Forum Index > Food & Grub > Freeze-dried entrees and side dishes?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
coastalcutt
O. clarki clarki

coastalcutt
O. clarki clarki
PostFri Jun 17, 2005 9:21 am 
I intend to bring along several bags as backups on a 4-day canoe trip on Murtle Lake week after next. But I'm a bit bewildered by the number of brands and different flavors. I've heard reports about some brands or individual dishes tasting like drywall or foam packaging peanuts. At about $7 a bag I'd prefer not to play roulette so I thought I'd see if there any concensus favorites on this board. FWIW, I'm an omnivore with an adventurous palette, very few dislikes (other than drywall or foam peanuts) and prefer adult-sized portions. TIA, CC

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
marcoramius

marcoramius
PostFri Jun 17, 2005 1:49 pm 
You can't really go wrong with the mountain house entrees. I have had quite a few of them and have enjoyed them all. A friend of mine said that the chicken polynesia wasn't so great, but that has been the only negative comment that I can give you.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Jun 17, 2005 1:58 pm 
Ditto the recommendation for Mountain House. My faves are the Polynesian Chicken with Rice, Lasagna (!!!), and Spaghetti w/ meat sauce...just bring along parmesan packets from Pizza Hut to liven up the spaghetti.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jun 17, 2005 2:11 pm 
I don't like the MH. Generally men prefer the MH and women prefer Backpacker's Pantry, and I'm no exception. BPP Kathmandu Curry is a nice one. I am going to look into the future now, when Hiker Boy will say that he likes Enertia, especially my two favorites, the Mac and Cheese and the Goulash. Both are made even better by the addition of dried/reconstituted ground beef. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostFri Jun 17, 2005 2:24 pm 
I'm not fond of either Mountain House or Backpackers Pantry. If I'm going that route, I prefer Enertia Foods meals, especially their Moosilauke Goulash or the Max Patch Mac & Cheese.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Jun 17, 2005 4:22 pm 
Just, whatever you do, avoid Alpine Aire like the plague. Especially the honey lime chicken - just plain nasty!

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Jun 17, 2005 5:52 pm 
Mountain House: the Seafood Chowder is excellent. up.gif up.gif I couldn't quite finish the two person portion by myself. shakehead.gif I also like the Chili-Mac, but I think I'm in left field on that one. agree.gif The Lasagne was disappointing. frown.gif David

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
oosik

oosik
PostFri Jun 17, 2005 6:56 pm 
Backpacker's Pantry has some tasty dishes. They have two price point lines, but the upper line is where they put the spices. One of the few brands I've seen with Phad Thai. They also have a few featuring smoked salmon as one of the components.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Jun 17, 2005 7:10 pm 
Weeellll, now, I like Alpine Aire honey lime chicken. When I buy dehy food, I usally choose one o' those. don't eat enough of the stuff to have developed a lot of know-it-allism about it; I don't even know enough to make anything up about it. But I do know that I like the Enertia brand; specially that goulash stuff Hiker Boy mentioned is really good. I find that any of that stuff, if eaten for more than 3 evenings, it all tastes alike and it doesn't matter what it is. I take this stuff for trips on the Torokian scale of difficulty due to low weight, low bulk, and the fact that after a hard day I'm glad to have anything. But I don't take it on normal trips.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 17, 2005 7:29 pm 
Don't use FD much especially on Murtle Lake where there is a near infinite supply of Protein close at hand, just bring bread or cracker crumbs. Good idea to bring some rice or ramen too. Only problem is this time of the year dusk is about 11pm. That being said you can make a pretty good Omelet with the BPP stuff or if you are cheap just get the freeze dried eggs and follow the recipe on the package. I have had vile selections on all brands but usually you can spice em up a bit. Iff all else fails landjeager with kim chee ramen does the trick.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Jun 17, 2005 10:54 pm 
Quote:
Weeellll, now, I like Alpine Aire honey lime chicken. When I buy dehy food, I usally choose one o' those.
That just proves that you have no taste. tongue.gif

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Aztec

Aztec
PostSat Jun 18, 2005 12:33 am 
The best Mountain House entree has to be the Pasta Primavera, I couldn't believe how crisp and fresh the veggies turned out. as for some of the other flavors, Chicken & Rice tasted great and the Granola w/Blueberries & Milk, all I can say is wow!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSat Jun 18, 2005 12:51 am 
I really like the "Mountain House Wild Rice and Mushroom Pilaf for Two". Adding chicken makes it a whole meal.

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostSat Jun 18, 2005 2:03 am 
i forgot to mention the mountan house chicken breasts with mashed potatoes is really good as well. it's one of the more expensive ones, but worth it.

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostSat Jun 18, 2005 8:35 am 
Aztec wrote:
The best Mountain House entree has to be the Pasta Primavera, I couldn't believe how crisp and fresh the veggies turned out. as for some of the other flavors,
add some tuna to that and you really have a great meal! another one of my faves is strogonoff.

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley