Forum Index > Food & Grub > Why didn't my dehydrated chicken re-hydrate?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 10:53 am 
Here's what I did: marinated chicken, then cooked it. Threw it on the dehydrator, dehydrated it. (overnight). After an hour soaking in water to re-dydrate it, the chicken was still mostly hard. I boiled water and threw the chicken pieces in, then let it sit about 10 minutes, typical for making grub in the backcountry. It was still hard. Did I do something wrong? Does length of time on dehydrator affect re-hydration or maybe the temp was too high?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 11:01 am 
You're a hard chick Quarky, seems like the chicken was looking up to you! Ha ha ha. hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 11:11 am 
Ya don't rehydrate a rubber chicken, Quark. Everybody knows that. Next time instead of Archie McPhee, get your chicken at Safeway.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 11:19 am 
O so now all the sudden everybody's a comedian, while I'm in an agitated state, desparately trying to re-hydrate chunks of chicken so I don't starve to death in the wild. I hate it when I starve to death in the wild.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 11:23 am 
Please dont starve to death in the wild!!! Seems like some "Columbo" detective action is in line here. Start experimenting at home and reduce the variables until you finger it out. Good luck chick-a-dee.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 11:38 am 
You must have overcooked the chicken. Have you ever tried to rehydrate jerky? It aint going to happen.

Art is an adventure.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 11:46 am 
Home dried chicken just isn't worth the time......buy canned or pouched-for me it is very worth the weight.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 12:13 pm 
That is why they invented freeze dried, if it is hot enough to dry it before it rots it denatures the protein making it into chicken jerky which will get slimy but not much else.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 12:33 pm 
Huh. whaddaya know. Stef, I was wondering if it had turned into jerky and therefore not possible to re-hydrate. So it sounds like it isn't worth the effort for chicken. I do not like freeze-dried chicken - it has a certain whang about it's flavor. It doesn't even taste like chicken. It's sorta, "bleeech! Ahhhgggccck! Ptooey!" I'll pretty much eat anything, especially in the backcountry, even oatmeal that had been soaking in a pool of white gas the week before*, but freeze-dried chicken....yuck! If you're unsure where I stand on this issue, PM me, and I'll be glad to clarify it. *sorry, that's for the breakfast thread. I don't recommend it, unless the alternative is freeze-dried chicken.

Damian

Damian
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 1:27 pm 
That's the saddest story I've ever heard. You're breaking my heart Quark. I wish you strength and perserverence as you move on with your life.

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 1:42 pm 
actually, the new mountain house chicken and potatoes freeze-dry doesn't have that canned chicken taste like most freeze-dries. i tried one last month and expected the worst, but i was shocked at how good it really was. the meat and taters aren't mixed in the package so you could use the chicken in a recipe if you wanted to.. it wold be nice if they sold that chicken seperately (it's not the same as the bulk chicken in the #10 cans that they also sell..) chicken doesn't dehyrate/rehydrate very well at all.. if you cook it in a crock pot until it turns into shreds (about 8-10 hours on low), then dry it, it rehydrates better but still remains a bit chewy.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 1:43 pm 
Damian wrote:
That's the saddest story I've ever heard. You're breaking my heart Quark. I wish you strength and perserverence as you move on with your life.
I have a sadder story: I now live across from a larger apartment I once shared with my ex-roomate, Brian, when he was an architect student. For a project, he made this really neat mailbox stand. It was very artsy. Now someone else lives there, someone who doesn't know Brian and how he made the mailbox stand and was so proud of it. The other day, the nieghbors were tossing a football around, and someone playing ball crashed against the mailbox stand, and it broke. Now all that's left is the metal mailbox, and it's dangling from the decorative wires Brian so lovingly strung on the wood frame that cold, rainy day in January. It's sad, seeing that broken mailbox stand. Sadder still, last night, when in the wind, I could hear the low "clunk, clunk, clunk" of the mailbox, dangling on it's wire, bumping against the broken wood frame of the stand. I'm over the chicken now. I'll go back to dehydrating mangos and red bell pepper and orange slices and ground beef.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 1:45 pm 
OK, Marzit, so I guess since in general it's not a good candidate for dehydration in the first place, I won't try it again.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 5:17 pm 
I've had good luck with de and rehydrating chicken sausage, but it does take longer than ground beef. I usually add water to the chicken baggie at lunch time and tuck it into the handy pringles container so nothing punctures the baggie. Then at dinner time a 10 minute soak in boiling water is all it needs.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 5:23 pm 
Landsjeager (HC) rehydrates prettly well if you boil it a bit. biggrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn