Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > to TR or not to TR?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 6:45 pm 
At such time as the lying stops, I'm all buisness. I'm not bound to sit around and let this poster mistate my position when I carefully and purposefully decide just how to discuss an issue like this, and then this person says I think TR's are "evil". That's crap.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 6:48 pm 
it seems to me we had a pretty decent discussion going on until the lying started.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

PostSun Jun 05, 2005 7:01 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Where did I say it was bad? Again you are misquoting me and using your mistakes against me WHEN I DID NOT SAY WHAT YOU CLAIM. I challenge you to PROVE your claim.
You have in the past.
Quote:
you go right ahead and write all the reports you want, and don't let any pair of feet you generate from them, bother you one bit. It would bother me, but that's just me. There's no reason you can't enjoy a place without advertising it, IMO.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 7:17 pm 
And? bad said where? evil said where? PROVE the contention or withdraw it. You'll be hard pressed to do so for a reason..... I say what I mean, no more no less. I'll state it again for the thousandth time... what impacts you make are yours to own up to, how comfortable you feel with that is up to you. if it doesn't bother you, fine! I feel TR's have impact thus I consider carefully how much responsibility for impact I want. it's what I said many times here in this thread, it's what I said in the the previous thread presented here. If you are going to use what I posted to argue against me, at least lets do so verbatim.

PostSun Jun 05, 2005 7:29 pm 
Oh I see, when you wrote "you go right ahead and write all the reports you want, and don't let any pair of feet you generate from them, bother you one bit" you were encouraging everyone to write TRs. You weren't insinuating it was bad, you were insinuating that it was good. Gotcha!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 7:33 pm 
You can read whatever you like into it, I don't have any problem whatsoever with that. That's life. But don't claim I said what I never said. is that really so hard?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 7:34 pm 
eye charumba you guys really gotta get out more shakehead.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

PostSun Jun 05, 2005 7:36 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
eye charumba you guys really gotta get out more shakehead.gif
coming from a top five arguer. lol.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 7:39 pm 
good catch!

PostSun Jun 05, 2005 7:40 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
You can read whatever you like into it, I don't have any problem whatsoever with that. That's life.
I am not reading anything into it. This "you go right ahead and write all the reports you want, and don't let any pair of feet you generate from them, bother you one bit" speaks for itself.
Quote:
But don't claim I said what I never said. is that really so hard
Please explain how the quoted statement is a positive endorsement of TRing.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 7:44 pm 
mad.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods

PostSun Jun 05, 2005 7:48 pm 
marylou wrote:
mad.gif
You really should get out more. And when you do, please acknowledge every person you see, before, during, and after your hike n- unless it's me. I'm kind of shy and wouldn't know what to do if a girl said hi. clown.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 7:52 pm 
I was out all weekend while this thread was getting run into the ground by all the infighting. mad.gif What is going on? Is it a full moon or what?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods

PostSun Jun 05, 2005 8:02 pm 
marylou wrote:
I was out all weekend while this thread was getting run into the ground by all the infighting. mad.gif What is going on? Is it a full moon or what?
sorry, I don't talk to strangers.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 8:24 pm 
TR or not TR?
I found this site by doing a 'google' search on an obscure area within ONP. Had that report not been posted here, I would never have found the site. Maybe some people would prefer that. I can fully understand why one would be hesitant to publicly post a detailed "trail report" on a remote/back-country/off-trail destination, although personally I'd worry more about some neophyte getting lost than some "favorite secret place" getting trampled. As has been mentioned previously, I would doubt any particular "TR" here would result in thousands and thousands of web hits, or thousands and thousands of boots wantonly trampling all the flowers in some alpine meadow. I think it's a bit presumptuous to assume that anyone else's ethics might not necesarily be on a par level with your own. Not everyone leaves their garbage behind, destroys vegetation, or permanently scars the landscape. In those cases where people are doing the work to get to a really remote, off-trail area, one could just as easily assume they are quite concious of their impact on the landscape, and might make an effort to minimize it. Overall, I believe sharing information with others is a good thing. On the other hand, I think providing detailed information which might lead a novice off-trail ( and possibly to certain disaster ) imprudent. I've only written one "trail report" ( if you can call it that ), which is posted on a different site, and I was very deliberate about NOT including much information about the "off trail" area, for the reason I mentioned above. I was also very deliberate about making it possible for the reader to contact me directly should they wish additional information.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."