Forum Index > Food & Grub > Nature/energy bars...fair or foul?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Are nature/energy bars in general, good or foul tasting
Yum Yum, they are great! Can't get enough of them
23%
 23%  [ 8 ]
On average, they are bad. I could bake better without even measuring ingrediants
73%
 73%  [ 25 ]
I have Grape Nuts for breakfast. Don't need anything else.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 34

Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostThu Jun 16, 2005 2:46 pm 
All " energy bars" are ok, I guess? uhh.gif I have tried most brands, luna,cliff, mojo,harvest and after about 10 of each I can't take anymore hurl.gif then I move on to the next brand. The Tiger milk bar is chock full o' vitamins and when you bite into it, it bites back! and I think they are made with carob ( terrible stuff, like the diet pop of chocolate) Once I stop being so lazy I would like to experiment making my own, out of a bagel recipe, then add things like nuts, dried fruit, flax seed..... stuff of that nature. chow.gif

Ebrace life!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 16, 2005 3:24 pm 
Dante wrote:
Backpacker Joe loves PowerBars - that's all he took for food on one trip.
I am not receiving fair and or accurate representation. DANTE and I brought power bars as our only food one 5 day trip! If you ever really want to loose 20 pounds, just copy that. You'll stop eating after your first day!!!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostThu Jun 16, 2005 3:32 pm 
I can hardly imagine the joy of a delicious power bar for dinner day after day of hiking. Impressive feat of human endurance, from the both of you. Might even be record book worthy.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 16, 2005 3:40 pm 
whistlingmarmot wrote:
I can hardly imagine the joy of a delicious power bar for dinner day after day of hiking. Impressive feat of human endurance, from the both of you. Might even be record book worthy.
And lunch, and dinner!!! Day after day after day.....

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dante

Dante
PostThu Jun 16, 2005 3:57 pm 
We had some energy drink BPJ likes, too. Also, we didn't have to cary any stove, fuel, cooking stuff, etc. It wasn't that bad wink.gif

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostThu Jun 16, 2005 4:36 pm 
Dante wrote:
We had some energy drink BPJ likes, too. Also, we didn't have to cary any stove, fuel, cooking stuff, etc. It wasn't that bad wink.gif
sounds like my first overnighter...as the delicious meal the neighbors were cooking was making me eye bambi , who was wandering around our camp ,like a steak on the grill. We were so hungry the next day..we hiked out to go eat some greasy hot mexican food.

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
jennmonkey
chupacabra

jennmonkey
chupacabra
PostThu Jun 16, 2005 5:23 pm 
I hate most of them (especially power bars-gross), but I must say that I LOVE Clif bars, especially peanut butter. I think they are delish! tongue.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jun 16, 2005 7:02 pm 
Quote:
If you ever really want to loose 20 pounds, just copy that. You'll stop eating after your first day!!!
lol.gif Sometimes I bring snack bars for my emergency food, because there is no chance I'll want to eat them except in case of emergency. whaambulance.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Jun 16, 2005 8:30 pm 
It's not a matter of like when it comes to energy bars and gel, the bars provide a short, intermediate, and long term carbohydrate supply to your body which breaks carbon and hydrogen bonds and derives heat the bodies energy source which drives chemical reactions. It also provides some essential vitamins, minerals, and importantly electrolytes. Gel or stuff like GU, Shots etc... provide simple carbohydrates for near a immediate energy source for your body. I eat the bars, some taste better than others for there benefit, your right some taste nasty but I need organic matter, after a few your tired of them, the gel on the other hand I don't mind, especially for it's quick action when your heading up a steep trail / route. No matter what anyones opinion is, and to each there own, you need to be in shape and I like trail mix and other energy sources, the bars and gel work. It's all about being physically conditioned, adequately hydrated, having an energy supply, and keeping your oxygen debt below a certain level through various means (pacing, resting etc...). Cheating, no using the tools available to you, absolutely. up.gif hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
mgd

