Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > to TR or not to TR?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 9:00 pm 
Ok, how about this. Since I already stated I sometimes do reports to places that I feel are already hit enough it won't make a difference, sluggos contentions do not apply to me since they are not accurate. I'll just leave it at that. With respect to not stating TR's are bad, I continue to maintain that I have never stated they are bad. I won't post them for areas off the maintained system, because increasing focussed traffic there isn't something I want on my plate. And in re-reading the prior thread I can see I was in fact arguing against a TR there, not because TR's are in and of themselves bad but because the impacts of them can be. Still, I resist the characterization that I was calling TR's bad, I never used that language. IMO It matters not *why* someone else is perusing the database, for weather, for other routes, specifically for that offtrail spot, if *my* report results in a visitation, anywhere from a first glimmer that this place is good, to following my directions there, that's mine too. Provably so since they cannot take cues from what I do not write, and if anything I write results in a visit, it was my writing and my choice to post it that aided the access. If they take info from someone else, so be it but that info is the responsibility of that writer. Saying what we do makes no difference because someone else might do it, or someone will go there anyway, is like saying littering is no big deal because someone else does it too. What YOU do is your responsibility, regardless of the actions of others. The problem here for me is not impact, but the nature of it. IMO the number of people that can be handled in drips and drabs at random is the same number than can do damage when concentrated in a short period of time. The trick is simply allowing the random dispersal to take place. It cracks me up to be seen on many threads as a despoiler of nature and rampaging industrial flunky or something and here I am arguing for dispersed impact via randomizing visitation and by golly, that's started a bit of a dealo. Let me make it clear one more time: I will not attack TR writers, i may present arguments designed to dissuade them in certain situations. We're all people of good conscience and this thread has value, so hopefully we can continue amiably.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 9:11 pm 
How about having a robots.txt file? Doesn't a file such as this allow the webmaster to pick and choose what search engines such as google can record?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 11:51 pm 
It just seems to me that you are attacking the lameness pinnacle if you are arguing about whether or not to post TR to a site that is mostly intend to post hiking info, having already banned political BS. I mean what is the point? mad.gif I pretty much do not post if been there done that. If we are afraid to post anything new we might as well either just shut it down or just shoot ourselves rant.gif This weekend my so and I did a 9 mi. trail run, my daughter did a 24 mi. MTN Bike ride my eldest did the SAT II and I had buds doing interesting climbs and you dweebs are arguing about whether to post TR's or not, give me a break huh.gif. Also saw interesting flicks, as the philosopher said, to do is to be.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 12:08 am 
can you see the ground from up there? tongue.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 11:33 am 
Blue Dome wrote:
Slugman, I sometimes wonder whether you take the time to read posts before responding, or just quickly glance at a post that opposes you and see that as an opportunity to free associate. There are so many glaring errors in your post I won’t take the time to itemize them. Let’s just take one, which nicely sums up your utter misinterpretation of my post:
Blue Dome wrote:
With 1500+ registered users
Slugman wrote:
There are nowhere near 1,500 active members of this board
At the bottom of the NWhikers homepage: “We have 1567 registered users”
Slugman wrote:
You have made the mistake of drinking mtn goat's poison kool-aid.
No I haven’t; MtnGoat is simply right regarding the fact most members read the trip reports without posting any trip reports.
