Forum Index > Gear Talk > Local GPS waypoint database
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Would you be interested in using a local GPS waypoint database?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 8 ]
No
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
I'm confused
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Sep 19, 2002 7:34 am 
Are you talking about waypoints for specific things such as airplane crash sites or trails that would not be on any ordinary gps map program? As it is right now I have two map programs (which would be worthless in New Zealand) that I get my waypoints off of and don't need a database to draw from for normal trails.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostThu Sep 19, 2002 7:52 am 
Do you have a WAAS capable unit, Steve. I'm just beginning my GPS research (not an early adopter) and remember reading that you can not turn off the WAAS/EGNOS capability on some units, which can cause problems in some places (they gave Australia as an example). I'd be interested in some datum (e.g. places to jump off the trail for cross country routes) but not others (e.g. crash sites, cabins, etc.)

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 1:21 pm 
I have the Magellan Meridian. It has WAAS capability but I'm not sure if it can be turned off or not. What kind of problems are you referring to around Australia and WAAS?

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Dante

Dante
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 2:07 pm 
Sorry I can't be much more specific. It was something I saw over at www.joe.mehaffey.com but I didn't focus on it because it did not apply to me. I think some WAAS/EGNOS receivers keep lookig for the WAAS/EGNOS sattelites even if they can not see them because you are on the wrong part of the planet.

tk-421
Dead Weight

tk-421
Dead Weight
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 2:10 pm 
WAAS and Oz
Jack Yeazel wrote:
This will be a problem for users far outside the WAAS and EGNOS correction areas. For example, users in Australia have reported significant position errors introduced by receiving the POR satellite's WAAS corrections. For those that MUST deactivate WAAS, perform the following keystrokes (not approved by Magellan and may lock up the receiver): MENU, Right, Left, Right, Left. A "00" box appears. Rocker up to "03", Enter. Another Enter will deactivate WAAS. Esc, Esc, and then power off. (This is important; other keystrokes may lock up the unit). To turn WAAS back ON, rocker back up to "03" and press Enter.
This is from Joe Mehaffey and Jack Yeazel's GPS Information Website, specifically in the Magellan SporTrak Pro section. It boils down to the fact that WAAS-enablement can be problematic and result in less-than-accurate readings in non-WAAS served areas.

reststep

reststep
PostThu Sep 26, 2002 7:03 am 
There is a book out titled "GPS Waypoints: washington" by Michael Ferguson. The publisher is Glassford Publishing Boise, Idaho. It has saved me a lot of time from figuring out waypoints from maps. Of course though the topo program gives the way points by moving the curser over the point. The advantage of figuring them out from a regular map is that then you know how to do it.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
tk-421
Dead Weight

tk-421
Dead Weight
PostThu Sep 26, 2002 7:46 am 
wooly wrote:
The advantage of figuring them out from a regular map is that then you know how to do it.
...and when the map itself is 100' off? Or what about that large creek that you're standing in and is nowhere on the map? Or the road "that should be here"? (and I think everyone is aware of the fact that 100% reliance on any single tool isn't a good idea and that one should know how to do things "the old way" as well) Maps are fun, maps are useful, maps and map skills are indispensable, but maps are static and sometimes wrong. I put more faith in "I was there, this is what I saw" than "Last Revision: 1969, USGS".

Dante

Dante
PostThu Sep 26, 2002 8:22 am 
tk-421 wrote:
(and I think everyone is aware of the fact that 100% reliance on any single tool isn't a good idea and that one should know how to do things "the old way" as well)
I agree. I was astounded when I read the naval Academy "shelved the sextant". Fortunately, there was such an outcry from practicing navigators and traditionalists that the Academy had to reinstate celestial navigation instruction. See http://www.wonderquest.com/sextant.htm (scroll to bottom of page).

tk-421
Dead Weight

tk-421
Dead Weight
PostThu Sep 26, 2002 8:48 am 
Dante wrote:
the Academy had to reinstate celestial navigation instruction.
Especially when you consider that all other forms of navigation are electronic-based. Military systems are hardened against EMP (electromagnetic pulse from a nuclear detonation, not Experience Music Project) and I'm certain someone thought of that when they did away with celestial nav training, but still... (remember "On The Beach"?) A while back I saw a clip showing 6-7 Navy-types on the flight deck of a carrier being instructed how to use a sextant, et al. If I was the captain, I'd want it, too.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Sep 26, 2002 1:52 pm 
Although I usually am an advocate of GPS and electronic navigation, it seems unwise for the navy to discontinue sextant instructions. The military equipment is hardened against EMP but the satellites and ground facilities are not and cannot be. The signals are vulnerable to jamming and or spoofing. I have a background in electronic warfare and know has easily this can be done.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
beefchub

beefchub
PostTue Oct 15, 2002 9:47 pm 
this sounds like an interesting resource. my vote would be for using UTM coordinates, becuase, well, its just so much better than WGS. think metric! WAAS is on most handheld recievers these days, but I question the worthiness of the technology. the calculations really tax your battery life, and for me, its just not worth it.... besides, GPS should always be considered a second to map and compass, especially when hiking in areas with thick foiliage. -beefchub