Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > to TR or not to TR?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 10:38 am 
I think it's time for our recurring discussion on TRs. When is it, in your mind, a good or bad idea to write/not write a TR? Me, I generally don't write a TR if I've visited a good place (generally a lake) that has a bootpath all the way to it, but not a system trail. If a place is in the system, I'll always write a TR unless the place is so often visited that it's not necessary. If it's off trail and of average quality, sure I'll TR it if I feel like it. An example might be the TR for North Star Creek Pots from last weekend. It's 100% off trail and not the most incredible place ever.....AND visiting that place got all of us thinking about the proposed Wild Sky Wilderness. So, you off-trail or non-system trail types, let's hear when you TR and when you don't, and what you see the potential outcome being. Some might say that TRs encourage traffic, which can lead to degradation, while others might argue that increased awareness can lead to green-bonding and better stewardship.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
solohiker

solohiker
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 11:12 am 
Me, I'm scared to death to TR here because I don't know for sure which places are considered sacred, and which are OK to TR. I tend to patronize locations that require minimum drive time, which means they are the very places that get people's dander up if the TH is advertised (particularly an "unofficial" TH). I'm happy to answer posted questions if I've been there recently enough, but I don't initiate a post. Don't wanna make trouble. smile.gif

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
solohiker

solohiker
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 11:32 am 
Pertinent to this discussion would also be the question of why you read a TR, as well as whether or not to write one. I read 'em when I'm pushing the season to find out current conditions and decide if the area's thawed out enough to go. Sometimes I read 'em if it's an area I'm thinking about visiting, and want to see if the author has revealed some helpful info that might save some time or just give me a heads up on what I could do to be more prepared. I read TRs by Randy and Mike Collins and the like just for the sheer pleasure of wishing I could be there with them. As far as I can tell, they don't give away any patented secrets but I sure love their reports. I understand both sides to the story of the TR or not to TR question. I don't fall strictly on one side or the other.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 11:41 am 
All my trips have at least some off-trail involved; however, unless I'm just lazy I always TR them. I may come across some pristine areas in my travels, but the focus of my reports is getting to a summit and that's where the detail goes to. I no longer concern myself with whether or not to mention a certain tarn or meadow out of fear it will get trampled. I'm getting too old to worry about such things. biggrin.gif

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 2:03 pm 
The only thing stopping me from a TR is my own laziness. I wouldn’t worry about taboo sites, just post and then let the admins delete them if needed. This is a great forum for conditions and trip reports because you can reply to authors and ask questions. I'd rather have too many reports than too few...regardless of where they are.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 2:32 pm 
Quote:
I wouldn’t worry about taboo sites, just post and then let the admins delete them if needed.
As a matter of policy we do not delete trip reports or sensitive information posted here, nor would it ever be considered. It is a judgement call, left to the personal discretion of the poster.

Trevor

Trevor
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 2:45 pm 
I think it would be helpful if we could compare the quality of recently established systematic areas with what they previously looked like to judge whether or not awareness is having a huge effect. Hopefully we will have enough tactful people watching the areas to battle off the middle fork lurkers when they got word.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 4:35 pm 
I only wont report a trip in the most special and specific reasons. If there is something at a location that would attract or draw people in I might not post a trip report about such a place. Or if some place is just way to beautiful I might not want increased activity there so I might not post a report. Mostly I post reports on 99% of the places I go.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 4:52 pm 
See, I think I'm right on about TRs sometimes, but I'm still feeling guilty about writing here, and in the magazine about the Phelps Creek High Route. On the other hand, how many people did we all attract, really? A dozen? I wish there was a way to see the results, or lack of.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 4:56 pm 
So, are folks posting TR involving sensitive areas? I usually hike for flowers anymore. I try not to step on things but it happens. On and off trail. When I post, I usually don't include directions. Otherwise, I just read what others post. I don't care if others think it's sensitive or not. All personal opinion I think. If it's secret, keep the secret. Make this a sticky so all will be reminded to use discretion when posting. We all ned to be reminded. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 7:27 pm 
marylou wrote:
See, I think I'm right on about TRs sometimes, but I'm still feeling guilty about writing here, and in the magazine about the Phelps Creek High Route. On the other hand, how many people did we all attract, really? A dozen? I wish there was a way to see the results, or lack of.
Well now, I sure as hell wont TR on WTA or some other popular place. No offense to our little site here, but we dont get the trffic that WTA (Id guess) or BackPacker mags site gets. You might as well buy a big greyhound buss and go get the people and hand carry them to your favorite site if you post on those places......

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
mgd

mgd
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 7:37 pm 
ninja.gif How many off-trailers visit the same place twice in five years? Probably not that many. ninja.gif How many on-trailers visit the same place twice in five years? Probably alot. ninja.gif How fast is the off-trailer hiking population growing? Beats me. ninja.gif How long will it be until Backpacker Joe fixes his avatar? 20 minutes I think. Those seem to be the questions that need to be answered. It would be a good poll for WTA to do. drink.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 8:01 pm 
What is wrong with my avatar? And if there is something wrong with my avatar, STOP SCREWING WITH MY AVATARS! Where's the avatar police when you need them?

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 8:12 pm 
I don't do off trail at all yet... not saying i'm too young to... just saying i'm not experienced enough and i'd rather not risk getting lost. Then there's also the point that my boyfriend would say no to off-trail adventures. heh. I'd have to go with someone else from here to do that. But of the hikes I have done that were off the beaten path... i've either been rather descrete about the location or scrambled the name of the place. No need for it to be googled. I think it's fun to go off the beaten path... altho the next hike of that sort that I go on probably won't be untill I get a truck and a license... my b/f wouldn't take me. heh.

Don

Don
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 8:35 pm 
Marylou, if I understand your concern correctly, a better question might be who comes here looking for condition reports and who comes here looking for ideas on what to do. I'm with solohiker, I generally have an area in mind while snooping reports and am simply looking for latest conditions.