloody rules and regulations, do's and dont's within the national park system! Big daddy watches over you too damn much for me inside the NP. You cant even walk the bloody wonderland trail without a ****ing permit! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 6:19 pm 
Ah, regulations. Now we get down to it. Thanks for the clarification. Isn't the permit required to camp on the Wonderland Trail, not just to hike? This also required for the Enchantments -- in the ALW -- right? I'll grant you there are more regulations on the parks, though. A more 'controlled wilderness', I suppose. Let me guess, it's the park's "no guns" rule at the heart of it all? wink.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 6:58 pm 
IIIIIIII DIDNT SAY THAT, OR BRING THAT UP! That's just one of the regulations that I dont like. Hey that guy that attacked the volunteer was ARMED! The law didnt diswade him, did it? It's lots of things. Dont get me wrong, its a beautiful area, I just avoid it because there are lots of gorgeous places around here with less regulations and less people. TB

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Sep 14, 2002 12:36 pm 
Warning, thread is drifting again. Permits, in Wilderness areas at least, help to promote the goal of the Wilderness Act, which goes to preserving the land as a sort of natural legacy. There is language in the Act about man being only a visitor there.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dante

Dante
PostSun Sep 15, 2002 8:54 am 
Given the level of enforcement of the Wilderness Permits, it's not much of an issue. Fill them out and hang them on your pack if you want to or don't. The Parks are a different story. Seems like I see Rangers every time I go to Mt. Ranier or the Olympics. The pass system is also another story--especially if we start to see more gating to make enforcement easier.