Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > registering site with search engines
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catwoman

catwoman
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 8:43 pm 
Ok all you web site owners! Now that I've finally gotten my website up and online (though, I figure I'll be changing it as I learn more about what I want on there)..... I find it hard to believe that everyone pays money to have their site(s) registered with browsers. For instance, I cannot find a free way to get on Yahoo! I've found a place that does a few for free, google being one of them. And also, if you use Internet Explorer, then where do you go to register for that? In other words..... do any of you have any good hints or advice for me?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
catwoman

catwoman
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 9:09 pm 
Oh, and one more thing..... I want to get fancy and make my page links (ie. home, contact, etc.) glow or something when a curser goes over it. Can any of you help me with that?

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 9:19 pm 
To get registered on Yahoo, browse to the category you want the site to be in, the scroll all the way to the bottom to the miniscule "Suggest A Site" link, then follow the instructions. But be warned, it can take a looooong time to actually show up. It took me 3 tries and 5 months to get my photo site finally added. No idea on the glowing links...

catwoman

catwoman
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 9:36 pm 
yahoo for free? I keep running into a page that asks for money!

mb

mb
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 10:42 pm 
crawling
You will eventually get your site crawled to if you submit it to servers. Google thinks your site is more important if more people link to it, so get all your friends to put links on their sites, and do the same for them. (In this case, do the shows you photograph have web sites? Add a link to them and ask they do the same for you.) MSN direct submissions, after a little digging, is at http://submitit.bcentral.com/msnsubmit.htm . Also consider having text on your front page instead of pictures. Search engines mostly search for the text itself. You can always just add some descriptive text at the bottom of the first page. To find out if a web crawler has looked at your site, check out your web site logs. look for clients with words like bot or crawler or spider as part of their name. once your site has been crawled, it can still take a few months to show up. If you want hover effects, there are a few things. You can use jscript to swap images. Or you can use the a.hover style. Search for hover on google to find out more. For example, if you change the background color of your buttons to transparent (instead of black), and add <STYLE TYPE="text/css"> <!-- A:hover { background-color:red; } --> </STYLE> to the top of your page, you'll get a red background effect.

Jill
Got Rock?

Jill
Got Rock?
PostSat Sep 14, 2002 2:56 pm 
Try this site for picture effects - http://www.anfyteam.com/panjava.html

"Security is mostly a superstition. <snip> Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." Helen Keller