Forum Index > Trip Reports > Morpheus / Dog Mtn 8/19/05
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Aug 22, 2005 12:28 pm 
Since I had my 1/2 work Friday....Karen once again granted me permission to attend to my hobby. I left the Dog Mtn trailhead at 2:00p.m. I did not have the bicycle with me at the time, and I would definitely recommend a bike! I walked the 1.5 miles until the road turns to trail and followed the trail up and up. I mainly used Fred Beavon's trip report from Mt. Morpheus (7/28/04) to assist me. I was surprised to find the trail turning into a wonderful meadow round the ridgeline of Dog Mtn and I feasted on berries. About 1/2 the blueberries were sourish while only about 1/4 or the huckleberries were unripened. I took the trail to the Anderson Lake Pass dropped about 60 feet and then headed in a westerly direction toward Morpheus (peak 5432) on top of boulders. I went over the south ridge of peak 5312 at the 5050 foot level and stayed pretty much at that elevation (never dropping below 5000) traversing over to the notch NW of Morpheus. The only trouble with this traverse was the thick heather. Bushwacking was nonexistent. I avoided going up point 5423 as Fred indicated with terrible trees. I then went up the notch and went through some minor class 3 and some scrub trees to the top. A helicopter soon passed by carrying tourists, but I could not tell if they knew I was on this point of rock. The last person to sign in was Fred Beavon in Fay Pullen's register. I retraced my steps back, hindered by good berries on the route. I have stains on my boots becuase I went through so many small berry bushes. I walk the trail back until entering the small trees below Dog and easily went up to the summit. Once again, Fred Beavon was the last to sign in from 2004 on a separate trip from another Fay Pullen register. Down the trail. Back to the car via headlamp at 9:30. 7.5 hours round trip. Not a bad time with the elimination of bushwacking where so much of it exists. Stefan

Art is an adventure.

Now I Fly
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Aug 22, 2005 3:11 pm 
On Morpheus, Mike Collins and I signed JR's first ascent register and few years ago. Is it gone?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message