Forum Index > Gear Talk > Hydration systems
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
"Cheeps" Kate

"Cheeps" Kate
PostFri May 17, 2002 11:10 am 
My aversion to those water containers is cost. Wow, pay that much just for a container? How about a $1 pop bottle (even comes with soda)?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster

PostFri May 17, 2002 11:38 am 
What is the opposite of aversion? Predeliction? I think so. My predilection is for highly functional equipment. If you are the kind of traveler that likes to keep moving - hydration systems are the only way to fly. Mcaver, the ice cubes go in the bag at home the morning of. Keeps the water cool most of the day even in warm weather.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
janders

janders
PostMon May 20, 2002 1:03 pm 
mcaver wrote:
Where are you people getting ice cubes in the wilderness?? cool.gif
Ice cube trees! Tough to find in these parts but a god-send come July/August... wink.gif

"Oh dang!" - Captain Amazing
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Oct 11, 2002 1:50 pm 
Does anybody know how much these things weigh? They now look like the best alternative to the Blackburn sacks which I believe are discontinued. Can anybody find the weight on these things? I have tried but failed! http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/10538/UTI/photo/

Art is an adventure.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Oct 11, 2002 2:09 pm 
2 liter bag weighs about 2kg = 4.4 lbs. full

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Packpup

Packpup
PostSat Oct 12, 2002 10:47 am 
I'm surprised to hear of the Platypus Biz zip failing. We use ours year round and I haven't had one leak yet unless I didn't double check the seal by turning it upside down. I don't even have a special holder in my pack to keep it secure either, I just stuff it in my pack next to my back. The only reason I like the zip feature is it does clean and dry out quicker. We use filtered water and clean it after every hike since I really hate any hint of a funky taste or smell in my water.

Sand

Sand
PostSat Oct 12, 2002 6:21 pm 
Plastic taste
Hydration systems like platypus make the water taste plasticky. Yuk. Any known remedy?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Oct 12, 2002 8:04 pm 
I've never noticed any plastic taste added by my platypus. Perhaps you've used and older version? Also, my zip has yet to leak after 2 years of use.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Oct 12, 2002 8:46 pm 
I have the zip top kind too. Seems that it's kinda hard to get the zipper thing to shut right, I have to inch along closing it rather than zipping it shut like a Ziplock. It's nice to be able to get it dry in there when you get back to avoid mold. Even clean filtered water can make mold. I think if I had the kind that doesn't have the zip top I would run a little diluted bleach water through it after a trip, and then maybe try and gently dry it with a hair dryer. I know it sounds like a humungous hassle but the extra effort is worth it when it comes to gear maintenance....usually. biggrin.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSat Oct 12, 2002 10:54 pm 
Functionally I thought my Camleback was fine. I axed it though in favor of a 32 oz. gatorade bottle. Just to heavy for my tastes and when filled with 70 oz. of water it was more or less a brick in my pack. Generally enough water on my trips that I don't need all that capacity whether I choose to use it all or not. Easy enough to take a 1 minute pit stop to fill up my bottle when needed.

Packpup

Packpup
PostSat Oct 19, 2002 7:42 pm 
We are frequently where little or no water is available so I carry three liters typically. Waters one thing I won't take a chance on running low on having experienced severe dehydration early on when I started hiking. I usually go through all of it on a day hike. We had to use iodine tablets when our filter broke on a six day trip and I can still taste the stuff in one of my bottles after the normal cleaning. Does anyone know how to get rid of the taste? huh.gif

reststep

reststep
PostMon Oct 21, 2002 3:59 pm 
Between hikes I keep the tubes for my platypus and filter in the freezer and that seems to keep crud from growing in them. I also keep the filter in the freezer between hikes. I often put gaterade in my platypus and always wash and dry it when I get back but am still getting a little mold up near the cap and near the bottom. Maybe I will try sloshing some bleach around in there to get rid of the mold. Has anyone tried this? I have never noticed any strange tastes or odors with the platypus. Now with the nalgene polyethylene bottles they would pick up all kinds of odors and tastes. I think the platypuses are a big improvement. That is all I take on overnight trips now.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostThu Oct 31, 2002 12:29 pm 
Hey Packpup, In order to neutralize the iodine taste, you merely need to add good old vitamin C. Outdoor stores market small vitamin C pills to counteract the small iodine pills- just be sure that you wash out the vitamin C before you refill the container and intend to drop in the iodine pill as the the residual vitamin C will reduce the killing power of the iodine. Smart shoppers merely add their own vitamin C rather than pay extra for the small backpacking size. Iodine tablets are cool ! Small, fit in your pocket and for those with delicate palettes, use a pinch of home vita C. DROCK

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 31, 2002 12:44 pm 
Getting off topic here but a serious drawback to iodine is that it does not kill crypto. shakehead.gif

Mongo66

Mongo66
PostThu Oct 31, 2002 5:59 pm 
hydration systems
I mean really.. aren't hydration systems a little silly?