mgd
PostFri Jun 17, 2005 9:41 pm 
For me it's all about the scenery and good taste. Give me a glacier calving into an alpine lake. Then give me a couple peanut butter or chocolate chip cookies. Don't give me a nature bar....I can catch up on the few vitamins I missed when I get back to town. up.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Jun 17, 2005 10:35 pm 
I like a small can of fruit with breakfast, delicious but HEAVY. dizzy.gif Any chance one of those gel bars would work as a substitute? Any more suggestions for bars you actually like. I've started "testing", but so far I've never even managed to finish one. shakehead.gif What about trying half a BPJ and Dante, bars for breakfast and lunch, but then a real dinner? Also, are there any good, one cup powdered drinks (particularly fruit juice)? I do need to lose weight ....... pack weight! humpy.gif David

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostFri Jun 17, 2005 11:54 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
It's not a matter of like when it comes to energy bars and gel, the bars provide a short, intermediate, and long term carbohydrate supply to your body… It also provides some essential vitamins, minerals, and importantly electrolytes…
Yeah. It’s about a fair quality energy source, portability and convenience. I’m not looking so much for good taste on the trail, although it's nice; I need something that supplies the carbs and other good stuff. Eating a Clif bar is better than eating a Snickers.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas
PostSat Jun 18, 2005 10:33 am 
Quote:
Eating a Clif bar is better than eating a Snickers.
I couldn't accept Blue's statement on the surface, so I did some research though I had the gut feeling that something which tasted so bad had to be better for you. hmmm.gif Cliff Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch
Snickers nutrition Now back to eating my spinach chow.gif

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSat Jun 18, 2005 11:43 am 
mgd, Good idea with the comparison. Though, I don’t buy the Clif Bar you posted — my favorite is the Chocolate Almond Fudge, which has a slightly different list of nutrition facts: http://www.clifbar.com/eat/eat.cfm?location=bar&id=70
Here’s the Snickers: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s047p.html
Quote:
Snickers Bar ingredients: Milk Chocolate (Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Chocolate, Lactose, Skim Milk, Milkfat, Soy Lecithin, Artificial Flavor), Peanuts, Corn Syrup, Sugar, Skim Milk, Butter, Milk Fat, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Lactose, Salt, Egg Whites, Artificial Flavor.
My main concerns with the Snickers Bar and other similar candy is their hydrogenated oil/saturated fat content, their artificial flavors, and the fact they’re devoid of any vitamins and minerals. Clif Bars contain at the minimum 70% organic components, which I think is a good thing for people and the environment. All Clif Bars have 100% of the RDA of vitamins C and E, a good amount of other vitamins and minerals, and their particular mix of carbs, protein and fat make for a relatively sustained source of energy. As their Web site says:
Quote:
Basically, you'll benefit from a steady increase in blood sugar levels followed by a gradual decline (sustained energy!). Know what that means? You keep going. Eat a CLIF BAR 1 – 2 hours before a workout or race, and you’ll avoid the sugar high and crash associated with refined ingredients and sweeteners. A CLIF BAR delivers the boost you need without unwanted crash and burn.
Of course, some folks scoff at such info — but given the choice, I want to eat something that has no hydrogenated oil, no artificial flavors and a good dose of vitamins and minerals. And that means choosing a Clif Bar over a Snickers Bar. smile.gif

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
mgd

mgd
PostWed Jun 22, 2005 9:10 pm 
I would usually just bring an mgd instead of a Cliff Bar, but now I'm thinking of bringing a small flask of Chantico. Look at this! Enough to fuel a trip up through the worst of devil's club and slide alder. Fat, Calcium, Carbs, Iron, Protein...chocolate must be one of the most perfect foods. Calories 390 Fat Calories 190 Total Fat (g) 21 Saturated Fat (g) 10 Cholesterol (mg) 25 Sodium (mg) 105 Total Carbohydrates (g) 51 Fiber (g) 6 Sugars (g) 40 Protein (g) 11 Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 25% Iron 30% coffee.gif