Forum Index > Trip Reports > Corteo 7/24/05
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Edd

Edd
PostMon Jul 25, 2005 8:50 pm 
After being on a rope three out of the last four weekends I needed to stretch my legs, and preferably not on snow or ice. While scrambling Black peak with Dayhike Mike and Oren last summer I became somewhat entranced by Corteo and have thought about it often. From the vantage point of black peak or wing lake it was hard to tell what kind of scramble it would be, or if it was a scramble at all. Becky say class 3 and 4, and describes 3 variations. I chose the east face. Partly because it looked the most doable for me and I had pics of it from last years trip. I tried to find any other beta on it but was unable to, which made it more appealling, and at the same time made me a little apprehensive (perfect) up.gif . Arrived at the Rainy Pass trailhead at about 7:30am. Thought briefly about checking out the Golden horn instead. I thought it was a long drive for a somewhat short scramble (corteo). Decided to stick to my guns and headed off towards maple pass under somewhat cloudy skys. Made good time to maple pass, checking out all the flowers and lake ann on the way. Just east of maple pass I left the trail, and ascended west, to a col that would drop me into the basin below the east face of corteo. As I sat down to change into my boots I thought to myself, after getting my first good views of the face, that I needed to be safe and not get in over my head. I left my trail shoes where I took them off thinking that if all went well I would be passing this way on my way out. In the mean time I had realized that the batteries in my altimeter were low, (the only replacement battery I didn't have), I really needed it because I felt the crux of the scramble was the ascending traverse north at about 7900ft, below a cliff band. To keep this short I basically followed the route described in the green cag. The only, but important variation, was that since I did not have an altimeter I ascended north way to early, spending way to much time on the exposed gravelly ledges it talked about in the cag. My gut told me to go higher on the ridge before traversing but I was afraid I would end up stranded on top of some cliff bands. I knew that on my way down I would find the more direct route which I did. Overall it was a rewarding scramble, a short approach and after leaving the ridge I needed to use my hands most of the way up, especially on the summit block. The register only had four other entries, 2001,03,04,and 05. The 05 entry I thought was a poster on nw hikers, but I must be mistaken, just similar name. The peak definitly looks more imposing from the west than east. Here are some pics. I still do not know the names of most of the peaks in the area, but the views were great. Ed
paintbrush
paintbrush
sunning marmot
sunning marmot
black peak and wing lake
black peak and wing lake
east face
east face
last year
last year
corteo
corteo
summit
summit
summit pack
summit pack
wing lake
wing lake
black and lewis
black and lewis
view
view
looking down
looking down
lake ann
lake ann
pan
pan

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostMon Jul 25, 2005 9:09 pm 
Wow! nice pictures Ed and congrads up.gif I like that view of Black peak ,looks like an all scree affair now. Thanks for sharing, now I know what Wing lake looks like thawed out-Sweet!

Ebrace life!

PostMon Jul 25, 2005 9:14 pm 
Beauty! I slipped and cut my hand at about 7900' on that route (if I was on route dizzy.gif ) a few months back. Couldn't stop the bleeding so I didn't make it. Love your pics! I'll be back. up.gif

Edd

Edd
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 6:48 am 
Thanks, the worst part was all the loose rock on the ledges, but by staying on the ridge as long as posible avoids alot of that, as I found out on the way down.