This is a perfect example of your inability to process information and come up with an answer that makes any sense at all. The facts are as follows: I stated that there are not 1,500 potential trip-reporters because there are not 1,500 active members of this board, which I defined as people who post at least occasionally. I specifically excluded those who never post or maybe have posted only once or so. My check of the member list shows 679 members with only one post or zero posts. If someone never posts at all, they are not going to be posting trip reports. So your claim of "glaring errors" applies only to you. As far as Mtn Goat's "fact" that most members read trip reports without posting them, I offered excellent evidence that that is a total falsehood. Look at any non-responded-to trip report, it will have around 75 to 150 views. That is a tiny fraction of the total number of members or of the active members. So how can a total falsehood be a fact? Only when the person claiming such can't identify a fact when they see one. I also notice that you made no attempt to refute this assertion by me, maybe because it is irrefutable? Member list facts: 679 members have 1 post or zero posts, 816 have three or fewer, 1007 have five or fewer, 1,127 have ten or fewer.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 1:09 pm 
In the end not writing TR, if you do, for specific areas, is a forn of imposed censorship by those who believe they know what's best, not for them or a close circle of friends, but for the rest of the people outside that circle. This is misguided at best, those who are adventurous and have access to main stream as well as not so mainstream published references will find what they need and those places were found and explored by many before their time. Many of the best places require an effort uncommon for the majority of people who even hike and backpack and will not be overwhelmed. Nothing is Sacred, Nothing is Protected, Nothing is saved. The biggest threat is population growth, resource demand, and the trend of liking and wanting what has been fragmented and destroyed in most of America. My vote is "whatever". If you think it gives your life meaning and purpose do it. dizzy.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 2:35 pm 
It's "censorship" to choose not to write *personally* gained info? And deciding what is best given a persons own inclinations and beliefs is *inherent* to making value judgements. Here you are deciding what is best for someone else by deciding it's censorship to not post TR's.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 3:26 pm 
Individuals are free to make choices or not, and in the context of this thread, making a choice to do a TR, or the absence of a TR based on some belief of exclusivity that will preserve wild areas is censorship of information on a website where information sharing is one of the basis for it's existence. I respect your position and opinions and everyone will act towards there own inclinations. agree.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 3:34 pm 
Sluggo and Mtn Goat are always at eachothers throat. Watch it Sluggo, youre getting close to being not nice again!!! moon.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 3:53 pm 
Quote:
In the end not writing TR, if you do, for specific areas, is a forn of imposed censorship by those who believe they know what's best, not for them or a close circle of friends, but for the rest of the people outside that circle.
First of all, it's voluntary, so not imposed one bit. Second of all, what I'm seeing in a load of great posts on this subject, are people far more interested in being good stewards to our wild and special places (mostly lakes, as they get trammeled pretty quickly), so when people try to state their ideas here, if they are on the side of keeping things quiet, I think it's in the name of said stewardship. Most folks don't go back over and over anyway, so it's not for their own selves. And....the only way to get others to be good stewards is for people already practicing it to teach it to others. Sure, one can cynically say, "there are no wild places" or "it's all been done before" and in many respects that's true, but to throw one's hands up and say "it's all over, there's no hope" is to turn one's back on some of the wild and beautiful places that are still out there. Matter of fact, with glaciers receding rapidly at the moment and a lot of low-level geologic stuff going on lately, I'd disagree that there are no wild places, because heck, old Mother Nature is creating them practically right before our eyes.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 3:57 pm 
I can say that I've been two places in the ALW that showed ZERO signs of human life or activity. I can only imagine the places Yoda (Borank) and his fellow Jedi knights (Dan, Mike ((Mikes son)) have seen/been to. There is true wilderness out there, you just have to look for it.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 5:32 pm 
ML it's voluntary on your part, but that decision is then imposed on others. If it becomes chic among a group, it deprives others, who would not benefit from information. Also the world does change, but not for you, not for me. It changes because that's the nature of things. Before humans and after humans This is a beyond help thread. I will get where I need to go, so it's irrelevant for the driven. lol.gif I thank all the people whose TR, personal experiences, book and internet reference suggestions have benefited me. up.gif

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 5:35 pm 
Slugman wrote:
The facts are as follows: …
No, the facts are as follows: You posted a lengthy post that was thick with glaring errors and misinterpretations (your post was right before my previous post with the red text). I pointed out one of your many misinterpretations in that post as follows:
Blue Dome wrote:
You mistakenly called that number “nonsensical” and replied:
Slugman wrote:
At the time, the bottom of the NWhikers homepage displayed: “We have 1567 registered users” You then deleted your post that was thick with errors! And, now you’re trying to save face by posting some rambling explanation that is as silly as your initial post! lol.gif Did you think nobody would notice you deleting your post? Did you delete it because you reviewed it and found the glaring errors I referenced — and wanted to destroy the embarrassing evidence? When you’re ready to demonstrate some intellectual honesty and stand by your posts — and not delete them before making some nonsensical defense — let me know. Until then, your junior high school debate tactics are beyond transparent. smile.gif

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 6:32 pm 
Blue Dome wrote:
Blue Dome wrote:
You, mistakenly, called that number “nonsensical” and replied:
Slugman wrote:
At the time, the bottom of the NWhikers homepage displayed: “We have 1567 registered users”
The both of you are right. We have 1,500+ registered users. We have nowhere near 1,500 active members [on] this board. I wonder if very many potential active members remain inactive cuz of pissing matches like this'n.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 6:42 pm 
Back to the topic.
wildernessed wrote:
The biggest threat is population growth, resource demand…
Yes. Population growth is the primary culprit. The number of visits to more and more backcountry destinations won’t be affected by NWhikers trip reports. The numbers are too small. Posting a trip report will likely just help somebody who has already decided on that destination — and that's a good thing.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman